Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Marvels Mystery Oil

Jon thanks. very informative. guess we'll stock up on 2% Reg Soy Power or Optilube XPD. Don't know about bypass filtration. Any other source for additional info?
Old 04-29-2013
It's the Water and More

Me and Boo is on a distinguished road

Used Marvel Mystery Oil to as the lube for my air tools. Smells good too.
Old 04-29-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

IMHO the best thing you can do is use true synthetic oil. I have seen tests where two identical engines were run side by side on dynos - one on oil and one on synth.

After umpteen hours, only stopping for oil changes - I think it was over 100,000 miles equivalent - they were torn down. The oil engine showed the usual extensive wear you'd find at that point.

The synth. engine was completely clean and all measurements were within original tolerances - essentially NO WEAR.

It's expensive stuff but a classic "pay me now or pay me later" situation.

I've been using it for years in my vehicles and the only downside I've found is a slightly increased tendency to leak - the stuff is so slippery it can creep out where oil stays in.
oldfurr likes this.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
...Wonder if cetane boosting would screw up turbo on new engine
I don't think the turbo can know one way or the other. No fuel goes through it.

You also mentioned an infrequent use of biocide. One definitely needs to dose each fill or risk bacteria growing in the tank. There is fuel sold that already has it (Valvtect certified marinas) and you need to be careful not to overdose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-29-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
IMHO the best thing you can do is use true synthetic oil. I have seen tests where two identical engines were run side by side on dynos - one on oil and one on synth.

After umpteen hours, only stopping for oil changes - I think it was over 100,000 miles equivalent - they were torn down. The oil engine showed the usual extensive wear you'd find at that point.

The synth. engine was completely clean and all measurements were within original tolerances - essentially NO WEAR.

It's expensive stuff but a classic "pay me now or pay me later" situation.

I've been using it for years in my vehicles and the only downside I've found is a slightly increased tendency to leak - the stuff is so slippery it can creep out where oil stays in.
I don't want to bring bad luck to myself BUT I have a 1970 A4 that never had and oil filter let alone good oil for most of its life and has been happy with two valve jobs and some seals and gaskets

It continues to be happy on its now spoiled rotten diet of 15-40 Rotella

At work we have a natural gas 4.3 GM POWERED water chiller (60 hours per week run time) that's gets a Dino oil two times a year and I believe the first block died at 34,000 hours

Are atlas copco screw compressors have always been feed synthetic and while plenty of repairs have happened the screw compressor is still tight At 40000 something

I can't say for sure because it has worn out so many computers the exact hours are a bit of a mystery now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 04-30-2013

My homeport fuel has biocide in it so tanks always have biocide. Never had issue with growth. Always thought that was enough. Was concerned that with higher cetane power produced at a given rpm would be different and this might effect the amount of air required so effect turbo function. Guess with higher cetane get more rpms with less fuel or fuel to air ratio not effected. Thanks for setting me straight.
Old 04-30-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Jon thanks. very informative. guess we'll stock up on 2% Reg Soy Power or Optilube XPD. Don't know about bypass filtration. Any other source for additional info?
A selection of bypass filtration manufacturers includes Amsoil, Gulf Coast Filters, Kleenoil, Racor/Parker Hannifin, and Puradyn...

No need to go with a complete system from any of these, which can run into some serious expense... Pretty easy to cobble together a system using a bypass filter adapter like this:

and a single remote filter... Or, you can go with a system that mounts both the primary and bypass filters remotely, a nice setup if your engine-mounted filter is in an awkward or difficult location to deal with...

Old 04-30-2013

sony2000 is on a distinguished road

I like those flexible oil lines. Do they come in 1/8 npt for my Atomic 4?
Old 04-30-2013

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Isn't some form of fuel lubricant needed for A-4's built before lead free gas was introduced and does Marvel Mystery Oil perform that function?
Go here: Find ethanol free gas near you! and see if you can get ethanol free gas in your area.
Old 04-30-2013

you're the best. Thanks again Jon. Had builder put fitting for filter in return. ?was that a mistake. Would it be better if bypass filter was place just before low pressure pump ?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.