Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Another sailboat lost on the Atlantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
.... I gives me a moment to pause and reflect. It also gives me time to reinforce all the precautionary things we have in place. Keep with the fundamentals of safety. Any advice for me on a short first overnight trip?
Man overboard is really the main concern. When I was sailing with the kids one of the things we made every year was a man overboard drill. That means for all, I mean each one had to do it sailing the boat alone and without the help of engine. We even took times to be more fun

He do it like this: The skipper is sailing the boat (the skipper changes) an someone throw a fender overboard and yell: Man overboard.

The skipper selects a crew member and tells him to keep pointing with the arm fully stretched to the "man" while he is maneuvering (alone) to bring the boat near the fender and on the wind side. The one that is pointing is the one that catches the "man" with a boat hook and brings it to the rear of the boat where the stair is deployed and the "man" brought aboard. Only two are involved on the operation.

With my wife and I also train this with only one and it is much more difficult not to "lose" the "man" in the water position.

Besides that at night everybody wears a life jacket with a light and is permanently secured to the boat by a a line.

I hope it helps.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 05-04-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2013

daydream sailor is on a distinguished road

Hows this for a jurney
Ian Hanomansing: Canadian Olympian paddles the Atlantic - World - CBC News
Old 05-04-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Sometimes they got lucky sometimes not but one thing is for sure someone, that not them, pays for the rescues. The last two that I have heard off (last year?) had to be rescued, one on the North sea, other in the Pacific.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-04-2013
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Rule One

The one rule of offshore sailing that absolutely MUST be observed at all times by everyone aboard is:

DO NOT FALL OFF THE BOAT!

Old 05-04-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Funny how "Family boat of 4 successfully arrives on palm frond island after uneventful crossing" never makes the news....

You're making me want to take up golf!

MedSailor
We sail a relatively small boat. Another 4 or 6 feet would be nice and may be in the cards in a year or two. One of the considerations we discuss is keeping the boat small so friends will understand that other than day sails on a sunny day it is not big enough to take others for longer trips. There are exceptions. I am a friendly guy but I am not comfortable with other folks in situations where my decisions may ask them to do things I don't understand are beyond their capabilities. I suppose it is a selfish attitude but it is a comfortable one and I go sailing to relax!

Down
Old 05-04-2013

hasher is on a distinguished road

Here is a falling out of the boat story with a happy ending. (Except for the baby goats).

A family lost their dog in rough water off Australia. The dog swam five miles to an unihabited island where it survived by eating wild baby goats. Rangers reunited dog and family four months later.