Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013
s/v Noland Insight

nolandinsight is on a distinguished road
Pascagoula To Mobile Bay

Repositioning a Morgan 35 from Gautier/Pascagoula to Mobile Bay. What routes are best/safest, and what can I expect as far as area specific hazards and sail time between the two?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2013
MOI

MiVelero is on a distinguished road
Re: Pascagoula To Mobile Bay

Hop on the ICW, head east. Stay in channel by Dauphin I bridge shallow on both sides.
Look out for barges and ship in Mobile bay.
plan on 5 to 6 hours. Watch weather.
Have fun.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
“I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning how to sail my ship.”
Louisa May Alcott
Old 04-30-2013
s/v Noland Insight

nolandinsight is on a distinguished road
Thank you so much. Sounds straight forward.
Old 05-01-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Re: Pascagoula To Mobile Bay

Monitor both 16 and 13 for the GIWW tows, and 13 for Mobile pilots. You could check in with Pilots on 13 before you get to the GIWW/ship channel intersection. The commercial guys are friendly and helpful. If you get the typical warm southerly, it's a nice reach.

And if you aren't in a hurry, have a dinghy, and want to make it a mini-cruise, head southwest out of Pasc channel and anchor in Horseshoe Cove on Horn Island. From there you can walk the short ranger path across to the beach on the Gulf, which is nice swimming with the beach to yourself. Stay overnight if you want, it's "the wilderness" and very nice. then next morning east to the ship channel again, and your choice--stay in the waterway or if nice weather duck outside into the Gulf and sail past Petit Bois and Dauphin islands and head back in at Mobile pass. This is longer but more fun I think.

Or you could skip Horn and go east in the waterway from Pasc. and anchor off the western part of Dauphin, and do the Gulf swimming thing there. Then either inside or outside Dauphin to Mobile channel.

Tide in Mobile bay isn't that big a factor but it is noticeable. so you might want to plan the trip to catch the flood tide if it's convenient. Not worth changing your schedule over though if you don't want to.

Last edited by nolatom; 05-01-2013 at 11:03 AM.