SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   High and low tide England (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/99103-high-low-tide-england.html)

davidpm 05-02-2013 04:50 PM

High and low tide England

High tide and low tide in Great Britain - Imgur

mad_machine 05-02-2013 05:08 PM

Re: High and low tide England

Friend of mine is from wales, she still cannot believe how "small" our tides are. First time I had her on the beach and mentioned the tide was coming in, she was ready to leave in 5 minutes even though we were WAY above the high tide line.

SloopJonB 05-02-2013 06:40 PM

I lived near Clevedon in Somerset for a couple of years - the tides there were phenomenal, about 50'. From what I understand, only Fundy has higher tides.

jackdale 05-02-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SloopJonB (Post 1024734)
I lived near Clevedon in Somerset for a couple of years - the tides there were phenomenal, about 50'. From what I understand, only Fundy has higher tides.

I hate to get all pedantic (well, maybe not). :o

Canada can at least claim the two highest tides. :)

Quote:

The results obtained from analysis of the data in Ungava Bay indicate a maximum predicted tidal
range to be 16.8 meters over the 19-year period from 1998 to 2016. The maximum predicted range in
Minas Basin was 17.0 meters for the same period. The estimate of accuracy at both sites was
determined to be ± 0.4 meters (95 percent confidence). As both computations essentially agree within
the limits of the error boundaries, the contest was concluded to be a draw. Both sites now share the
official accolade of “World’s Largest Tides”.
http://docs.informatics.management.d...6-2004-153.pdf

years ago I had a a long phone chat with one of the authors about why Canada uses mean and large tides instead of springs and neaps.

DonScribner 05-02-2013 07:49 PM

David,

I don't see much of a tide there.(not being contrary or anything. Here in Maine, 11 to 13 foot tides are a norm. If you're not careful, you'll get set keel-deep in a clam flat. Ask me how I know.

okawbow 05-02-2013 08:47 PM

I've been on a caribou hunt in the Torngats on the north east side of Ungava Bay. The tides were well over 30 feet, and would sometimes leave our ocean going canoe over a mile from the water at low tide.

bigdogandy 05-02-2013 08:59 PM

Being from Florida, and not having had the pleasure of traveling to such exotic places as Maine, Canada, or England, I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around the scale of these tidal variations. I've heard about the great range of tides in the Bay of Fundy but never really spent much time thinking about the timing of such a drastic change in water level. Do the tides change like this twice a day in those places, like we see here in Florida, or does this range happen over a matter of days or weeks?

:confused::confused::confused:

mad_machine 05-03-2013 08:32 AM

twice a day, like everywhere else in the world.

Not sure about Florida, but I know places like the Med, the tide can be measured in a few CM

flandria 05-03-2013 08:51 AM

Nice pictures, and thank you for the visual treat!

Some of pictures don't so much a big difference in the height of the tide as the ever-so-gentle rise of the seabottom making for a wide beach at low tide, covered with water at high tide. In these coastal shallows one pays attention, whether ashore or asea, so as to not be surprised by an incoming tide (when afoot) or outgoing tide (when afloat), especially since the shallow angle of the bottom makes for a speedy entry or retreat of the water. Once you push the tide into a (tidal) river, the effects change dramatically. When visiting Bristol - a major seaport of the old sailing British Navy - which is located several miles up-river the Avon, the river literally runs dry at low tide and the port stays wet only thanks to locks (entering and leaving the harbour would need to take the tide into account big time).

jackdale 05-03-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad_machine (Post 1024980)
twice a day, like everywhere else in the world.

Not sure about Florida, but I know places like the Med, the tide can be measured in a few CM

Some parts of the world have two high tides and two low tides (semi-diurnal). Others have one high and one low (diurnal).

You are right the Med has very little tidal range. I have not been in tidal situations in Florida. The Bahamas (Abacos) has a range of about 3 feet.