Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: Dark and Stormy .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Luckily we can get the Gosling's ginger beer for $3 for a 6 pack in the regular grocery store around here. It's a relatively recent thing but I hope they keep carrying it. Price is about double elsewhere.
That wasn't the case a year or so ago before Gosling's introduced their own brand of Ginger Beer. Barritt's was hard to find and pretty much hit and miss as it seemed we almost never got it at the same place twice.

We rejoiced when Goslings hit the market and even more so when it became so common around the bay.

Barritt's might be the real thing, but Goslings is the most suitable substitute we've found (by a long shot) and we tried a LOT of substitute Ginger Beers.

That said, Dark and Stormy's are still not my favorite boat drink. I categorize DnS's among the "self regulating" drinks. Self regulating drinks are those that by their nature will stop you from over consuming. The ginger gets the best of me after a couple of DnS's.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2013
Banned

JeffreySiegel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
JeffS - I think members should start posting shore side locations to purchase drink mixing supplies on ActiveCaptian.

Love AC, btw.
That's not too far from what I'm thinking! When we started the database design, there was precious little pet information especially for anchorages. You'll notice that pets are always part of every record now.

I can definitely see creating a Dark 'n Stormy group next. Think of the impromptu rendezvous that would happen!
Old 04-30-2013

paulk is on a distinguished road

Just got back from Bermuda a week ago. A liter of Gosling's Black Seal 140 proof was $13.00 US at the airport duty free shop.
Old 04-30-2013
Banned

JeffreySiegel is on a distinguished road

I have to say it...we've tried all the good rums in Dark 'n Stormies. I really like Kraken as a sipping rum. But beyond that, I think Sailor Jerry is the best rum to blend into a DnS. It's cheap. It's easy to find. And it goes a long way.

And I'm not embarrassed that a huge bottle can be had for about $19. For some reason, the ABC store at Vero Beach always has it on sale.
Old 04-30-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
That said, Dark and Stormy's are still not my favorite boat drink. I categorize DnS's among the "self regulating" drinks. Self regulating drinks are those that by their nature will stop you from over consuming. The ginger gets the best of me after a couple of DnS's.
I agree, the ginger beer is a bit overpowering for my tastes. I can drink the occasional one, but I have to bury the ginger beer with LOTS of rum!

A more refreshing variation is rum and ginger ale. Add a squeeze of lime and lots of ice, and I can drink those all day. Not really a Dark 'n' Stormy, more like "Dark 'n' a Bit Blustery"!
PalmettoSailor likes this.
Hull#101
Old 07-23-2013

Bermudahigh is on a distinguished road

to quote one of my all time (83 yrs old) favorite sailing friend that just crossed the bar this winter, when i asked him what kind of rum i should bring to his boat, his reply
"the cheaper the better". i got him going on kraken. he loved the bottle, marketing, the story.
this old gent did 11 transatlantics, 1 run to south america.
he'll be missed.
cheers to you Burnett!!
Old 07-24-2013
"Anhinga" St. Augustine

Capt.Alex is on a distinguished road

I consider myself a bit of a Dark N Stormy aficionado. After many different tastings, the best one I have come across is made with Goslings Black Seal Rum, and a ginger beer called Regatta. Regatta is the freshest most natural tasting ginger beer I have found. It has a bit of the spicy bite, and even a small amount of ginger pulp. It is difficult to find, however some liquor stores in New England carry it. If you see it, try it.
Old 07-24-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

My wife and I "discovered" what a dark and stormy was at Pirates Beach Bar at the Bight, BVI during a huge squall. The squall had some legs to it so we ended up having a couple. Well, it took quite a while to remember which of the 120 mooring balls our boat was tied to that night. We have not touched that stuff since.
smackdaddy likes this.

Last edited by kellysails; 07-24-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-24-2013
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

Dark and stormy

blowinstink likes this.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 07-24-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
I just don't care for Ginger beer.

My drink of preference is my self named Dark Zero - Gosslings and Coke Zero (I'm diabetic).
I'll also occasionally toss down a Doctor Dark (Diet dr. pepper).
My taste buds are not worthy of good sipping rums, evidenced by the fact that I've been known to use the cherry flavored versions of the above when I want sweeter.

Heck, I think lemon flavored Mio, water and tequilla makes an acceptable Margarita.
You're one of those guys that likes a nice, tall scotch-and-root-beer aren't you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40