Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Re: Man overboard drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dawg View Post
I once observed a MOB drill on a Pegasus Class ship with life size dummy thrown over at 52 knots in 6 foot seas. Hard to spot a 6 foot dummy on the figure 8 drill at that speed. Gone in 60 seconds!
In one of my most stupid moments, I lost a gennaker overboard at night when it came out of a lashed bag.

Gone.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2013

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road

If you want a realistic drill throw head sized cantaloupe or a cabbage order board and try finding that...at night even.

Life jackets and lights a minimum at night.

Phil
Old 05-06-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
He back tracked for an hour, without knowing if he would find her and didn't thnk to call the Coast Guard? Something is wrong. Either it's a fish story or she mouths off a lot.
Yea, I agree, why did he not call the CG. Another co-worker told me alcohol was involved on the parts of both the man and wife, maybe why she fell overboard in the first place. Maybe husband was not thinking straight to call CG or thought he might end up in jail even if he did find her ok. Whatever the reason he was not thinking straight.

After the incident, he had lost his crew (the wife that refused to step foot on the boat again) and had a hard time finding others to sail when he wanted, so he did not do much sailing after the incident and eventually sold the boat.
Old 05-06-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

I was doing a seach on MOB and found this- interesting:
American Boating Association:Overboard: Holding the Course.

Overboard: Holding the Course
Does everybody know the standard protocol for dealing with one of the most serious boating emergencies?

When there are three or more people on a boat and one of them falls overboard, everyone who is not directly responsible for steering must take a position within sight of the helm and point steadily toward the person in the water. A rescue is possible even when the victim has started to go under, but not if no one marks - and holds - the spot.

Flotation is imperative as well, and if the victim has no vest, throw a boat ring, cushion or other buoyant object within easy reach, ideally with a line tied to the boat. You don't want to hit the person with a thrown object or with the boat, so approach cautiously - and don't attempt recovery near a turning prop.

If your boat has a GPS or LORAN, mark your position or press the MOB button.

The Coast Guard on Cape Cod had an interesting overboard call a few years ago from a yacht about 150 miles SW of Nantucket. A retired couple were taking turns at the helm, and when the husband came on deck after a 4-hour nap, he found no sign of his wife.

Rather than come about and attempt to retrace his course, he had the presence of mind to leave things just as they were - including the autopilot. An Air/Sea Search & Rescue Falcon was dispatched within minutes, and after picking up the yacht on radar the navigator computed its set and drift.

They backtracked almost 30 miles until they found the 62-year-old woman, in her orange life vest, waving a happy welcome. It's a fair bet that if the husband had broken his course in an attempt to find her himself, neither he nor the Coast Guard would have been successful.
Old 05-06-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Man overboard drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Leaning against a lifeline???"

Well, there you go - yet another example of a MOB situation that could likely have been averted with a modicum of common sense, and knowing how to move about a boat properly...

Never ceases to amaze me, how common those freakin' lifeline 'cushions' have become today... One of the most dangerous things one can put on a boat, IMO... Even while anchored or at the dock, I can only shake my head whenever I see lifelines around the cockpit being used, literally, as a backrest... an incredibly piss-poor practice...

Great post! You did a great job at making me feel pretty dumb but thanks, I dont often thanks folks for doing that . To be honest I have never really given those things much thought for what could happen. It just gopes to show that a prudent sailor thinks it all through. This entire thread is very relevant and a reminder of what we need to review every year. We have always practiced MOB drills each Spring, but haven't yet, its time for sure.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary