Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road
Re: The Journey Commences-- read and post

Harborless,
You are wise beyond your years. It takes most of us a lifetime to figure out what is truly important. This is going to be a great adventure

Godspeed

Bill
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2013

FSMike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvio View Post
---
The Gulf Stream rarely gets closer than 15 miles from the Florida coast. ---
Until you get south of Ft. Pierce. I've seen it less than 1/4 mile from Fowey Rocks south of Miami.

Last edited by FSMike; 05-01-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-01-2013

FSMike is on a distinguished road

Harborless -

You plan on making it from Jacksonville to New Smyrna Beach in one period of daylight? Either you've got a really fast boat or you are optimistic about the distance. For starters, have you measured how far it is from your location to the Jacksonville sea buoy? The tide in that area can also make a large difference in your speed over the bottom.

Knowing how to use the bells and whistles on your GPS is a good thing, but I would recommend you start by just getting the latitude and longitude from the GPS and plotting your position and course on paper charts. I think this will help to give you a better feel for what is going on with currents, leeway, etc. and later, if you wish, you can let the electrons do it.

Double check everything before you go, and have a great time.
Old 05-01-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Until you get south of Ft. Pierce. I've seen it less than 1/4 mile from Fowey Rocks south of Miami.
Hell, most days you see it right at the sea buoy off Palm Beach...

Generally, you have to run pretty much with one foot on the beach between Jupiter and Hillsborough Inlet to stay out of the current completely... Sometimes, you'll find a bit of counter-current running south along there, but not always...

One almost always begins to feel the effect of the Stream between St. Lucie Inlet and Jupiter, there's a big eddy that usually messes up the water through there - not necessarily impeding your SOG, but it can get very sloppy through that stretch... South of Port Everglades, if you hug the beach, any current running north is usually not too bad...
Old 05-01-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Sure,
I think he is leaving from Jacksonville and crossing from West Palm. The stream (technically I think it is the Florida Current until it gets somewhere up around SC or NC then it becomes the Gulf Stream?) gets closer to shore the further south you travel. NOAA posts seasonal average flow and distance from shore maps, and the Wx broadcast on vhf gives daily updates. I still don't think he will encounter much effect from from the stream along his planned route until he jumps off.
Old 05-01-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I agree with Jon - stick with the ICW, at least to begin with. You'll learn a lot, even in the ICW.

You didn't mention which brand or model GPS you have. If you have one of the better GPS/Plotters, there's an awful lot to learn in order to get the most out of the device. Spend lots of time with the GPS turned on and operating, and the manual at your side. That GPS can be the most important safety device on the boat, other than the life jackets, compass, food and booze.

Good luck,

Gary
Old 05-01-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Take books for a navigation course with you (like ASA 105).

As far as destinations... I thought a Caribbean/Central American circumnavigation would be cool. However, if you go down through the windward islands then over to Panama, the slog up Central America and back over to Florida would be difficult. If I understand correctly the reverse would be even more difficult. Needless to say, the solution to this problem is to go through the Panama Canal and just keep going West!
Old 05-01-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Best of luck on your journey. Sounds like an excellent adventure. I'm jealous!
Make sure you have all kinds of good fishing gear and know how to catch them, if you want to save money. Take a lot of rice with you. Lots of folks in this world live on rice and fish. Get a pressure cooker and a good solar oven to save cooking fuel. Get into a basic survival frame of mind early on. That helps with sailing as well. Take time to enjoy the little things and don't push your luck - we all have only a fixed amount of luck in life so don't blow it on taking silly chances when you don't have to...
Fair winds and following seas, my friend!
Keep us posted!