Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2013

JoeLena is on a distinguished road
Mainsheet rigging help

Hello all. Have seen plenty of posts that have me pointed in the right direction, but I could use specifics. I have a Rhodes 19 that is ready to launch, but I need some blocks for the mainsheet. I am totally clueless about what to get and could use some advice.

I have 3/8 Samson XLS for the mainsheet, and a mid-boom traveler setup. I found this setup for 4:1 on the Jamestown site for Harken, but like the idea of more affordable Garhauer blocks but not sure which is comparable and the choices are plenty. Thinking I need a fiddle block with ratchet, cam, and becket plus another fiddle block on the boom.

Could anyone offer some more detailed advice on which model to purchase. Just looking at recreational sailing, not racing. The main area is 119 sq. ft., so the load isn't great, but would like to make it easy on my kids to handle.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Re: Mainsheet rigging help

Seems like the correct setup to me. I imagine any blocks that are rated for at least 3/8 line would be fine. Could consider a ratcheting block. That makes is easier to sheet in, and provides a little resistance to easing out.
Old 05-02-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

Call Garhauer they are very helpful. I would go with a block at least 2 5/8" for the large sheave which makes the smaller one 1 3/4" . Any of their blocks will be strong enough for an R19 main. they can put together any configuration of block and cam cleat you need. A racthet block would be good and a lot easier for kids to sail with but I don't think Garhauer makes a ratchet

Last edited by overbored; 05-02-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-02-2013
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLena View Post
I have 3/8 Samson XLS for the mainsheet, and a mid-boom traveler setup. I found this setup for 4:1 on the Jamestown site for Harken, but like the idea of more affordable Garhauer blocks but not sure which is comparable and the choices are plenty. Thinking I need a fiddle block with ratchet, cam, and becket plus another fiddle block on the boom.
119 sqft is a hefty enuf mainsail to be tiring on the arms, when sailing the boat dinghy-style in stronger winds. A ratcheting lower fiddle is really helpful in that regard. Harken's Hexaratchets are good, but very expensive. BTW, that Harken "4:1 mainsheet" is actually only 3:1 with the cleating fiddle on the traveler. Strange, but true.

Attaching to the boom deserves some thought. You can use a fiddle and one beefy strop/bail/bracket, or you can spread the load among two or even three single blocks. I like a fiddle, because it is narrow. But it can require manual swiveling sometimes, and I do advise spreading the spar load. We added one of these hangers from Ronstan. Wish the shackle slot were wider. We also use 5/16" double braid for all our sheets. It's a little less comfortable w/out gloves, but it may fit smaller hands better & it most certainly runs smoother thru the blocks. Fuzzy 3/8" has enuf friction, you almost don't need a ratcheting block -- but it can be slow to dump in a puff.

Finally, give some thought to whether your cleat should open upwards or downwards. Best option is a lower fiddle with reversible cleat, so you can try both ways. On our Bucc18, the cleat releases upward: the lower fiddle is up on the CB trunk, and you are nearly always hiking way out, so a flip up will release the sheet and recleating (a rare event) can be done at your hip. On the SJ21, the lower block is on the cockpit sole. Cleating is a simple upward tug, but uncleating may require a prod with your foot. If sitting on the rail in windy conditions, we have to hold the active sheet off to one side so it doesn't accidentally re-cleat. Not sure I'm happy with it. It's down to preference and practise.
Old 05-02-2013

JoeLena is on a distinguished road

Thanks all so far, I am always nearly overwhelmed by the responses here, it is indeed a great resource.

The boom I have is new, with no attachments yet, so I am open to about anything. I had read the boom on R19 broke easily, and a couple of boats I have seen have 2 blocks on the boom, so that might be the way to go. I have the 3/8 mainsheet already, so may stick with that at least a while. I'll also look and see what they have in a reversible cleat I can/want to afford, I like the idea of being able to switch to see what works best. I don't mind paying the Harken prices, as lond as I choose something correctly the first time. There is a 'Harken 060 Little Fiddle Block 57mm ratchet cam becket' on eBay for $129, which seems like a good fit and price.

I'll have to look back at the Garhauer site for some single blocks for the boom.