Would a world sailing TV show really make good TV - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 04-29-2013 Thread Starter

Would a world sailing TV show really make good TV

I found this crew of young sailors that are about to embark on a world sailing adventure. They are using a national television network as their portal to the world. Would sailors, seamen and the masses really tune in every week to watch a show about adventure, discovery, survival, culture, and relief? It looks interesting enough. Take a look at there video trailer and you decide..

Link Removed by tdw

Last edited by tdw; 04-29-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-29-2013

Re: Would a world sailing TV show really make good TV

Why not? People will watch things like " Honey Boo Boo", and rednecks killing alligators, so why not a bunch of kids on a sailing ship. If they all run around in bathing suits, fighting over each others affections it is sure to be a hit!

It seems to me there has been tv shows based on a tall ship adventure before; i believe the ship was the Picton Castle?

1979 Santana 30 Tall Rig
Hull#101

Last edited by SchockT; 04-29-2013 at 01:58 PM.
post #3 of 20 Old 04-29-2013

I think it would be a great show to watch, even for non-sailors. Great theme, great views, and good looking boys and girls. What's not to like?
post #4 of 20 Old 04-29-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyseaman View Post
Would sailors, seamen and the masses really tune in every week to watch a show about adventure, discovery, survival, culture, and relief?
Um,..,no..

There already are shows addressing those desires and most of them will not survive.

Most people nowadays have a ten minute attention span. Sailing is not constantly exciting enough as a spectator sport. It is like watching other people enjoying skiing or surfing. Sure, it is fun to do, but not so fun to watch.

Perhaps if you put vacuous nekkid celebrity women competing in a singing and dancing contest while sailing to win a date with an eligible bachelor of their dreams, it might stay on the air a season or two.
post #5 of 20 Old 04-29-2013

Maybe if the crew held a contest on a regular schedule and the winner then couldn't get voted off, and the one voted off had to jump ship in the middle of the ocean and the last one on board got a million dollars, then maybe if nothing else was on TV, and my boat was ready to sail, and the shop was clean, and the grass was cut, I might watch.

Nor'sea 27
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet axe and saw...RUSH
post #6 of 20 Old 04-29-2013

natty

welcome to SN
interesting first post.

Where did you find this info on the TV show? Which national television network has signed on?
post #7 of 20 Old 04-29-2013
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyseaman View Post
I found this crew of young sailors that are about to embark on a world sailing adventure. They are using a national television network as their portal to the world. Would sailors, seamen and the masses really tune in every week to watch a show about adventure, discovery, survival, culture, and relief? It looks interesting enough. Take a look at there video trailer and you decide..
tidesofchangeproductions.com
Hey hey, guess what ? NattySeaman just happens to be .... one of the people who made that video.

Why oh why is it that some people cannot lie straight in bed ?

NS ... or should I say Brandon ? If you wish to give your website a push there is really no need and fluck all good sense in playing the old "well golly gosh and gee whizz look at this wicked website I stumbled across .... quite by accident of course " game .... when you have used your real name and email address at sign up.

So ...... amend your post to achnowledge you are one of the owners of the website and put "film producers" or something similar in your signature. You know I think you tried this on last year sometime, correct ? You got stomped on then as well. Living is only half of it mate .... the learning bit is important as well.

anywho ... I wish I could get someone else to pay for my cruising so all this negativity might just be envy on my part.

Cheers

Andrew B
Philzy3985 likes this.

Andrew B

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Nation

Malo 39 Classic

Last edited by tdw; 04-29-2013 at 10:00 PM.
post #8 of 20 Old 04-29-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

Are you kidding? To be a popular show today you need sex, drugs, blood, guts, gore, nudity, profanity, and everything has to go really fast. As they say in New Jersey " fuhgeddaboudit!"
post #9 of 20 Old 04-29-2013

I have never watched any "reality" TV show and I never will. There is not one single thing real about those shows.

Now if they did a documentary, well, that's different...

s/v KIVALO
2003 Hunter 260
"Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester while loading his boat with gin.
WORK IS OVER-RATED
post #10 of 20 Old 04-30-2013

Hi, I know most reality TV is up to the individual. I think some focus on the good things we can do would be interesting to watch.
That's why I follow "Cruising Lealea" on You tube, watching Laura and Chuck (members here) sailing across the Pacific recently from Hawaii to Alaska. This couple let us share their everyday life aboard their Albin Vega 27. Laura is an avid photographer and their work is amazing. I'd love to watch something interesting and supportive.
Cheers,

Tags
adventure , culture , discovery , world sailing

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.