Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Getting Dinghy on Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I have a gap in my inermediate lifeline I open with pelican hooks. I simply pull the bow thru it, and pull her her up on deck then turn her around and tie her down . Takes seconds. Same for launching
Brent,

Makes sense to me. I replaced my lifelines with Amsteel last year. Time to add a pelican hook forward.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Not obvious to me!

Down
Old 05-02-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

We use the spin halyard and the anchor windlass, and keep the dink on deck any time we're going more than an hour from one anchorage to the next in calm water. Dragging the dink costs us the better part of a knot of speed. Connect the halyard to the dinghy bow, then hoist. Put the transom down near the mast, then ease the bow forward and down. Currently we have an inflatable but we dealt with it the same way with our Walker Bay 8.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

I wouldn't suggest that you cross the ocean with the dinghy on the davits in any case as it could get pooped to easily.
Well, not necessarily... (grin)

Guess nobody ever told this guy that the Caribbean 1500 is likely to be a ride on port tack most of the way... In which case, he probably should should have mounted the bow facing the other way... If that sucker starts collecting water from squalls and whatnot, you'd want to have the transom with the drain plug open on the low side, seems to me... That thing could catch an awful lot of water, before it would start draining while sailing on port tack - and given the extreme height of that boom, doesn't look like it would take too much breeze to lay that thing over on her ear...

Hell, I'm surprised he doesn't have the engine up there, as well...

Or, perhaps I didn't notice, and he had it stowed at the freakin' masthead...

Have I mentioned that I hate tenders on davits, or gear stowed up high, in a seaway? (grin)

Last edited by JonEisberg; 05-02-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-02-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Well, not necessarily... (grin)

Guess nobody ever told this guy that the Caribbean 1500 is likely to be a ride on port tack most of the way... In which case, he probably should should have mounted the bow facing the other way... If that sucker starts collecting water from squalls and whatnot, you'd want to have the transom with the drain plug open on the low side, seems to me... That thing could catch an awful lot of water, before it would start draining while sailing on port tack - and given the extreme height of that boom, doesn't look like it would take too much breeze to lay that thing over on her ear...

Hell, I'm surprised he doesn't have the engine up there, as well...

Or, perhaps I didn't notice, and he had it stowed at the freakin' masthead...

Have I mentioned that I hate tenders on davits, or gear stowed up high, in a seaway? (grin)
Jeez, some people will do anything to avoid having to move the stern light when they add davits.
Old 05-02-2013

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioG View Post
I use the main halyard to bring our Walker bay 8' dinghy. I use the boat pole to hold it off the life lines untill its high enough to bring it on. a wench and cleat on the mast helps haul and lock it when I need to move it in place.
I have an 8' Walker Bay and an 8' inflatable, and use the same method to lift and place them on the foredeck (not at the same time, of course!). The foam insulation Faster mentioned is great for protecting the dinghy and the hull and deck of my boat from scratches.
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry

Tags
deck , dinghy , halyard , heave , hoist