Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JimMcGee
  • 1 Post By JimMcGee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2013

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road
Show us your favorite hangout!

In the spirit of the current "Show us your home port" thread, how about sharing pics / stories about your favorite watering holes or beachside bars and restaurants? There may have already been other threads like this, and if so my apologies for the duplication, but with the way watering holes some times come and go I thought it wouldn't hurt to refresh?

Here's a start: when I kep my boat in the Keys there were two places that were absolutely irresistable - Calypso's on the ocean side in Key largo at MM 100....awesome food and dangerously delicious sangria. If you're in the area check it out....fairly easy access off Hawk Channel, and the canal into the marina carried 5' at high tide last time I was there by boat (about 2 years ago). 25 05 16.37 N, 80 26 28.28 W

The other favorite is the Lorelei on the bay side....when we were building the new hospital in Tavernier years ago we had our weekly "safety" meetings here, and the habit has been hard to break since. Great live music and entertainment, good cold beer, friendly people, and gorgeous sunsets. The water's skinny so when coming by water I would anchor out in the bay and dinghy in. By land or water, not to be missed if you're in the area. 24 55 17.35 N, 80 39 58.52 W

1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Show us your favorite hangout!

I miss they Keys.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-25-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Ahhhh Lorelei's. We love that place. We usually fly into Fort Lauderdale and drive down to Key West. Just north of there is were the water changes color. We always stop in for a drink, take a deep breath and say "we're here".

Your blood pressure drops to island time with the first sip.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 04-25-2013

Well On Barnegat Bay everyone knows the Captain's Inn on Forked River.

The problem is it's become too popular. On Saturday nights during the summer it's elbow to elbow. It's walking distance from our marina so we'll still hit it if there's a good band playing.

Last summer's favorite was the new Beach Bar at Southwinds Marina on Forked River. We'd end up there for happy hour after sailing. Nice vibe and good bands and staggering distance back to the boat.

Replenishing electrolytes after a day out on the water

ottos likes this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 04-25-2013

A story, so there's a bunch of us hanging out in the beach bar having cocktails and listening to the band. Our friends boat is pulled up in the slip right at the entrance from the docks and their dog Pearson is hanging out on the bow. After a while he starts fussing and crying so his owner goes over and starts wagging a finger at him and telling him to stop. No affect he just cries louder (this is NOT an abused dog). So as he's walking back into the bar the dog takes a flying leap off the boat, hits the dock running and goes straight into the bar.

His wife (the owners not the dogs) jumps up and hollers "Pearson" in that loud girly voice women use for dogs and bends down to greet him.

Turns out the dog could care less about them. He bolts right through her legs and hits the steps to the upstairs deck going full out.

I'll give you one guess where the kitchen is! Evidently the food smells were driving him crazy.

So the bouncer takes off after the dog going up three steps at a time with the owners right behind him. The dog is having a blast zigging and zagging under tables, people are flipping him french fries and the whole bar is hysterical laughing.

Thankfully the bouncer was a dog lover and thought the whole thing was fun, but Pearson got banned from the bar.

First time I've seen a dog get bounced

bigdogandy likes this.

Last edited by JimMcGee; 04-25-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.