Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2013
Super Newbie

Red CFJ Sailor is on a distinguished road
Small (<20') Pocket Cruiser Cat?

Hi all!

First of all, I'm fairly new to the forums, and I wanted to thank everyone for the help RE: gear on my old FJ. She's a great boat, and I've been having a blast sailing her. Went out solo in 15-20kt and white capping on a large lake, flew the main only, and saw some serious speed out of the old girl. So much fun!

Looking forward though, I'm beginning to think it's not the most practical of vessels, not that I ever thought it was to begin with.....

I see myself getting into some weekend cruising, but my girlfriend doesn't like hiking out like I do, and to be honest, the FJ likes to roll pretty easily, and it gets a bit sketchy at times. I still want the speed, if not more, but stable/flat, comfortable, and easy to sail solo (the lady loves to sail, but not crew... she just likes to be ballast, which is fine with me!)

I've been absolutely taken by catamarans lately, but there doesn't seem to be too many pocket cruiser varieties. I'm a trailer sailor at heart, and want something easy to tow, but has all the facilities to have a relaxing, fun, and fast weekend on the water.

Here's what I've come up with:

ECO6 (not fond of the rig though)
(can't post link yet)

Gato Especial

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2013

FlyingJunior is on a distinguished road
Small (&lt;20') Pocket Cruiser Cat?

I'm kinda in the same boat (no pun intended) - have you considered more stable dinghys such as Flying Scot, Mariner, Rhodes 19, or O'Day Daysailer?
Old 05-02-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Small (<20') Pocket Cruiser Cat?

Interesting.. these homebuilt kit- type scenarios? Certainly fits the trailerable need, and both are kinda cute.... The ECOs rig would probably be much quicker to set up.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-02-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Google "Miss Cindy," a proven small cat cruiser. Jeff Gilbert has some interesting small stuff- hot chili comes to mind. If you are willing to stretch your dimensions just slightly, a Jarcat5 or 6 is a quickish simple build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bljones; 05-02-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-02-2013
Super Newbie

Re: Small (&lt;20') Pocket Cruiser Cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingJunior View Post
I'm kinda in the same boat (no pun intended) - have you considered more stable dinghys such as Flying Scot, Mariner, Rhodes 19, or O'Day Daysailer?
It's funny you mention that... Before deciding on my FJ, I was considering all of the above. I love Daysailers, and Flying Scots even more.

I think I just want to try a cat though. Not a 'let's fly a hull 4ft out of the air' Hobie, but something that keeps both in the water, and therefore, flat. I've just always thought cats have a really unique look to them, and I like to do things differently.

More deck/cabin space of the cats are pretty appealing too.
Old 05-02-2013
Super Newbie

Faster: Thanks for posting the pictures!
From what I've read, that rig on the ECO is much cheaper to build, and supposedly pretty efficient??? I'd love to see real pictures of these little guys floating around, but can't really find too much. Still though, as superficial as it sounds, I just think the ECO's rig is a bit ugly. I like the Gato's looks a bit better, but the size of the ECO.

bljones: Thanks for the suggestions!
I've read a bit about Miss Cindy, and it's quite impressive. He's braver than I am! But very neat seeing a small cat being practical enough (marginally) for some serious travel/some blue water or coastal cruising. That's exactly what I'm looking towards doing, although I'll primarily be on medium-sized lakes.
I'll be sure to look in to the others!
Old 05-03-2013

CaribDream is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red CFJ Sailor:1024697
Hi all!

I see myself getting into some weekend cruising, but my girlfriend doesn't like hiking out like I do, and to be honest, the FJ likes to roll pretty easily, and it gets a bit sketchy at times. I still want the speed, if not more, but stable/flat, comfortable, and easy to sail solo (the lady loves to sail, but not crew... she just likes to be ballast, which is fine with me!)
I have a similar situation. My wife wants to sail, and is willing to crew, but hiking out and getting spilled into the drink is not her gig. Because of a few reasons we are limited to small trailer sailers for day sailing. We chose an American 14.6 for it's stability and comfort. Hopefully it was the right choice for us. I could have had a used pocket cruiser for less money, but quick and easy rigging was also a priority.

Good luck on your hunt. I'm glad I'm not the only one looking for the "relaxed" ride for the other half

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-03-2013
Super Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribDream View Post
I have a similar situation. My wife wants to sail, and is willing to crew, but hiking out and getting spilled into the drink is not her gig. Because of a few reasons we are limited to small trailer sailers for day sailing. We chose an American 14.6 for it's stability and comfort. Hopefully it was the right choice for us. I could have had a used pocket cruiser for less money, but quick and easy rigging was also a priority.

Good luck on your hunt. I'm glad I'm not the only one looking for the "relaxed" ride for the other half
That American looks like quite a nice craft!
I think you should be quite happy with that vessel, as it looks like a great daysailer with an easy rig.
It might just be me, but it looks a little bit like an FJ....

I think you and I are looking for much the same thing for similar reasons. I'm not only looking for a 'relaxed' ride for the SO, but for myself too haha. I get a bit nervous when I start hiking out really far and the waterline moves up to the deck on the low side.

Like you, I also want something that's quick to rig and lives on a trailer. Seeing as I'll be on the lakes most of the time, I don't want to spend all morning/evening on the ramp rigging for just a few hours of fun.

I've decided on a cat for sure, as I just like a twin hull for looks, lack of any roll, and speed. Just which one..... Although the JARCATs look great, they look hard to find in the US.

Anyone have any other thoughts?
What about any manufactured small cats?
Old 05-03-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

how about....

2003 Shell boats Crab claw catamaran sailboat for sale in Washington

The jarcat is a superior boat, but you are right, hard to find in the US- so, build one- the cost is lower than you might think, it is not a difficult build, and therte is a lot of support from a good owner's group.

Old 05-03-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

Love that boat. it has a silent motor as long a you are the motor. don't ask the wife to be the motor or you will never hear the end of the motor noise