Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Another sailboat lost.

This year has been terrible, at least on our shores. Yesterday we had force 10, today force 9 and it has been like that regularly, some times worst.

These are not normal average conditions for this time of the year and maybe it is in the origin of another sailboat lost, a small and old one with 10m. They say the skipper was good...but the weather is right to cross on a 10m old boat?

They were bound to Açores (from central America), they put the Epirb on, that unfortunately had a very bad signal. A storm was going on.

It was 4 days ago. Now the weather is better, the Portuguese Navy and several vessels are looking for them (3) but all that the search rescue patrols could find was wreckage

I hope they have made it to a life raft.

Voilier disparu aux Açores*: un Falcon 50 en survol dimanche matin - Lorient - Faits divers - ouest-france.fr

Océan Atlantique. Le voilier breton reste introuvable - Morbihan - Le Télégramme

Açores.*Voilier morbihannais*en détresse : les recherches se poursuivent - Europe - Le Télégramme

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 05-04-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Another sailboat lost on the Atlantic.

While I like debating storm tactics from my armchair as much as the next guy, and prepare for the worst, I hope I NEVER see a force 10 storm from the deck of a small craft.

God be with them.

MedSailor
tdw and RickWestlake like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 04-28-2013

The news are not good: They were at about 1260km from Ponta Delgada (Açores) and that makes the search not easy. They have found wreckage at about 85km from the place where the weak Epirb signal was detected some days ago. The signal was weak and did not last.

When the boat went down the wind was gusting at 60K and there was 33ft waves. The Conditions are good now (7ft waves) but they will be bad at the end of the week.

They have three airplanes (a Falcon, a P3 Orion and a c-295), a ship was diverted (but did not find anything).

Marinha e Força Aérea em busca de veleiro francês ao largo dos Açores | Jornal Açores 9

The irony was that the 33ft sailboat was just being repaired (it was an old one) and prepared by a 25 old year guy (that was aboard) for a circumnavigation.

Voilier breton en détresse aux Açores*: les recherches se poursuivent - Lorient - Faits divers - ouest-france.fr

Old 04-28-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
While I like debating storm tactics from my armchair as much as the next guy, and prepare for the worst, I hope I NEVER see a force 10 storm from the deck of a small craft.
Couldn't agree more - especially on a boat like this...

This is awfully early in the season to be in that part of the North Atlantic, especially in a year as unsettled as this one has been... There's a pretty good reason why most boats don't begin that passage before May, or even June...

Old 05-04-2013

And another one, this time a British one in the Pacific, a 38ft:

1 saved, 1 overboard from remote Pacific sailboat | KVOA.com | Tucson, Arizona

A massive search was going on last night after a British sailor fell from his yacht in the Pacific, leaving his terrified fiancée on board alone.
The woman, also from the UK, had little sailing experience and was unable to keep track of the man as he was carried out of sight in the shark-infested waters.
She was later plucked to safety by a US Navy helicopter after calling rescue services in Britain.

Her 35-year-old partner had still not been found yesterday, more than two days after falling overboard 500 miles from land.
He was reportedly conscious and wearing a life jacket when he fell overboard. She used the satellite phone on the 38ft yacht to call the Marine Rescue Co-ordination Centre in Falmouth, Devon.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2SKFhs4Q4
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

This year had been terrible. I cannot remember so many deaths.

Regarding the French one in the Atlantic they are still missing.

On the Facebook sailors solidarity contributed with 65 000 euros to continue searching and two charted boats with voluntaries are going to sail way from Azores, as well as an airplane for a last search.

Charente-Maritime : toujours sans nouvelle du voilier « Grain de soleil » - SudOuest.fr

Last edited by PCP; 05-04-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-04-2013

flandria is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to flandria

The woman, also from the UK, had little sailing experience

This is just unbelievable. I can see inexperienced folks on a day-sail with family or friends, but when 2 of you cross an ocean, some minimum skill is essential. For example... let go off all sheets to take power of the sails and drift, for a start.

It is understandable, when alone, to lose sight of anyone overboard since you have to handle the boat to accomplish a rescue.

Still, why this lack of skill, in the first place?

Sad
Old 05-04-2013
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

I have had my C&C 30 mk 1 for a Year this month. I have learned a great deal with taking her out on the weekends day sailing. I am going on my first overnight-er the last weekend in May. My wife and I have been learning together while owning our first sailboat. We are overly cautious with ever trip. We take safety seriously. Fact of the matter we don't want to get hurt or worse die... I am more petrified of some guest falling overboard and me not being able to save them.
Our first over night trip will be a 2 Island hop and only a 45 nm trip on the ICW with a short leg out the shipping channel and back. Even tho a small trip, I have studded this trip for over a year. I don't want any surprises. I want a clean trip. I know full well that "this is the trip" that will make my wife want to do this for the next 20 years or could spoil her from going with me and I don't want to go alone. When I read these kinds of maritime disasters my heart goes out to the sailors and their love ones. I gives me a moment to pause and reflect. It also gives me time to reinforce all the precautionary things we have in place. Keep with the fundamentals of safety. Any advice for me on a short first overnight trip?
downeast450 likes this.
Old 05-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by flandria View Post
The woman, also from the UK, had little sailing experience

This is just unbelievable. I can see inexperienced folks on a day-sail with family or friends, but when 2 of you cross an ocean, some minimum skill is essential. For example... let go off all sheets to take power of the sails and drift, for a start.

It is understandable, when alone, to lose sight of anyone overboard since you have to handle the boat to accomplish a rescue.

Still, why this lack of skill, in the first place?

Sad
and how about this one:

At 9.31am yesterday, Solent Coastguard received a mayday call from a yacht reporting that one of the crew had fallen overboard.

The 63-year-old man was clipped on to the vessel by the strap on his lifejacket.

Solent Coastguard broadcast a mayday relay to any other vessels that may have been able to assist and received an offer of assistance from a rigid hull inflatable boat (RHIB) that was nearby.

The coastguard advised the two remaining crew on the yacht to inflate their liferaft and to tether it to the yacht and enable it to float to the man overboard to enable him to climb into it.

The crew managed to achieve this ensuring that the man was safe.
Read more at Yachtsmen recovered after falling overboard | Pbo

Mayday mayday, I have a crew overboard clipped to the boat. What should I do?

Regards

Paulo

Old 05-04-2013

On a more serious tone, going overboard continue to be the cause of the bigger number of fatal accidents. This one happened recently:

The search for a man feared missing overboard from a yacht near Arran is resuming at first light.

Clyde Coastguard said the fishing vessel Scotia Star found the yacht in Kilbrannan Sound on Wednesday afternoon.

The vessel was towed to harbour and an air, sea and shoreline search was launched involving a Navy helicopter, coastguard and lifeboat teams.

No sign of the man has been found and the search was suspended overnight.

BBC News - Search for man missing from yacht near Arran

And after that accidents with old boats of all types. The last one seems to be a 1959 steel pilot boat transformed in sailboat!!!! He was already been rescued in dire circumstances and now it is missing again. I bet the costs of the rescues are many times the value of that oldie...and someone is payng, not the skipper

BBC News - Appeal over 'missing' Dutch boat which left Stonehaven

Fears grow over missing boat | Herald Scotland

Old 05-04-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Funny how "Family boat of 4 successfully arrives on palm frond island after uneventful crossing" never makes the news....

You're making me want to take up golf!

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.