SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   walker bay vs water tender (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/98981-walker-bay-vs-water-tender.html)

BarryL 04-29-2013 01:43 PM

walker bay vs water tender

Hello,

My dinghy was stolen last week so I need a new one. I use it to row about 500 yards from the beach to my moored boat. I can buy a new Water Tender 9.4 for about $600 and a Walker Bay 8 for a little more (both new). The dink that was stolen was the Water Tender which I liked because it was stable and not too heavy but it didn't row all that well.

Any comments about one over the other?

I typically will row three people in the boat (including me).

Thanks,
Barry

krisscross 04-29-2013 02:38 PM

Re: walker bay vs water tender

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryL (Post 1022883)
I typically will row three people in the boat (including me).

500 yards is a lot of rowing, so I would get the Walker Bay.
Bummer your dink was stolen. If you have security issues there I would get something old and ugly.

Joel H. 04-29-2013 04:35 PM

Search Crgs-list. In my area a dink comes up every few days. $600 for a pc. of plastic is.......

CarbonSink62 04-29-2013 04:44 PM

...crazy, I know, but that's what they charge.

I have the WaterTender but I got mine lightly used for $250. If I were to buy new, it would be the WalkerBay.

When I move up to a cruising boat (see you guys later! :D ) I'm not sure if I want an inflatable or a plastic one. Probably an inflatable so I can stow it for long passages. They row so poorly, though.

Faster 04-29-2013 05:06 PM

I'd guess the water tender has more capacity and is more stable.. the WB would definitely row nicer... but with 3 on board will be tippier and low in the water.

GufShoz 04-29-2013 05:13 PM

Yeah, check Craig's List. You might even be able to buy your old one ;>)

Seriously, though, a boater at our marina did find the equipment stolen from his boat on the local Craig's List.

34crealock 04-29-2013 06:54 PM

See if you can find a 10.6 foot Pufin dink. They are made in Winterport,Me and are very stable and row very well. Hamilton Marine sells them also.

bigdogandy 04-29-2013 07:33 PM

Not familiar with the Water tender, but I have an 8' Walker Bay and love it....it is easy to row and light to tow behind the boat. But I don't think I'd want to row it with more than two adults. Definitely check Craig's list....I got mine from a Craitg's list posting for $250 and it came with oars and an electric trolling motor, all in great shape.

I also just bought a small inflatable from West Marine on sale, and although it doesn't really row worth a hoot it is nice to have the stability that comes with the tubes. Getting my self and dive gear in an out of the WB is a challenge!

BarryL 05-01-2013 12:06 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. Yesterday I bought a Walker Bay 10 in good condition with oars and stuff for $500. I brought it down to the marina today and used it for the first time. It rows much better than the watertender and seems stable enough. It is heavier than the water tender and more difficult to drag up the beach. One problem is the little wheel in the stern is great for rolling on dry land but terrible for dragging through sand. I'll remove the wheel for next time and see if that makes a difference.

Barry