Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013

RJB766 is on a distinguished road
Howmar Hauler 8 - Sailing Dingy

With my recent sailboat purchase I acquired a Howmar Hauler 8, Sailing Dinghy. It is sound and will be an adequate dinghy, however, it is missing most of what is needed to sail. And as if I do not have enough to do with the larger boat, I would like to get the Dingy in sailing shape also.

Does anyone have the specifications, drawings or some other info on the sizes, materials, etc of the:

Rudder/Tiller
Mast - most likely 2 pieces
Sail - I found that it is 35 sf - so the dimension may be around 7' x 10'
Boom and Gooseneck

It seems Howmar, formerly of Edision, New Jersey, is out of business and I cannot seem to find the dimensions for these items on line. Thanks,

Chesapeake Bay
Contest 30, 1970
Hull 134

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by RJB766; 04-30-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Howmar Hauler 8 - Sailing Dingy

If you don't have any luck here, you might be able to get info from these folks:
Harlem Yacht Club - Club Boat Program
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-30-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I've seen a number of people get dinghies like this sailing again by using windsurfing sails. They are about the right size and adapt fairly easily. You would likely lose the two part mast feature though.

My Dyer Dhow Midget has about the same size sail. The sail is 10x7ft as you predicted:
Dyer Midget Sailboat SailPlan Data and Sail Quoting System

I could take good measurements of the sailing rig if you thought that would be helpful. It sounds like your boat is quite similar to my Midget. Sailritesails sells a kit sail for my DD Midget for under $200, or a completed sail for $350.
Old 04-30-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Here's a longshot for you to try.

I have a Howmar Phantom. I'm not familiar with the Howmar Hauler, but maybe it shares some of the same parts with the Phantom.

The Phantom has been reincarnated as the Pointer 14 and is manufactured by these guys. Since they might have purchased Howmar's molds and other assets, maybe they know something about the specs for the Hauler. It might be worth a phone call.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 05-01-2013

Re: Howmar Hauler 8 - Sailing Dinghy

[QUOTE=jimgo;1023497]If you don't have any luck here, you might be able to get info from these folks:
Harlem Yacht Club - Club Boat Program[/QAnyw

Jimgo,

HYC responded to my email by saying they could not provide drawings or dimensions, but if I am in the area I am welcome to come by and take measurements myself.

Thanks anyway for the lead, they apparently have several of these dinghies rigged to sail.

I have found a photo on line and have made an attempt to scale and created drawings with dimensions of the parts I need.

If anyone out there wants these drawings you can come by and use my plans and draw them yourself.....just kidding. Really, if anyone out there is looking for dimensions for the CB/Seat, Rudder, Sail, Mast and Boom I would be more than happy to email what I came up with.

Chesapeake Bay
Contest 30, 1970
Hull 134

Last edited by RJB766; 05-01-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-01-2013

Thanks. I think I will make the sail using SailRite. I was able to scale a photo and I think I got most of the dimensions. Thanks for your suggestions.

Chesapeake Bay
Contest 30, 1970
Hull 134

Old 05-01-2013
Asleep at the wheel

That stinks. I don't have a reason to be in New York or near City Island any time soon, or I'd offer to swing by and trace the shape of the rudder onto some paper for you. I wonder if there's anyone else in the area who might be able to stop by.

BTW, I really like your "big" boat - those Contests are very nice! There was a guy selling one in NJ last fall, and it was always JUST outside my budget. Then, when I finally had the money for it, it had been sold. Oh well!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 05-02-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

If it were me, I would keep it simple, and just find a used sunfish (or other dinghy) rig. Then you would have mast, boom, sail, and rigging without having to gather all of the parts. OTOH, if you want a project, go for it.
Old 05-02-2013

Re: Howmar Hauler 8 - Sailing Dinghy

BTW, I really like your "big" boat - those Contests are very nice! There was a guy selling one in NJ last fall, and it was always JUST outside my budget. Then, when I finally had the money for it, it had been sold. Oh well![/QUOTE]

If you are ever in the Middle River area let me know and if I am down there, we can take her out for a sail. We have enjoyed learning about her and sailing on most weekends during the season. Still needs some cosmetic fixes but appears to be sound.

Chesapeake Bay
Contest 30, 1970
Hull 134

Old 05-02-2013
Asleep at the wheel

That would be great, thanks!
1975 Albacore 15