Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2013

nattyseaman is on a distinguished road
Would a world sailing TV show really make good TV

I found this crew of young sailors that are about to embark on a world sailing adventure. They are using a national television network as their portal to the world. Would sailors, seamen and the masses really tune in every week to watch a show about adventure, discovery, survival, culture, and relief? It looks interesting enough. Take a look at there video trailer and you decide..

Link Removed by tdw

Last edited by tdw; 04-29-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road
Re: Would a world sailing TV show really make good TV

Why not? People will watch things like " Honey Boo Boo", and rednecks killing alligators, so why not a bunch of kids on a sailing ship. If they all run around in bathing suits, fighting over each others affections it is sure to be a hit!

It seems to me there has been tv shows based on a tall ship adventure before; i believe the ship was the Picton Castle?
Hull#101

Last edited by SchockT; 04-29-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-29-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

I think it would be a great show to watch, even for non-sailors. Great theme, great views, and good looking boys and girls. What's not to like?
Old 04-29-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyseaman View Post
Would sailors, seamen and the masses really tune in every week to watch a show about adventure, discovery, survival, culture, and relief?
Um,..,no..

There already are shows addressing those desires and most of them will not survive.

Most people nowadays have a ten minute attention span. Sailing is not constantly exciting enough as a spectator sport. It is like watching other people enjoying skiing or surfing. Sure, it is fun to do, but not so fun to watch.

Perhaps if you put vacuous nekkid celebrity women competing in a singing and dancing contest while sailing to win a date with an eligible bachelor of their dreams, it might stay on the air a season or two.
Old 04-29-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

Maybe if the crew held a contest on a regular schedule and the winner then couldn't get voted off, and the one voted off had to jump ship in the middle of the ocean and the last one on board got a million dollars, then maybe if nothing else was on TV, and my boat was ready to sail, and the shop was clean, and the grass was cut, I might watch.
Old 04-29-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about

natty

welcome to SN
interesting first post.

Where did you find this info on the TV show? Which national television network has signed on?
Old 04-29-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyseaman View Post
I found this crew of young sailors that are about to embark on a world sailing adventure. They are using a national television network as their portal to the world. Would sailors, seamen and the masses really tune in every week to watch a show about adventure, discovery, survival, culture, and relief? It looks interesting enough. Take a look at there video trailer and you decide..
tidesofchangeproductions.com
Hey hey, guess what ? NattySeaman just happens to be .... one of the people who made that video.

Why oh why is it that some people cannot lie straight in bed ?

NS ... or should I say Brandon ? If you wish to give your website a push there is really no need and fluck all good sense in playing the old "well golly gosh and gee whizz look at this wicked website I stumbled across .... quite by accident of course " game .... when you have used your real name and email address at sign up.

So ...... amend your post to achnowledge you are one of the owners of the website and put "film producers" or something similar in your signature. You know I think you tried this on last year sometime, correct ? You got stomped on then as well. Living is only half of it mate .... the learning bit is important as well.

anywho ... I wish I could get someone else to pay for my cruising so all this negativity might just be envy on my part.

Cheers

Andrew B
Philzy3985 likes this.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 04-29-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-29-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Are you kidding? To be a popular show today you need sex, drugs, blood, guts, gore, nudity, profanity, and everything has to go really fast. As they say in New Jersey " fuhgeddaboudit!"
Old 04-29-2013

KIVALO is on a distinguished road

I have never watched any "reality" TV show and I never will. There is not one single thing real about those shows.

Now if they did a documentary, well, that's different...
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 04-30-2013

Kalina-Lona is on a distinguished road

Hi, I know most reality TV is up to the individual. I think some focus on the good things we can do would be interesting to watch.
That's why I follow "Cruising Lealea" on You tube, watching Laura and Chuck (members here) sailing across the Pacific recently from Hawaii to Alaska. This couple let us share their everyday life aboard their Albin Vega 27. Laura is an avid photographer and their work is amazing. I'd love to watch something interesting and supportive.
Cheers,

Tags
adventure , culture , discovery , world sailing