SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Looking at a boat tomorrow (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/99105-looking-boat-tomorrow.html)

ckmeans 05-02-2013 06:00 PM

Looking at a boat tomorrow

I'm looking at a 1981 33 foot Hunter tomorrow. The price is only $3900 which seems too good to be true. I've been looking for a boat like this for quite some time however I haven't really had the money. I have a wedding coming up in October that I'm trying to pay for it even if I get this great deal I'll still have to Drop another 1500 on the morning for the rest of the season... There's not a lot of detail in the ad but I spoke with the owner and he said everything is perfect. He noted that he sailed the boat to and from North Carolina just three years ago and said all the rigging is in good shape. Since this is the deal I've been looking for for so long and if I can come up with the money should I go for it or am I looking at a money pit?

Hunter 33 Sailboat

Minnewaska 05-02-2013 06:06 PM

Re: Looking at a boat tomorrow

I'm not an expert, but had a friend sell theirs for closer to 15k. That's just too big a difference to not have something wrong. Take a look at her and sign a contract subject to a full survey, if you think it is a find. Even the cost of the haul and survey and you should be miles ahead.

ckmeans 05-02-2013 06:09 PM

That's what I was thinking...I'll add that this boat is in the water and the owner is willing to take it out for a sail tomorrow...I'll at least take a swim and check out the keel...

Barquito 05-02-2013 06:11 PM

Sailboats are always money pits. The only way to make sailing affordable is to have the boat in your driveway, and do all repairs and upgrades yourself. A 33 foot boat in a slip will be expensive. But, if you are seriously in the market, check it out.

MarioG 05-02-2013 06:12 PM

I can't help but wonder what effect Sandy had on it that it seems to be selling very cheap. It might just be a great deal but I would go over it with a fine tooth comb.

Hope it works out

Faster 05-02-2013 06:12 PM

Seems TGTBT.. probably is.

A perhaps bigger question is - can you afford to support that size of boat? Not only moorage, but maintenance, upkeep/upgrades, the inevitable expenses that will creep up on you. Over time the purchase cost can pale in comparison.

Eyes wide open on this one.. but you never know....

ckmeans 05-02-2013 06:18 PM

It is going to be a financial stretch...I know to most the amount of money is nothing but I have a new mortgage and a wedding I'm trying to pay for...I recently moved away from the water and need a place to go on weekends...boating is in my blood so if any sailnet members would like to finance this for me I wouldn't turn you down...seriously though...I have an older 20' Cuddy cabin that will get sold to offset the first years expenses so that will help a bit...the only thing I can do tomorrow is check it out...winds are supposed to be 15-20 tomorrow so I'll see how much I can push her and go from there!

Alex W 05-02-2013 06:23 PM

It sounds like a nice 22' sailboat that is well maintained, sold for about the same price, and a lot cheaper to own would be a better choice than this boat.

ckmeans 05-02-2013 06:28 PM

The 22 is certainly affordable...but I'm looking for something I can spend a week on comfortably....

SloopJonB 05-02-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckmeans (Post 1024699)
should I go for it or am I looking at a money pit?

You're buying a sailboat so that's a given - it's simply a matter of degree. ;)

At that price, be very careful.