Forces on a dockline while docking.... - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 47 Old 05-01-2013

Re: Forces on a dockline while docking....

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
... or intuitively understand or appreciate that kinetic energy is equal to the integral of the dot product of the velocity of a body and the differential change of the body's momentum....
Yup, that's one way of making it complicated.

I guess what I'm suggesting, in a way, is a simplification; wouldn't it be nice if ropes were rated for both strength and energy absorption per foot over a few thousand cycles. That matters more, for most applications. It also makes the calculations for dock lines and anchor rodes simpler, since the surge energy is what matters. Two ropes may be of the same strength, but what about fatigue life?

Climbing ropes are rates simply; the number of standard falls survived, with a limit on extension and impact force.

(when asked how he reached the starting holds on a difficult rock climbing problem that clearly favored taller climbers - he was perhaps 5'5")

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 47 Old 05-02-2013
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
...I guess what I'm suggesting, in a way, is a simplification; wouldn't it be nice if ropes were rated for both strength and energy absorption per foot over a few thousand cycles. That matters more, for most applications. It also makes the calculations for dock lines and anchor rodes simpler, since the surge energy is what matters.....
I agree with this sentiment entirely although, frankly, I suspect most non-technical types might not understand the information and thus apply it improperly. Frankly, I would wager many do not understand the significance of the information presented in this thread though it really can be quite important. Knowing how to use a snubbing line/spring to warp a boat around, or stop her, can be the difference between relief and (serious) regret.

FWIW...

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #43 of 47 Old 05-02-2013
Thanks Courtney.

Knowing the energy absorption of the dockline might be a great idea, but whats the energy absorption of the cleat on the dock? Or the bolts holding the cleat, etc... Seems like using a better docking procedure might be a better idea since you would eliminate many of those variable.
Tempest and svHyLyte like this.

hunter Legend 37 Semper Paratus
Formerly - Tartan 34C Yawl
post #44 of 47 Old 05-02-2013
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
Knowing the energy absorption of the dockline might be a great idea, but whats the energy absorption of the cleat on the dock? Or the bolts holding the cleat, etc... Seems like using a better docking procedure might be a better idea since you would eliminate many of those variable.
Unless I really know a marina's equipment, I will only surge/snub from a piling. I have seen more than one bulkhead/dock cleat ripped out by a snubbing/surge line and with the line under much pressure, they are slung like a rock from a sling-shot.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #45 of 47 Old 05-02-2013

Quote:
Unless I really know a marina's equipment, I will only surge/snub from a piling. I have seen more than one bulkhead/dock cleat ripped out by a snubbing/surge line and with the line under much pressure, they are slung like a rock from a sling-shot.
Ain't that the truth! I've seen more than one cleat pulled out and a couple launched. Visiting backwater marinas while exploring is a good way to learn alternate docking procedures. Most are not very well equiped with cleats so pilings and other protrusions have to suffice. I really like the looks of that docking thingy for use with a boat hook and after reading this thread will go out and practice other methods besides just going slow.

Kevin
post #46 of 47 Old 05-02-2013
Courtney the Dancer

40+' sailboat, full throttle in forward, 40 knot tailwind, one line coming tight on a cleat = something is going to give. Unless it's a perfectly straight, unobstructed path from the deck to the dock cleat there's going to be a chafe/break spot, and unless both ends are spliced eyes any knot is going to reduce the breaking strength of the line by about 50%. I suspect that the skipper was allowing the line to slip around the winch to avoid the shock load.

John
SV Laurie Anne

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

post #47 of 47 Old 05-02-2013
Thanks Courtney.

Quote:
I've also seen old pilings that were previously thought very strong simply break off..

hunter Legend 37 Semper Paratus
Formerly - Tartan 34C Yawl

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.