Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: SEQUITUR - The Book

Looking forward to it. It should provide a few enjoyable evenings next winter. I can spend that on drinks and appetizers for the Admiral and me any single evening. It won't be fattening!

Thanks,

Down
Old 04-27-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequitur View Post
I have just approved the proof copy of my new book: "SEQUITUR - to Cape Horn in Comfort and Style". It has now been listed for pre-order on Amazon at:
Click on the image below, not on the text.

Sequitur - to Cape Horn in Comfort and Style: Michael Walsh: 9780991955602: Amazon.com: Books

It is a rather hefty tome at 680 pages, 315,000 words and over 2400 colour photos, charts and maps in an 8.5 by 11 format.

I'm working at getting a Look Inside feature up and running.
Having followed you post religiously over the ear I expect this will be excellent.

Congrts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2013
... a logical conclusion

Sequitur is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIVALO View Post
Will it be available in audible.com in the future? They are part of Amazon now.

Brad
With the eight or ten novels worth of words that are in this book, it would be a long listen. Additionally, I don't know how an audible version would handle the 2442 photos, charts and maps. As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words, so that would push the poor narrator to more than 2.75 million words.

I'm working on an eBook at the moment, but the first quote I received for conversion was based on the number of pages, images and words in the book. It was so ridiculous that it would have forced the eBook price higher than the print edition.

I have gone looking for alternatives; a fixed-format, PDF book is likely to appear in the future.

1908 Wildschut Skūtsje

Old 04-27-2013
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough

I will be getting a copy.

Your voyage both inspired me and made me very very hungry.
bljones likes this.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 04-27-2013
... a logical conclusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
Looking forward to it. It should provide a few enjoyable evenings next winter. I can spend that on drinks and appetizers for the Admiral and me any single evening. It won't be fattening!
I am told that the food pictures are not fattening.
Nor was the food aboard Sequitur fattening. During the voyage I lost 15 kilos and slimmed down to my mountaineering weight of the 1960s and 70s.

1908 Wildschut Skūtsje

Old 04-28-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Michael,
Congrats on your book.
I am wondering though, with all those pages, photos, charts etc. are there any recipes in the book?
If not, perhaps your next book will be something of a cookbook and wine pairing advice for the "not so frugal mariner".
I'm looking forward to your book on the canals of Europe too.

Everybody has one:

Old 04-28-2013

KIVALO is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I guess pictures don't translate so well into words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequitur View Post
With the eight or ten novels worth of words that are in this book, it would be a long listen. Additionally, I don't know how an audible version would handle the 2442 photos, charts and maps. As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words, so that would push the poor narrator to more than 2.75 million words.

I'm working on an eBook at the moment, but the first quote I received for conversion was based on the number of pages, images and words in the book. It was so ridiculous that it would have forced the eBook price higher than the print edition.

I have gone looking for alternatives; a fixed-format, PDF book is likely to appear in the future.
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 04-28-2013
... a logical conclusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Michael,
Congrats on your book.
I am wondering though, with all those pages, photos, charts etc. are there any recipes in the book?
If not, perhaps your next book will be something of a cookbook and wine pairing advice for the "not so frugal mariner".
Sorry, no recipes; I don't use them. My cooking is based mainly on using carefully selected fresh ingredients as much as possible and combining them with creativity and care, using skills developed during more than half a century of cooking. Some of the stuff I learned while teaching in a culinary school certainly helps.

There is lots of information in the book on selecting and stowing fresh ingredients for extended passages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
I'm looking forward to your book on the canals of Europe too.
I'm looking forward to the European adventures, the wines and the foods that will spawn the book!

1908 Wildschut Skūtsje

Old 04-28-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Congrats on the launch, Mike!

Old 04-30-2013
... a logical conclusion

Wow! Pre-orders for the book have been wonderful. It is now released and listed among the top five Sailing books in Hot New Releases on Amazon. I am pleased.

1908 Wildschut Skūtsje