Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking at a boat tomorrow

First, let me say that in my opinion there is no better gift for a new bride than an old sailboat. That is what I have been telling my wife for years.

Second, there are many reasons for people to sell a boat. Not all of them are because there are serious problems. They may just want to unload it fast. That being said, any contract contingent on a successful, quality survey is your best insurance against a lemon.
JimMcGee and bljones like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

People spend weeks on 22' boats all the time. I'll admit that 24 or 25' would be a lot more comfortable. I spent 12 on my Catalina 25 last summer (a couple of days with a friend, the rest with my wife).

A small part of boat ownership is the purchase price. A 33' boat would cost me about $3000 more per year to own (than a 22') after moorage and bottom paint, but not counting other fees. It sounds like you are on a tight budget, so that may matter.

Last edited by Alex W; 05-02-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-02-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmeans View Post
That's what I was thinking...I'll add that this boat is in the water and the owner is willing to take it out for a sail tomorrow...I'll at least take a swim and check out the keel...
Is that New Bedford, MA? Water temps must be 50!?

Seeing the keel won't likely be make or break anyway. Save it for the haul out on the survey, if all else checks out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-02-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

I will tell you right now that any 1981 boat or any boat more than 25 years old boat has become much more difficult to get insurance for after Sandy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 05-02-2013

jkemp101 is on a distinguished road

I've owned a 18', 22', and now 28' foot boat in the last three years. It seems like West Marine, Defender, and maybe Hamilton Marine should just pony up and give me the boats. That seems to be the cheap part. Its making them the way I want them that drains the money. I'll give the boat back when I am done. It would be a good investment for them.
JimMcGee, bljones, Silvio and 1 others like this.
Old 05-03-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkemp101 View Post
I've owned a 18', 22', and now 28' foot boat in the last three years. It seems like West Marine, Defender, and maybe Hamilton Marine should just pony up and give me the boats. That seems to be the cheap part. Its making them the way I want them that drains the money. I'll give the boat back when I am done. It would be a good investment for them.
You may have just spelled out new business model for West Marine/ Defender! I won't be surprised now if I see them giving away older boats if one contracts to buy all repair parts from them.
Old 05-03-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Make sure the owner is really the owner. Could be a scam or a divorce dispute.

Not entirely difficult to imagine someone breaking into a moored boat owned by someone from away and selling it.

I would not step on the boat without first seeing documented ownership.

Also, have you outright asked him why the price is so low?

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 05-03-2013

avenger79 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Make sure the owner is really the owner. Could be a scam or a divorce dispute.

Not entirely difficult to imagine someone breaking into a moored boat owned by someone from away and selling it.

I would not step on the boat without first seeing documented ownership.

Also, have you outright asked him why the price is so low?
of course demanding to see documents of ownership would do one of two things. Either make the owner mad because you think he is lying or tell him you think the price is too low. Both points will ruin your chance of negotiation.
I have seen lower priced boats around here, many are being gotten rid of because the owner no longer wants to pay for upkeep. The chance of a boat of that age being "perfect" as stated is somewhere between zero and not on your life though, I would imagine. Like most things in life if you can't afford to dump at least the purchase price into repairs once it's yours I would consider something less expensive.

BTW Weddings have a way of becoming much more expensive than you think as well and if you try to save pennies there you will have a very mad bride.
Old 05-03-2013

ctl411 is on a distinguished road

Could be a great deal they do happen. A Formosa 46 sold a month back on sailboat lists for $15000. Original owner decent looking boat sold in a day. Boats are huge holes in the water that suck up money even when sitting. Go look it may be the deal of the month?
Old 05-03-2013

avenger79 is on a distinguished road

forgot to add, congrats on the find and good luck with the purchase should you decide to go forward. send pics