Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013

ckmeans is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking at a boat tomorrow

Well, i just looked at the boat....From a distance, it looked terrific! As I got closer, the deck was real warn down...I've never seen a topside of a boat in such bad shape....I suppose that's nothing a coat of paint couldn't fix though...All the lines and rigging were in fair shape....Down below, the cabin needed a real good cleaning...The only issue is that the carpet on the sides of the hull had been ripped off in spots and was down to the fiberglass....That is an easy cosmetic problem to fix....

Ran the motor for about 15 minutes, no obvious problems with that....

The boat has been in the water all winter, so it's got a ton of growth on the bottom, so it needs to be hauled....

Anyway, the most concerning thing here is the deck being as warn down as it is i guess...

I didn't expect a boat in good condition, but this might be more of a project than I'm willing to take on right now...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenger79 View Post
in my opinion (and keep in mind I am prob the least experienced here) on a boat that costs less then 4 grand I would not get a survey. take it for a sail, if it works and looks ok and 4 large won't hurt your wallet then buy it. I would survey more spendy boats but not something this inexpensive. Again take it for what it's worth from inexperienced sailor. I make no claims to know more then others here, just my opinion when spending my money.
Unless the OP is an experienced boat owner with skills, A survey is a good idea for safety reasons. $4k may not be a lot of money to lose by ones life is certainly worth something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 05-03-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmeans View Post
Well, i just looked at the boat....From a distance, it looked terrific! As I got closer, the deck was real warn down...I've never seen a topside of a boat in such bad shape....I suppose that's nothing a coat of paint couldn't fix though...All the lines and rigging were in fair shape....Down below, the cabin needed a real good cleaning...The only issue is that the carpet on the sides of the hull had been ripped off in spots and was down to the fiberglass....That is an easy cosmetic problem to fix....

The boat has been in the water all winter, so it's got a ton of growth on the bottom, so it needs to be hauled....

Anyway, the most concerning thing here is the deck being as warn down as it is i guess...

I didn't expect a boat in good condition, but this might be more of a project than I'm willing to take on right now...
While insurance tends to bring up rather harsh emotions IF your planning on getting it in any meaningful way a survey will be required and its pretty unlikely the boat will pass as it sits

The company's that allow self-survey will disallow a claim found to be caused by a deficiency
Tim R. likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 05-03-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmeans View Post

You aren't likely to get a "big" boat dirt cheap that doesn't require some serious cosmetics. At your price point the fundamentals are what you need to be checking. The price you quoted is less than the annual moorage bill around here for a boat that size - it's as near as dammit, free.

Is the non-skid worn or the entire deck - shiny parts as well? A Kiwigrip job on the non-skid is no biggy.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 05-03-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

CK what did you expect for nearly free? Hey. it floats, runs, has some or not most of what you need to sail it. it's been in the water allot longer then a season. BIG concern Iron keel most likely needs blasting and re-bedding with new bolts.

there's one in my YC and the owner has really made her a beauty.
JimMcGee likes this.

my current "project"!

Last edited by deniseO30; 05-03-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-03-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Four k? Use it for a season and throw it away, cheaper than a club membership? (WEG)

It would be hard to "wear" the gelcoat off a deck, that might indicate there were previous deck repairs and what you're seeing is paint that has worn. If that's the case properly repainting might mean stripping it first, and then a lot of masking or, to do a real good deck job, you need to unbolt and unseat everything on the deck and rebed it afterwards. A lot of work.

Just remember that you can't throw away a boat, if there is a problem you're not seeing, it all has to get hauled by the pound to a hazmat landfill "ka-ching!". If a survey confirmed all it needed was some paint and carpet, cosmetics, four k would be a steal.
bljones likes this.
Old 05-03-2013

avenger79 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Assuming this is a legitimate deal.

How much negotiating room do you think there is on a $3,900 boat that may already be grossly under-priced?
true, my boat was 2900 asking price.......paid 1800

anything can be negotiable
Old 05-03-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenger79 View Post
true, my boat was 2900 asking price.......paid 1800

anything can be negotiable
Agreed but your 1980 Oday 19 asking price and paid price are much closer to it's actual value.

If the deal is legit and he wants the boat sold, he should have no trouble providing proof of ownership. If that pisses him off, then the deal is even more suspect to me.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 05-03-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-03-2013

avenger79 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Agreed but your 1980 Oday 19 asking price and paid price are much closer to it's actual value.

If the deal is legit and he wants the boat sold, he should have no trouble providing proof of ownership. If that pisses him off, then the deal is even more suspect to me.

hey stalker!!.....

please take that with the humor as intended.

I do agree with you that one should make sure the boat is owned by the apparent seller, just don't know if I would demand to see documents of proof before even walking aboard. I do understand why you would ask for that as you could be somewhat liable for damage if the boat were not their's and you were seen aboard by the real owner.

Luckily this seems to have been a legit deal, in appropriate condition for the price.
Old 05-03-2013

ckmeans is on a distinguished road

The boat in the link below seems to be a better value...A bit better condition, more affordable in both price and storage costs (6 feet shorter)...I reached out to the seller...Hopefully I'll hear back and can look this afternoon...Seems like it will suit my budget better....Still has the diesel and wheel steering i'm looking for...

Quick Sale 27' 1980 Hunter Sailboat