SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Looking at a boat tomorrow

5K views 59 replies 26 participants last post by  krisscross 
#1 ·
I'm looking at a 1981 33 foot Hunter tomorrow. The price is only $3900 which seems too good to be true. I've been looking for a boat like this for quite some time however I haven't really had the money. I have a wedding coming up in October that I'm trying to pay for it even if I get this great deal I'll still have to Drop another 1500 on the morning for the rest of the season... There's not a lot of detail in the ad but I spoke with the owner and he said everything is perfect. He noted that he sailed the boat to and from North Carolina just three years ago and said all the rigging is in good shape. Since this is the deal I've been looking for for so long and if I can come up with the money should I go for it or am I looking at a money pit?

Hunter 33 Sailboat

#2 ·
I'm not an expert, but had a friend sell theirs for closer to 15k. That's just too big a difference to not have something wrong. Take a look at her and sign a contract subject to a full survey, if you think it is a find. Even the cost of the haul and survey and you should be miles ahead.

#4 ·
Sailboats are always money pits. The only way to make sailing affordable is to have the boat in your driveway, and do all repairs and upgrades yourself. A 33 foot boat in a slip will be expensive. But, if you are seriously in the market, check it out.

#5 ·
I can't help but wonder what effect Sandy had on it that it seems to be selling very cheap. It might just be a great deal but I would go over it with a fine tooth comb.

Hope it works out

#6 ·
Seems TGTBT.. probably is.

A perhaps bigger question is - can you afford to support that size of boat? Not only moorage, but maintenance, upkeep/upgrades, the inevitable expenses that will creep up on you. Over time the purchase cost can pale in comparison.

Eyes wide open on this one.. but you never know....

#7 ·
It is going to be a financial stretch...I know to most the amount of money is nothing but I have a new mortgage and a wedding I'm trying to pay for...I recently moved away from the water and need a place to go on weekends...boating is in my blood so if any sailnet members would like to finance this for me I wouldn't turn you down...seriously though...I have an older 20' Cuddy cabin that will get sold to offset the first years expenses so that will help a bit...the only thing I can do tomorrow is check it out...winds are supposed to be 15-20 tomorrow so I'll see how much I can push her and go from there!

#10 ·
should I go for it or am I looking at a money pit?
You're buying a sailboat so that's a given - it's simply a matter of degree. ;)

At that price, be very careful.

#11 ·
First, let me say that in my opinion there is no better gift for a new bride than an old sailboat. That is what I have been telling my wife for years.

Second, there are many reasons for people to sell a boat. Not all of them are because there are serious problems. They may just want to unload it fast. That being said, any contract contingent on a successful, quality survey is your best insurance against a lemon.

#12 · (Edited)
People spend weeks on 22' boats all the time. I'll admit that 24 or 25' would be a lot more comfortable. I spent 12 on my Catalina 25 last summer (a couple of days with a friend, the rest with my wife).

A small part of boat ownership is the purchase price. A 33' boat would cost me about $3000 more per year to own (than a 22') after moorage and bottom paint, but not counting other fees. It sounds like you are on a tight budget, so that may matter.

#15 ·
I've owned a 18', 22', and now 28' foot boat in the last three years. It seems like West Marine, Defender, and maybe Hamilton Marine should just pony up and give me the boats. That seems to be the cheap part. Its making them the way I want them that drains the money. I'll give the boat back when I am done. It would be a good investment for them.

#17 ·
Make sure the owner is really the owner. Could be a scam or a divorce dispute.

Not entirely difficult to imagine someone breaking into a moored boat owned by someone from away and selling it.

I would not step on the boat without first seeing documented ownership.

Also, have you outright asked him why the price is so low?

#18 ·
of course demanding to see documents of ownership would do one of two things. Either make the owner mad because you think he is lying or tell him you think the price is too low. Both points will ruin your chance of negotiation.
I have seen lower priced boats around here, many are being gotten rid of because the owner no longer wants to pay for upkeep. The chance of a boat of that age being "perfect" as stated is somewhere between zero and not on your life though, I would imagine. Like most things in life if you can't afford to dump at least the purchase price into repairs once it's yours I would consider something less expensive.

BTW Weddings have a way of becoming much more expensive than you think as well and if you try to save pennies there you will have a very mad bride.

#19 ·
Could be a great deal they do happen. A Formosa 46 sold a month back on sailboat lists for $15000. Original owner decent looking boat sold in a day. Boats are huge holes in the water that suck up money even when sitting. Go look it may be the deal of the month?

#22 · (Edited)
The price should not scare you off.

I know of one particular Hunter about the same size and vintage that is languishing and has nothing at all wrong with it but will probably go to the boat yard. The owner - a friend - practically offered to sign the boat over to me if I paid the yard. The reason is obvious to anyone who has had a boat. It costs $$ to keep them.

#23 ·
The price should not scare you off.

I know of one particular Hunter about the same size and vintage that is languishing and has nothing at all wrong with it but will probably go to the boat yard. The reason is obvious to anyone who has had a boat. It costs $$ to keep them.
Yes... this COULD be the deal of the century.. OTOH it could be opening a particularly nasty can of worms. The OP just needs to really be aware of the pitfalls and be ready to walk if it starts looking like the latter...

#24 ·
I got my 27' last fall in Swansea for $3500 including $675 in storage and launch so the boat was actually under $2900 so don't feel that he is selling it too cheap. If it was completely restored in perfect condition it would go for the $15K that was in another post. If it is average for 32 years old then I would say the owner realizes he isn't getting much more than the asking price.

There are so many related costs today that old boats can't be given away. Take it out for a sail and see how you like it.

Bill

#27 ·
in my opinion (and keep in mind I am prob the least experienced here) on a boat that costs less then 4 grand I would not get a survey. take it for a sail, if it works and looks ok and 4 large won't hurt your wallet then buy it. I would survey more spendy boats but not something this inexpensive. Again take it for what it's worth from inexperienced sailor. I make no claims to know more then others here, just my opinion when spending my money.

#29 ·
But you do have to ask yourself what can you afford to lose? In addition to that if you do end up buying a real pig-in-a-poke you can end up with a disposal bill that may well be as much again.

I wouldn't survey a 3-4K boat for myself but I've been at this for over 30 years.. I think a survey for a 'newbie' is worth the education value alone.

#31 ·
Well, i just looked at the boat....From a distance, it looked terrific! As I got closer, the deck was real warn down...I've never seen a topside of a boat in such bad shape....I suppose that's nothing a coat of paint couldn't fix though...All the lines and rigging were in fair shape....Down below, the cabin needed a real good cleaning...The only issue is that the carpet on the sides of the hull had been ripped off in spots and was down to the fiberglass....That is an easy cosmetic problem to fix....

Ran the motor for about 15 minutes, no obvious problems with that....

The boat has been in the water all winter, so it's got a ton of growth on the bottom, so it needs to be hauled....

Anyway, the most concerning thing here is the deck being as warn down as it is i guess...

I didn't expect a boat in good condition, but this might be more of a project than I'm willing to take on right now...

#33 ·
While insurance tends to bring up rather harsh emotions IF your planning on getting it in any meaningful way a survey will be required and its pretty unlikely the boat will pass as it sits

The company's that allow self-survey will disallow a claim found to be caused by a deficiency

#35 · (Edited)
CK what did you expect for nearly free? Hey. it floats, runs, has some or not most of what you need to sail it. it's been in the water allot longer then a season. BIG concern Iron keel most likely needs blasting and re-bedding with new bolts.

there's one in my YC and the owner has really made her a beauty.

Reactions: JimMcGee
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.