Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013

avenger79 is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking at a boat tomorrow

see that one would raise my hackles....anytime they put "quick sale" in the ad I go into immediate red flag mode. worth a look but look carefully
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

H-33 is a great boat if you have the ability to fix er up.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-03-2013
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Assuming this is a legitimate deal.

How much negotiating room do you think there is on a $3,900 boat that may already be grossly under-priced?
Under-priced...? or over priced. The only individual who has ANY idea how the $3,900 price of this vessel relates to its VALUE is the seller, and he ain't talking.

To suggest that this low price means the price is less than the value is a totally speculative opinion. Sellers have close to perfect knowledge of the boat, and what its value really is...they will usually set an asking price above that value to satiate the bargain-hunters. The lower the value of a boat, the more likely the asking price will be well over that value, as the seller can count on certain individuals figuring a low price means they can't lose...

Suppose you own a 40 year old 33', and you know: that the diesel has low compression, there's delamination in the decks, the rudder bearings are shot, you are snipping meathooks off the standing rigging, the sails are threadbare, the cushions deserve recovering, and the instruments don't work. A similar vessel in all good working order is worth $18,000. You know it would take $30,000-40,000 to get your example into that same good working order. What do you do...you ask $3,900 and hope some bargain-hunter will come by, pay what you know is a windfall, while the buyer thinks he is getting a "good deal'

A good deal when buying a boat is to actually get what you pay for.
joebeach likes this.

Last edited by sailingfool; 05-03-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-03-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

While it may be "logical" to ask if the seller really is the title holder, it would be equally logical for the seller to say "Show me you've got $3900 to really spend".

Sorry, guys, it just isn't done that way. You assume the seller is the seller and you aren't entitled to anything more until you say "Sell me the boat" at which point you can ask for the title and whatever else you need, like a notarized bill of sale.

And when you buy the boat...You can't pay with cash, there's too much counterfeit. You can't pay with a money order, too many of them are bogus. Gee, can the seller take it on faith that you're not a Nigerian scammer?

These are the risks we take, and if you don't want to take them, don't talk to strangers.
Old 05-03-2013

MarioG is on a distinguished road

You will find Hunters of that age the decks always look very warn. They also have a problem with soft decks and the hull ribs buckling.

I am the Capt of my ship but sometimes I think I had more fun just being the cabin boy.
Old 05-03-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
Under-priced...? or over priced. The only individual who has ANY idea how the $3,900 price of this vessel relates to its VALUE is the seller, and he ain't talking.

To suggest that this low price means the price is less than the value is a totally speculative opinion. Sellers have close to perfect knowledge of the boat, and what its value really is...they will usually set an asking price above that value to satiate the bargain-hunters. The lower the value of a boat, the more likely the asking price will be well over that value, as the seller can count on certain individuals figuring a low price means they can't lose...

Suppose you own a 40 year old 33', and you know: that the diesel has low compression, there's delamination in the decks, the rudder bearings are shot, you are snipping meathooks off the standing rigging, the sails are threadbare, the cushions deserve recovering, and the instruments don't work. A similar vessel in all good working order is worth $18,000. You know it would take $30,000-40,000 to get your example into that same good working order. What do you do...you ask $3,900 and hope someone wet behind the ears will come by, pay what you know is a windfall, while he thinks he is getting a "good deal'

A good deal when buying a boat is to actually get what you pay for.
Wow, nice rant. Maybe you should notice that I said MAY be overpriced.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 05-03-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-03-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Wow, nice rant. Maybe you should notice that I said MAY be overpriced.
I would add to SF's "rant", that some buyers do not realize that boat can have NEGATIVE value to the buyer. Where you would end up with a boat that isn't worth fixing and will cost a lot to dispose of.
vega1860 likes this.
Old 05-03-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmeans View Post
The boat in the link below seems to be a better value...A bit better condition, more affordable in both price and storage costs (6 feet shorter)...I reached out to the seller...Hopefully I'll hear back and can look this afternoon...Seems like it will suit my budget better....Still has the diesel and wheel steering i'm looking for...

Quick Sale 27' 1980 Hunter Sailboat
Bring cash and find out how much $$$ to have the mast stepped and launch. I had the same requirements (wheel and diesel) but I also wanted a roller furler. The 33' sounded like a good deal but if you stay under 30' you will be amazed at the number of short money boats to choose from. There are more tiller boats than wheel boats though.

Good luck
Old 05-03-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

We now return to our previously interrupted program...

OK, a couple of practical questions:
  • How much money do you realistically have to spend -- now and over the course of the summer?
  • Work back from there -- how much money do you have to buy a boat and how much money do you have to fix it up, rent a slip/mooring, store it in the winter, etc.? Take whatever number is in your head for fixing up a boat and double it. Take the number of hours you think it will take to fix up a boat and triple it.
  • How much are you going to have to spend toward your wedding, honeymoon, new living arrangements, etc.
  • Is you new bride on board with this idea?
  • Is she on board with the idea that you'll be spending all of your free time fixing up the boat and not with her?
  • Is she a sailor?
  • Will this be a project you do together? If you think it will does she know that?

Just sayin'...
Faster likes this.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 05-03-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutoyz View Post
I am not saying you are wrong but in this case it is over 10% of the asking price...LOL
or 5% of an engine repower you weren't expecting.

If you have money to burn, skills to fix anything you come across, and like repairing as much as sailing, then by all means, forgo a survey on a BIG cheap boat.

But, if money IS tight, and you don't have the money or the skill or the time to handle repairs you didn't have the skill to spot in the first place, then invest in a survey. It's better to lose $500 on a boat you don't buy than to scrap a boat you did buy, that you shoudn't have.

Having said that, there is a great list of inspection tips here, which after poking around yourself with the help of the tips, will help you decide whether a boat is even worth surveying.

In any event, a marina will want insurance and insurance companies want a survey, so unless you are on a mooring, you will likely need a survey.
Faster and Tim R. like this.

Last edited by bljones; 05-03-2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: dang typos.