SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Dark and Stormy ..... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/98988-dark-stormy.html)

RJB766 04-29-2013 06:40 PM

Dark and Stormy .....

I was traveling for work this past week, unfortunately by plane and car. While in Providence RI, I was dining at a bar, (surprising to those who know me) and while finishing a pretty good IPA, I noticed there was an opened can of Barritt's Ginger Beer near me on the bar. I asked the bartender, "What are you making with Ginger Beer?" He said he was making a drink invented in Newport RI, a Dark and Stormy. I told him that a while back I spent a couple years in places like the Swizzle Inn and some establishments in Hamilton, Bermuda and I believe there are several thousand good people there and a local rum producer that may disagree. He said he thought he was right and showed me the bottle of rum that comes from Newport specifically used for the cocktail. I suggested that he get some Gosling's Black Seal Rum to make them in the future. A suggestion that I later found out may keep him out of trouble in any given British Commonwealth. If anyone knows the origin of the Dark and Stormy that may clear up this debate it may be interesting to post. If not the sailing season is upon us so make sure you are stocked up with some Ginger Beer (not Ale) and please drink responsibly and use Bermuda Dark Seal Rum.

SchockT 04-29-2013 07:23 PM

Re: Dark and Stormy .....

The Dark and Stormy is actually trademarked by Goslings, and Bermudans consider it their national drink. It certainly wasn't invented in Newport!

Gosling's Black Seal is an excellent black rum. One day I will spend the big bucks and sample a bottle of Gosling's Family Reserve, which is supposed to be amazing!

JimMcGee 04-29-2013 07:56 PM

To me a real dark 'n stormy is Goslings & Barritt's Ginger Beer.

The Goslings ginger beer is OK, but not as good at the Barrits.

According to this article in the New York Times it was invented in Bermuda after WWI.

rikhall 04-29-2013 10:00 PM

This one is GREAT!!!!

Dark and Stormy Night | Picaroons

http://www.picaroons.ca/wp-content/u...kAndStormy.jpg

Rik

JeffreySiegel 04-29-2013 10:27 PM

A Dark & Stormy is our standard boat drink. We've had taste tests with various rums and ginger beers and we always have the necessary ingredients onboard for anyone who comes nearby. The problem is getting ginger beer in many cruising areas.

If you like the drink a little more spicy than the standard Goslings, try Goya ginger beer. It definitely has more of a bite and it's often easier to find in many grocery Mexican food sections.

HardTAC 04-30-2013 01:57 AM

Dark and Stormy .....

One of the downsides of living in California is that a Dark 'n Stormy is a relatively unheard of beverage. Some high-end restaurant bars on the coast "get it", but it's tough going for Dark 'n Stormy lovers out here otherwise. We have to import the right ingredients to make them "proper"!

solosaler 04-30-2013 04:47 AM

Newport is the first place i tried a dark.
several tries later, the best place i ever had one was at the dinghy club in bermuda. its about the peeps, the rum and the view, not in that order

we have rumathalons using various ginger beers.

somebody has to do it.
njoy

4arch 04-30-2013 06:42 AM

Luckily we can get the Gosling's ginger beer for $3 for a 6 pack in the regular grocery store around here. It's a relatively recent thing but I hope they keep carrying it. Price is about double elsewhere.

SimonV 04-30-2013 07:46 AM

I have been drinking it here in Oz since before I could legally. I can claim that I and I alone introduced the good folks at the Berkeley yacht club, CA to the libation when I was there. Oz even gets a mention in wiki.

chucklesR 04-30-2013 09:51 AM

I just don't care for Ginger beer.

My drink of preference is my self named Dark Zero - Gosslings and Coke Zero (I'm diabetic).
I'll also occasionally toss down a Doctor Dark (Diet dr. pepper).
My taste buds are not worthy of good sipping rums, evidenced by the fact that I've been known to use the cherry flavored versions of the above when I want sweeter.

Heck, I think lemon flavored Mio, water and tequilla makes an acceptable Margarita.