Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Getting Dinghy on Deck

A bridle rigged to lift the boat level, and a spinn pole or whisker pole as a boom should make it easier to lift clear without damage.. still need to drop on deck and flip it over, though...

btw slipping several feet of 2" split foam pipe insulation over the dinghy gunwales as a fender works a treat too...
bigdogandy likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2013

MarioG is on a distinguished road

I use the main halyard to bring our Walker bay 8' dinghy. I use the boat pole to hold it off the life lines untill its high enough to bring it on. a wench and cleat on the mast helps haul and lock it when I need to move it in place.

I am the Capt of my ship but sometimes I think I had more fun just being the cabin boy.
Old 05-02-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post

I've been having similar questions about getting my dink on the foredeck and I'm enjoying this thread. I don't want to switch back to an inflatable, the hard dink rows much better and sails nicely.
As I mentioned earlier, a 2:1 spin halyard works wonders for me, makes the whole operation pretty simple singlehanded...

Another alternative for use with a regular halyard, is a handy-billy tackle arrangement of sufficient length that can be snapped onto the halyard... A very good thing to have aboard any boat, in any event...

Lift the tender vertically from the bow eye until the transom is about at deck level. Walk it forward, lift the transom up over the lifelines, set it down on deck, then lower the bow... Easy as pie...

If you're concerned about protecting the hull, a fender skirt hung in the appropriate spot should do fine... Fender skirts matching the height of your freeboard amidships, 5-6' in length (or more, depending upon the size of your boat), backed with a soft material, will also help protect your topsides whenever the tender is brought alongside...

I'm always surprised that fender skirts are not more widely used... FAR more effective, and practical, than those fleece fender covers so many seem to favor nowadays...

Faster and chef2sail like this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 05-02-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-02-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Thanks Jon. The fender skirt is a good idea and I have plenty of Sunbrella waiting for simple projects like that. The block and tackle approach is what I had already assumed I would do, I just haven't had a chance to try it yet. Knowing that you lift it bow first to flip it is helpful.
Old 05-02-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Geeze Louise...$5000

Our Garhaeur Davits were only $1200 a few years ago $1400 now. The 11/4 inch are very stout and made well. My wife and I installed them in 4 hours

You can also get a lifting davit or radar pole with detachable lift . All for under $2500 total
[/url]
Thanks for the links... But remember I need to get strong enough ones to life the dink out whilst the outboard is attached to the dink and then go cross an ocean.

Need to get the solar panels up on top too. It all adds up to heavy kit.

Mark
Old 05-02-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

I've got a Boston Whaler 11 foot tender, that probably weights 300 pounds that I put on my foredeck for long passages offshore. The way I do it is to simply hoist it up with a jib halyard. As long as I have one other person to hold it off of the hull, and to kind of guide it as I let it down, it is easy as it can be to do. Putting it back in the water is the same. I've never tried to do it anywhere but in calm water while anchored or tied up and I don't think I would want to try it anywhere else.

By myself, it takes lots of fenders to keep from scratching anything.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 05-02-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Thanks for the links... But remember I need to get strong enough ones to life the dink out whilst the outboard is attached to the dink and then go cross an ocean.

Mark
Mark,

Do you have a particular manufacturer and product in mind?

Down
Old 05-02-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
The cost of Garhauer dinghy davit's isn't only the $1400 up front, it is the extra $100 per month in moorage because it would push my boat into the next size up of slip.

I've been having similar questions about getting my dink on the foredeck and I'm enjoying this thread. I don't want to switch back to an inflatable, the hard dink rows much better and sails nicely.
I understand. So it must have ruled boats out that had davits when you bought yours too.

My reply, if you had read more thoroughly, was directed at Markseaolife. He mentioned he really wanted davits and price was the issue, and in case he said he would rather have davits but they were going to cost him an extra $5000. In your case they do not really apply.
Quote:
It's all a pain in the neck and I want davits! At $5k I think I can afford them in 2056.Markseaof life
We have found that after we placed davits on our boat that we use our dinghy many many more times than when we carried it on deck as it takes 5 quick minutes to drop it. We still cary the dinghy on deck and the engine on the rail when sailing up the coast or in projected rough weather/ passage.

We attach our spinnaker halyard to the two triangles formed by the web straps attached to the lifting points inside the dingy and on the transom. The same reinforced points used to hold the dinghy in the davits. Its a simple crank over the life lines and swing onto the deck. f we had a RIB or solid dingy I would use some small fenders on the side against the hull.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-02-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post

Mark
Mark,

These are fairly robust and not like the Kato or Kingston ones.

These are oversized and is why I suggested the 1/14 inch tubes. Next time you can go to a boat show check out their booth. Garhauer makes some industrial strength equipment.

They can be installed as stern attachments or though deck on the hull. They come with large backing plates.

I wouldn't suggest that you cross the ocean with the dinghy on the davits in any case as it could get pooped to easily.

Our davits hold our 10 ft Walker Bay ( 72 lbs) and 4 hp Tahatsu ( 70 lbs) easily and are rated at 500 lbs. The top space between them lends itself to attaching at least two large solor panels ( our friends IP 35 has them)

Just check them out as an alternative.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-02-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

I have a gap in my inermediate lifeline I open with pelican hooks. I simply pull the bow thru it, and pull her her up on deck then turn her around and tie her down . Takes seconds. Same for launching
downeast450 likes this.

Tags
deck , dinghy , halyard , heave , hoist