Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: NE Insurance Rates - Reasonable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
...for anyone with assets, not carrying liability insurance is stupid.
True. And for anyone with no assets to lose, not carrying liability insurance is someone else's problem.

I read through his attempt to justify his choice not to spend $168.93 a year on insurance, and it comes across to me as a bunch of self-pitying excuses. If this guy were to cause damage to someone else's property, I suspect that we'd hear a bunch of similar excuses why he doesn't have to pay. Or more likely, he'd flee and not be heard from again.

I just wonder how the marina is willing to have him. What policy did he give them when he rented his slip?

I respect his past service to our country, but that's about where my respect stops. I mean, pay for the damn haulout and insurance surveys (those are one-time costs that can be amortized over the life of the boat) and get on with it, for chrissake. $168.93 a year, and he's not willing to pay. I don't get it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

just got a quote for how much to raise liabilty to 1m. $106/yr in addition to my base insurance which was at 500k. guess the admiral will miss two saturday nights out.
Old 05-02-2013
Fresh water refugee

katsailor is on a distinguished road

OB
Is your vessel still strapped to the deck of a US bound freighter?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Shakti '81 Offshore Cat Ketch 33'
Old 05-02-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

My boat was never on a freighter. I believe i asked about paying a freighter to take you through the canal as cargo but no a day that is seemingly pointless.

Here is my reason for not paying 170you per year, which is totally reasonable mind you. If i paid for the haul out and survey then policy right now i would have to put off leaving for yet another year. For two years i have been posting here periodically since mmy boat was a floaring piece o crap. Ive poured all my money into her, my classes, and maintaining my car and paying rent and other bills plus feeding myself. Im sick of it i saved enough money to finally go and because some insurance douche says my personal survey or marina invoices or documented picutre evidence is worthless. I spend what man? 1500 for the haulout survey and policy? When my annual income is 15kthe and the past two years over 10kthere plus the cost of the boat. So ill go without insurance. When i get another job, and im living somewhere im happy, guess what? Ill get insurance. Hell ill get a bigger better boat and a lot of other things to make living self reliant easier..
i could get an outboard for my inflateable for 500you right now too but im going to wait. 500 is more than a month in paradise.
Whether you boil it down to impetuousness or impatience is of no regard as it will add no coin to my cofffer thus no incentive to behave differently in regards to this matter at this time present. My oppinion remains that if someone would offer me a decent rate i would take it. As of yet thats has not occuered
Old 05-02-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

yup. but they got inside. it gets to Norfolk on the 21th. can't sleep nights waiting. thanks for asking.
Old 05-02-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
The problem people seem to miss is liabilityis what really puts the insurance company on the hook

I been there and done that with Seafever as when i bought it anybody that put liabilityon it would have been out of there freaking mind
Very true...

In high school a friends older brother, 18 at the time, was involved in a car accident where a single mother lost both an arm and a leg and was in a coma for about three weeks..

His parents each assumed the other one had added the son to the insurance policy. They had not.

The woman's "uninsured motorist" insurance net very quickly evaporated. Her family and their lawyer then came after Rich and his family, what else it's America....

After five years of legal battle, and HUGE legal expenses, his family was found not liable, because he was 18 at the time. Unfortunately Rich was held liable for 50% of the damages. This even though anyone in their right mind, including the officers who responded, agrees it was 100% not his fault. Didn't matter to the courts... This award for damages included loss of income, medical bills etc. etc...

Rich is now in his late 40's, nearly 31 years later, and still paying, it's not a small garnish either..... Suffice it to say that having had no insurance costs Rich forever. There is no way he will ever be able to pay off the awarded damages unless he's making 500k per year, which he's not....

Insurance companies and lawyers don't care if you don't have insurance especially if you are able bodied and earning a paycheck any little bit helps and they can go after it.....

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 05-02-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
...1500 for the haulout survey and policy?...
$1500 - $170 = $1330.

I cannot believe that haulout and insurance survey of a 27' boat would cost you $1330. My 25 footer was $300 for the pre-purchase survey ($12/foot is the going rate here), and insurance surveys are less thorough and less costly than pre-purchase surveys.

A "personal survey" of a boat is about as worthless as a "self appraisal" of one's own house. There is a reason insurance and mortgage companies hire trained, impartial professionals to do this stuff.

This is all academic anyway, because a $170 liability policy probably would not cover you outside US coastal waters, so heading out of US waters is probably the most responsible thing any uninsured boater can do.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 05-02-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-02-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Doesnt that upset you? Your friends life has been forever indebted to someone else for insurance. This is lunacy people. Lunacy. And every timr ive had something happen with my car insurance they Aalways find a clause to get them out of paying. So basically im being robbed monthly and when i need help it doesnt come. The system is screwed not my thinking. You people are too indocrinated to attempt any further discussion in this matter. I feel sorry for you. Harborless out.
Ps ur right it only coers us waters. What a crock o crap rip off. No thanks.
Old 05-02-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I hope you are more rational when it comes to passage making. Mother Nature doesn't owe you anything and is entirely less fair than the insurance system. Good luck with that.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-02-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
Doesnt that upset you? Your friends life has been forever indebted to someone else for insurance. This is lunacy people. Lunacy. And every timr ive had something happen with my car insurance they Aalways find a clause to get them out of paying. So basically im being robbed monthly and when i need help it doesnt come. The system is screwed not my thinking. You people are too indocrinated to attempt any further discussion in this matter. I feel sorry for you. Harborless out.
Ps ur right it only coers us waters. What a crock o crap rip off. No thanks.

No my friends brother in indebted because he had no insurance, not because he had insurance.. He is not paying the insurance company his payments go straight to the "victim" because he lost a court case on who was liable and who was at fault. He was only found 50% at fault but 50% of millions is still LOTS of money. If he had insurance he may not have been indebted or a lot less "indebted"..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.