SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Would a world sailing TV show really make good TV (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/98980-would-world-sailing-tv-show-really-make-good-tv.html)

nattyseaman 04-29-2013 01:26 PM

Would a world sailing TV show really make good TV

I found this crew of young sailors that are about to embark on a world sailing adventure. They are using a national television network as their portal to the world. Would sailors, seamen and the masses really tune in every week to watch a show about adventure, discovery, survival, culture, and relief? It looks interesting enough. Take a look at there video trailer and you decide..

Link Removed by tdw

SchockT 04-29-2013 01:56 PM

Re: Would a world sailing TV show really make good TV

Why not? People will watch things like " Honey Boo Boo", and rednecks killing alligators, so why not a bunch of kids on a sailing ship. If they all run around in bathing suits, fighting over each others affections it is sure to be a hit!

It seems to me there has been tv shows based on a tall ship adventure before; i believe the ship was the Picton Castle?

krisscross 04-29-2013 02:31 PM

I think it would be a great show to watch, even for non-sailors. Great theme, great views, and good looking boys and girls. What's not to like?

jameswilson29 04-29-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nattyseaman (Post 1022876)
Would sailors, seamen and the masses really tune in every week to watch a show about adventure, discovery, survival, culture, and relief?

Um,..,no..

There already are shows addressing those desires and most of them will not survive.

Most people nowadays have a ten minute attention span. Sailing is not constantly exciting enough as a spectator sport. It is like watching other people enjoying skiing or surfing. Sure, it is fun to do, but not so fun to watch.

Perhaps if you put vacuous nekkid celebrity women competing in a singing and dancing contest while sailing to win a date with an eligible bachelor of their dreams, it might stay on the air a season or two.

Captainmeme 04-29-2013 02:48 PM

Maybe if the crew held a contest on a regular schedule and the winner then couldn't get voted off, and the one voted off had to jump ship in the middle of the ocean and the last one on board got a million dollars, then maybe if nothing else was on TV, and my boat was ready to sail, and the shop was clean, and the grass was cut, I might watch.

xort 04-29-2013 02:59 PM

natty

welcome to SN
interesting first post.

Where did you find this info on the TV show? Which national television network has signed on?

tdw 04-29-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nattyseaman (Post 1022876)
I found this crew of young sailors that are about to embark on a world sailing adventure. They are using a national television network as their portal to the world. Would sailors, seamen and the masses really tune in every week to watch a show about adventure, discovery, survival, culture, and relief? It looks interesting enough. Take a look at there video trailer and you decide..
tidesofchangeproductions.com

Hey hey, guess what ? NattySeaman just happens to be .... one of the people who made that video.

Why oh why is it that some people cannot lie straight in bed ?

NS ... or should I say Brandon ? If you wish to give your website a push there is really no need and fluck all good sense in playing the old "well golly gosh and gee whizz look at this wicked website I stumbled across .... quite by accident of course " game .... when you have used your real name and email address at sign up.

So ...... amend your post to achnowledge you are one of the owners of the website and put "film producers" or something similar in your signature. You know I think you tried this on last year sometime, correct ? You got stomped on then as well. Living is only half of it mate .... the learning bit is important as well.

anywho ... I wish I could get someone else to pay for my cruising so all this negativity might just be envy on my part.

Cheers

Andrew B

travlineasy 04-29-2013 10:13 PM

Are you kidding? To be a popular show today you need sex, drugs, blood, guts, gore, nudity, profanity, and everything has to go really fast. As they say in New Jersey " fuhgeddaboudit!" ;)

KIVALO 04-29-2013 10:22 PM

I have never watched any "reality" TV show and I never will. There is not one single thing real about those shows.

Now if they did a documentary, well, that's different...

Kalina-Lona 04-30-2013 06:00 AM

Hi, I know most reality TV is up to the individual. I think some focus on the good things we can do would be interesting to watch.
That's why I follow "Cruising Lealea" on You tube, watching Laura and Chuck (members here) sailing across the Pacific recently from Hawaii to Alaska. This couple let us share their everyday life aboard their Albin Vega 27. Laura is an avid photographer and their work is amazing. I'd love to watch something interesting and supportive.
Cheers,