Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2013

lapworth is on a distinguished road
Wire my Garage like a Boat?

I am building a detached garage with no electric. This makes it easier to get through permits. Any way when I finish with all the permits I was thinking what if I used solar to charge batteries. There is no problem having enough power to turn on the lights but how much do I need to run power tools. Would I need special batteries and inverters?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2013

Kh3412 is on a distinguished road
Re: Wire my Garage like a Boat?

Did. The same thing with my garage. But just one battery for led lights and a generator for tools. Got a generator for when the power goes out and exercise it when I use tools in the garage also out of the deal.
CatMan22 likes this.
Old 04-25-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

KH, that's a really neat idea!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-25-2013

mikel1 is on a distinguished road

How far is "detached"? Long extension cords . . . eliminate time trouble hassle $
Old 04-26-2013

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road

Nice workaround with the generator, but that's an awfully expensive way to run tools. But if you don't want to bury a cable for whatever reason, it's the best solution. I can't think of any other way than a generator to supply the kind of power you need for tools. It would take one heck of a battery bank and inverter to handle power tools of any real draw. The worst offender for power consumption will come from compressed air, so if you are going to use gasoline for electricity it's better to go all electric with your tools than to further waste your energy by using gasoline to make electricity and then use that electricity to compress air.

Electric is so cheap. I'd bury a 220 line and add a drop panel to the garage on the down-low but that's just me.
JimMcGee likes this.
Old 04-26-2013

djaustralia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to djaustralia

I agree with shoalfinder, If your not covering extensive distance then I'd bury pvc pipe and run an extension cord to the garage. Council or builder will need to approve and sign off on the garage so attack it well after all these folk are happy and have left the site. A narrow trench half metre deep should do. you bury to conceal it 'cause it's kinda obvious with a power cord stretched from roof to roof. An overload switch in the garage to be safe and if you ever sell up or have to move then you can simply cut any plugs/fittings and pull the cord out of the pvc pipe. A good trick to connect to the house side is tap into the back of an unused power point wall mount ect. This way it's undetectable and maybe use a fake down pipe to run cord/pvc from house to ground. If an inspector ever needs to see inside the shed just disconnect any power boards and roll the cord up on the floor and throw more cords on top. Or run power into a cupboard in the garage so it can be concealed. Remember thing of this nature are only ever a problem if authorities see it !!!!
ShoalFinder likes this.
Old 04-26-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I can get as frustrated as the next guy with some of the idiocy of building codes and more likely, their enforcers. However, electrical codes are not usually the ones that bug me. They have standards for a good reason. I would not rig permanent extension cords.

My first plan would be to bite the bullet on the permits and run 110v power to code with breakers and ample service to work.

Alternatively, the suggestion for using a generator and having a backup power supply for the house might be attractive. No practical way to have enough batteries to run 110v power tools, but lighting would be fine, especially if you use LED.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-26-2013

lapworth is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys I already have a generator and can run an extension cord less then 20 feet. I will probable go with what Kh did. I was just trying to go green.
Old 04-26-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

most powertools can be had in battery form these days. Most of them are very good (if expensive for the best) and you can keep the chargers either in the house or hooked up to your solar/battery pack in the garage.

Unless you need to run something that is a powerhog.. on those days, run an extension cord from the house

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 04-28-2013

djaustralia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to djaustralia

If running cords from house to shed, you don't need to use an "extension cord', you can go buy some 3 core electrical cable from a hardware store and run that through PVC pipe. Use a fuse panel/circuit breaker in the garage and bobs you uncle. As for going green i bet you had a slab of concrete laid for the garage eh'? Concrete is possible the most un-eco friendly building product around. Using battery powered tools is good but the time and power used to charge them would be similar to using a powered tool for a quarter of the time. I don't know about you but when i use cordless tools they never last long enough to get to the end of the jod and require multiple recharges.
ShoalFinder likes this.