Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2013

midnight sail is on a distinguished road
Marvels Mystery Oil

I have a atomic 4 and had herd that it is a good idear to use marvels mystery oil as a gas additive. I wondering if it still good to use with the ethonal gas? Or is there something better on the market?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Marvels Mystery Oil

Don't leave the dock without it! I talked with Moyer Marine about this subject several months ago, and they said there is probably no effect whatsoever using Marvel Mystery Oil with ethanol gas. I've been using the product with both A4s I've owned and believe it keeps the A4 ticking like a Swiss watch.

Gary
Old 04-28-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight sail View Post
I have a atomic 4 and had herd that it is a good idear to use marvels mystery oil as a gas additive. I wondering if it still good to use with the ethonal gas? Or is there something better on the market?
Marvel is one of those products that loads of people swear by but no one can ever prove or disprove it's effectiveness.

I can swear by it because my previous boat had a 40+ yr old saltwater cooled A4 that ran like a top. I believe the previous owner used it for 20 years and I used for 12 years via mixed in the gasoline.

I also always wear a Buddhist string bracelet. I've never been eaten by a shark or been hit by a bus chasing a lost winning powerball jackpot ticket on a windy city street.
oysterman23 likes this.
Old 04-28-2013

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about

The main reason it's added to gasoline is to slightly lubricate the combustion chambers and valves. If you have any questions on your A-4 I'd suggest going to the Moyer Marine forum. Wonderful bunch of sailors there -- super experts on the engine, super nice....
RobGallagher likes this.
Old 04-28-2013

algee is on a distinguished road

I don't pretend to know if Marvel Mystery Oil does good things to your engine, but I would tend to believe that the people that use it also spend more time checking fluids, belts and hoses, batteries, etc, etc, so they probably have fewer engine problems then other people
saillife and Minnewaska like this.
Old 04-28-2013
Commodore

n8kraft is on a distinguished road

The previous owner of my Catalina 27 had been using Marvel Mystery Oil as both a gasoline additive and replaced 1 quart when changing the oil. It's been running great on the same engine and transmission for 40 years.
Old 04-28-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

I have used Marvel Oil on everything - from chainsaws, motorcycles, to old cars and outboards. It's secret ingredient is refined fish oil (see this episode of Futurama for a reference: http://futurama.wikia.com/wiki/A_Fishful_of_Dollars ). It definitely works. Gasoline containing ethanol is extremely problematic if you let it sit for a little time. I use Ethanol stabilizer and Marvel Oil.
Old 04-28-2013

midnight sail is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the tips. I have talked with Don moyer 2 years ago and he was the one that suggested to me to use the marvels mystery oil. I don't doubt what he say he helped me out with a valve job, and a clogged watter passage. But I had some problems with the ethonal gas and my fiberglass tank. So I just wanted to make sure the marvels oil is safe to mix with ethonal gas.
Old 04-28-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

Marvels Mystery Oil

The Mystery of Marvel is much like the mystery of STA-BIL

I read the MSDS of STA-BIL which says

Petroleum Distillate CAS 64742-47-8 and as its been around for forever its mystery to me why its would be good for E-10 perhaps it does something and i use it

Marvel is 30% mineral spirits and i am completely at wonder how this can improve modern oil

The refined fish oil is NOT on the MSDS so that is real wonder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 04-28-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-28-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Tommays, Sta-Bil is 95% "carrier" but the remaining 5% is a trade secret, and that's apparently the active ingredient. They do also make a newer product for use with gasahol.

Marvel Mystery Oil has a simpler MSDS, no trade secrets showing, but various "stuff" has shown up in analysis of it that isn't listed in the MSDS, which may do something.

The effect of Sta-Bil takes a while to see, you have to let fuel get old to tell the difference. MMO...I know one guy who swears his mileage went up, that you can measure tank-to-tank on a car, a bit harder on a boat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.