Cleaning up the Teak and Holly - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-30-2013 Thread Starter

Cleaning up the Teak and Holly

In my "new" 23 year old C&C the wood sole is looking pretty sad. As I am not planning on "pimping out this ride" I don't want to totally peel the wood with a heat gun and start afresh. Thinking about sanding (very carefully with orbital) the floor and adding a new finish. It won't look like new but it should be a great improvement. Please tell me if anyone else has done this before and what they used for the final finish.

Thanks, Dave
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-30-2013
Master Mariner

Re: Cleaning up the Teak and Holly

We are in much the same position on our boat. After some research, we are going to use the same finish used on gym floors and b-ball courts. However, we will strip it all the way as I'm not sure the new finish will be compatible with the old.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 04-30-2013
Remember you're a womble

I'd strip it (heat gun and scraper) and do it properly, unless the sole is basically good where a quick scuff and coat will do it, I think you'd end up with a much better result for not a lot more work.

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

post #4 of 7 Old 04-30-2013

Is the sole just oiled or does it have a clear coating (poly or varnish)? If the former, a good cleaning should get it ready for a finish. If the later, it depends on the condition. If just dull and scratched, a light sanding should get it ready for a finish. If really worn or peeling, then complete removal is really the best way to go. I agree that a product rated for gym floors would be great, any good quality polyurethane for floors should be fine.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-30-2013
Fresh water refugee

Aren't some slippier than others, I thought I saw a post about a finish that was not slippery when wet.

Experience teaches us things we would rather not know.

S/V Shakti '81 Offshore Cat Ketch 33'
post #6 of 7 Old 04-30-2013

I stripped mine with CitriStrip from Home Depot. Two applications. I recommend you take up the boards to make sure there is no water damage underneath. I had an unpleasant surprise! Luckily, epoxy is a great invention.

There used to be a product for boat soles. No longer available.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-30-2013 Thread Starter

Thanks you guys. I always seem to want to get around stuff the easy way... then I talk to folks like you and I feel bad about being half-ass! Then I do it the right way in the end. You're bad and good for me at the same time!

Thanks for the brick upside the head!!

Dave M.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.