Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2013

SAILORPHIL is on a distinguished road
Re: Man overboard drill

The effectiveness of most of these methods will all be dependent on the sea conditions and crew ability at the time. The wilder the conditions the harder they will all be to achieve. For this reason having good quality MOB marking equipment to deploy immediately is more important than the turn and hitting the MOB on the GPS. I just met two serious MOB survivors and learned much from there frightening ordeals. The timing was good as I had been looking for MOB equipment for boats I race on. The most important thing I learned from them was to deploy a visible marker immediately. In both cases the yachts could not stop quickly. Both had spinnakers up, one in 35knot winds and the other in 20 knot winds. Both ended up more than 3/4 of a mile away. If you clearly mark their location the pressure drops on the yacht to turn and therefore becomes a safer manouver, especially if shorthanded.The marker must have a large sea anchor or drogue so it does not just blow away.The MOB cannot swim well in rough conditons with cloths on so the marker must stay close to them. In both cases markers failed, one due to improper deployment, the attachment pins were pulled instead of the release pin, and one because the pull pin had siezed up. Many stick marker poles and the expensive MOM have small drogues. I found the SOS Dan Buoy comes with a really large one. Getting back on board is another challenge and can be a bigger one than finding the MOB. A fact not well known is if the MOB is suffering from hypothermia a vertical extraction can put the MOB into Cardiac Arrest due to cold blood being forced into the heart. Horizontal extraction is much safer as it reduces the likelyhood of this occuring. Make sure you have a well proven set up for getting the MOB aboard. They are really heavy when wet, tired and half frozen.
jackdale likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Did he use the gps track to find her, or some other method?

Scary. I can't sleep if my wife is at the helm and not tethered.

MedSailor
I asked for more details, here they are:
Boat was running under engine with no sails up. Auto pilot was on. Husband came up and saw wife was gone he turned boat around 180 deg and back tracked. 1 hour later he came upon wife treading water (no life jacket). Conditions were calm with little sea so she was able to climb aboard using ladder.
Old 05-03-2013

It seems most of the MOB techniques describe a recovery when the boat loses the MOB while close hauled. If you are on a run or dead run in strong wind and large waves this could mean you would have to pull at least on tack to get to the MOB. And in doing so will put you at a significant distance from the MOB. So in a run, probably be better to drop sails and use engine so you could head directly up wind for recovery.
msmith10 likes this.
Old 05-03-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
It seems most of the MOB techniques describe a recovery when the boat loses the MOB while close hauled. If you are on a run or dead run in strong wind and large waves this could mean you would have to pull at least on tack to get to the MOB. And in doing so will put you at a significant distance from the MOB. So in a run, probably be better to drop sails and use engine so you could head directly up wind for recovery.
On a downwind man overboard under sail, you do need to put a little distance between the boat and the MOB. Come about and sail back on either a close-hauled or close reach. It is fairly easy to haul in the main when coming about. Harden the foresail as best you can. When the MOB is off the quarter, heave-to and drift in.

With some practice this can be done single-handed.

A spinnaker is a whole different story but you have a crew to put to work. Even dousing a gennaker with a sock would be tough. But those are light air sails.

I would never go DDW in strong winds and sizable seas. I am almost always on a boat with a fin keel, they wallow too much and the chance of an accidental gybe is huge. I broach reach under those conditions.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 05-03-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
I asked for more details, here they are:
Boat was running under engine with no sails up. Auto pilot was on. Husband came up and saw wife was gone he turned boat around 180 deg and back tracked. 1 hour later he came upon wife treading water (no life jacket). Conditions were calm with little sea so she was able to climb aboard using ladder.
Wow. Sounds like divine intervention was the largest contributing factor. That and cool heads perhaps...

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Wow. Sounds like divine intervention was the largest contributing factor. That and cool heads perhaps...

MedSailor
Yea, she was lucky for sure. I asked if he contacted CG on finding her gone- apparently he did not. That should probably be the first thing we should do- contact CG on VHF and give them your long and Lad. Even if you think you can recover the MOB, get the CG on it as seconds may count, and they may have better recovery equipment and medics on board.
Old 05-04-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

He back tracked for an hour, without knowing if he would find her and didn't thnk to call the Coast Guard? Something is wrong. Either it's a fish story or she mouths off a lot.
Sea Dawg likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-04-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
casey - That story had a happy middle (finding her) and a sad ending. Anyone on deck alone should be tethered.

I remember similar story about a guy who went over when the lifeline against which he was leaning snapped. Fortunately there was a enough noise that wife woke up.
Leaning against a lifeline???"

Well, there you go - yet another example of a MOB situation that could likely have been averted with a modicum of common sense, and knowing how to move about a boat properly...

Never ceases to amaze me, how common those freakin' lifeline 'cushions' have become today... One of the most dangerous things one can put on a boat, IMO... Even while anchored or at the dock, I can only shake my head whenever I see lifelines around the cockpit being used, literally, as a backrest... an incredibly piss-poor practice...

jackdale likes this.
Old 05-04-2013

Sea Dawg is on a distinguished road

I once observed a MOB drill on a Pegasus Class ship with life size dummy thrown over at 52 knots in 6 foot seas. Hard to spot a 6 foot dummy on the figure 8 drill at that speed. Gone in 60 seconds!
Old 05-06-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Leaning against a lifeline???"

Well, there you go - yet another example of a MOB situation that could likely have been averted with a modicum of common sense, and knowing how to move about a boat properly...

Never ceases to amaze me, how common those freakin' lifeline 'cushions' have become today... One of the most dangerous things one can put on a boat, IMO... Even while anchored or at the dock, I can only shake my head whenever I see lifelines around the cockpit being used, literally, as a backrest... an incredibly piss-poor practice...

I was thinking that as well and I am new to sailboats