Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Re: Marvels Mystery Oil

Quote:
... I read the MSDS of STA-BIL which says...
Why do people believe an MDSD is an ingredient list? It is not! In fact, I contribute to the writing of MSDSs for my company and I can promise you that we leave out most of the active ingredients.

We are ONLY required to disclose ingredients that contribute to the hazardous characteristics (the reason solvents and petro distillates are often listed) of the product. I leave out items that are subject to trade secret and are not hazardous at the levels used, and I leave out nonhazardous ingredients if they are not central to the character of the product. I believe any MSDS training class makes this clear.

(I have analyze samples of Stabil and other additives, and the effective ones contain percent levels of additives known in the industry to prevent corrosion and reduce oxidation. Google may give you answers, but it would not be appropriate to list trade secret chemicals. I never tested Marvel, though, so I can't say.)

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pdqaltair; 04-28-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Given that an MSDS may be used for many purposes (i.e., do we want to allow this to be used in a community center? pre-school?) the better ones will often say "other ingredients" or "trade secret" etc. rather than simply omit mention of some of the contents, or try to obfusticate them.
Old 04-28-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
The refined fish oil is NOT on the MSDS so that is real wonder
Because fish oil is not a safety hazard in any way it would never show up on an MSDS even if it was not a trade secret.
But the stuff definitely works really good. It is not cheap, but IMO it is money well spent, and I'm about as cheap... err...frugal... as it gets - you can ask my kids...
Old 04-28-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

As I said I use STA-BIL and there is a trade secret 5% ingredient On the MSDS

does it work ? I have no idea but have used it going back to 1972 ?

At least I can wrap my head around the fact that it may do something

There are no trade secret ingredients on MARVEL and the MSDS listing comes up to 100 %

It is another item that has been around for what seems like the beginning of time 1923 with claims like top cylinder lubricant

Marvel Mystery Oil® lubricates the entire fuel system-fuel pumps, fuel injectors or carburetors and the top-portion of the cylinders. These are areas, that by design, motor oil does not reach. Using Marvel Mystery Oil® in your fuel extends the life of these vital components by providing them with lubrication that fuel alone does not provide.

If you want to believe the above go ahead

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 04-28-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

what do you folks put in your diesel fuel?
Old 04-28-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
There are no trade secret ingredients on MARVEL and the MSDS listing comes up to 100 %
From the MSDS

o-Dichlorobenzene 0 - 5%
Fine White Mineral Oil 70 - 100%
Mineral Spirits 20 - 30%
Total 90-135%

No, that does not equal 100% and is a typical example of MSDS obfuscation. Does the product have other ingredients? Beats me, they're not telling.

Dichlorobenzene is quite nasty stuff and will dissolve varnish... and possibly gaskets and hoses. The rest will accomplish little, certainly nothing adding 2-stroke oil wouldn't do.

But damn, they've got cool marketing.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 04-29-2013

midnight sail is on a distinguished road
I wonder if marvels has a site that can tell me if its compatible with e-10? But by the sounds of it sailors are still using it without problems and now I have the ingredients.
Thanks everyone
Old 04-29-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

A diesel guy that I know said MMO is not a good idea for diesels. He does, however, suggest Cetane booster, especially for larger diesel engines. Of course, if you buy these, you'll notice that some say you can use up to twice the dose and he says that's just marketing to keep the price reasonable. You need twice the dose to really make a difference. Biocide is the other must add for diesel fuel, but not attributed to the same guy.

Perhaps the best thing you can do is to just change the oil more regularly than required. Both time and hours degrade oil performance. You don't necessarily have to change the filter more regularly. If you just suck out the oil and pour in new, it's about a 15 min job.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-29-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

thanks Minnie.You're the best. Have 4 - 50g tanks. Fuel goes through the usual racors and filters on the way in and added a "polisher" on the way out. Have added biocide before any lay ups on prior boats ( last fill and guess at second to last fill). Probably should be doing it every fill.Wondering if additional additives are necessary or desirable. Wonder when not in U.S. do you suggest to pre-filter diesel like we do our water. When I used to run in winter months some suggested anti waxing agents. Wonder if cetane boosting would screw up turbo on new engine

Last edited by outbound; 04-29-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-29-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
A diesel guy that I know said MMO is not a good idea for diesels. He does, however, suggest Cetane booster, especially for larger diesel engines. Of course, if you buy these, you'll notice that some say you can use up to twice the dose and he says that's just marketing to keep the price reasonable. You need twice the dose to really make a difference. Biocide is the other must add for diesel fuel, but not attributed to the same guy.
As an additive for my diesel fuel, I've mostly been using Stanadyne Lubricity Formula lately... When I run out of what I have, I may switch to Opti-Lube, a top performer in an independent study of diesel additives...

http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fu...itive_test.pdf

You're right about Marvel Mystery and diesel fuel. In the above test, it was one of the worst performers of all those additives tested, scored lower than Used Engine Oil, and actually degraded the performance of the baseline fuel tested...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Perhaps the best thing you can do is to just change the oil more regularly than required. Both time and hours degrade oil performance. You don't necessarily have to change the filter more regularly. If you just suck out the oil and pour in new, it's about a 15 min job.
I think the single best thing one can do, is the addition of a bypass oil filtration setup to your engine... Most regular oil filters operate within the range of 50-80 microns, whereas a bypass filter can filter impurities as small as 1-2 microns... That's a HUGE difference that is bound to pay dividends over the long haul - and when coupled with a routine of engine oil analysis, takes the guesswork out of scheduled oil changes, and can often result in extending the change intervals to a significant degree with confidence...

Steve D'Antonio had an excellent article on bypass filtration in the Nov/Dec 2012 issue of PASSAGEMAKER, though I don't believe it can be found online...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 04-29-2013 at 02:49 PM.