Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2013

SailOrNothing is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailrite LSZ-1

Also, I'm sure that shipping for a machine this size and weight is comparable to fuel burn in going to pick it up. Seems that I'm now talking myself into buying this one. I've been looking for a solid month now and this is about the best price I've come by with all of the accessaries included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

I bought a new machine with accessories from Sailrite. Even with the costs of driving, it's still a much lower cost to you and with the work you plan on doing, it'll be worth it. I hope it works out for you.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 04-29-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

I just did new interior cushions for my boat using an old Sears all metal machine I picked up at a second hand charity store for $10.00. I've tested it sewing Pacific blue Sunbrella, does 4 layers just fine. Pretty sure one only needs zig zag doing sails.

Anybody have zig zag stitching on their bimini?
night0wl and jimgo like this.
Old 04-29-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

I have an LZ-1, it's a great machine... I found a good deal on mine years ago, but based upon the current prices, I might be looking for a less expensive alternative if I were buying again today...

One you might check out is this Barracuda from Defender...

Reliable Barracuda Sewing Machine

I have never seen one of these myself, but at least to my eye from the pics provided, it appears to be virtually identical to the Sailrite in most respects... have no idea about the weight of the balance wheel in comparison, but it might be worth investigating, or asking on a sewing forum whether anyone has any experience with one of these...
Old 04-29-2013

RonRelyea is on a distinguished road

I just bought an LSZ-1 from Sailrite ... I found a cheaper price for a new LSZ-1 on e-Bay and contacted Sailrite on their web chat to see if this was legit. They said if the e-bay one had the case and all the stuff that is included with the Sailrite machine, they would match the e-bay price ... AND THEY DID. Sailrite even matched the e-bay retailer's lower shipping!

I can't say enough good things about Sailrite's customer service. They are the BEST to deal with ... and this isn't the first time that they went "over and above" for transactions I have had with them.
jimgo likes this.
Old 04-29-2013

MMR is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MMR

FWIW, I had the opportunity to purchase a used Sailrite machine from a friend a couple of years ago. I had it in the Sailrite shop in Annapolis for cleaning/repair and mentioned that I was considering purchasing the machine. The service rep discouraged me from purchasing that particular older machine because of the upgrades that had been made to the new machines (better reliability, improved functionality, better access for servicing, etc). I ended up not buying a Sailrite, but the issue of reliability/functionality is worth considering.

The Sailrite I borrowed never got through a project without needed a trip to the shop (three trips over the year I had the machine) - I fully admit that it might have been user error, but I had screws work their way out of internal mechanisms and a monster wheel that was too sticky for me to operate. Again, it might just have been a lemon machine - the owner raved about it.

I now use a Necchi that seems to handle all the canvas work we need without too much trouble (StackPack, Dodger and Bimini repair, Winch covers, etc) and it was $350 new.
Old 04-29-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Sailrite has a 20% sale sometime around this part of the year (perhaps it has already come and gone). If you wait for the sale the new machine will be cheaper than the used.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.