Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2013

ckmeans is on a distinguished road
Looking at a boat tomorrow

I'm looking at a 1981 33 foot Hunter tomorrow. The price is only $3900 which seems too good to be true. I've been looking for a boat like this for quite some time however I haven't really had the money. I have a wedding coming up in October that I'm trying to pay for it even if I get this great deal I'll still have to Drop another 1500 on the morning for the rest of the season... There's not a lot of detail in the ad but I spoke with the owner and he said everything is perfect. He noted that he sailed the boat to and from North Carolina just three years ago and said all the rigging is in good shape. Since this is the deal I've been looking for for so long and if I can come up with the money should I go for it or am I looking at a money pit?

Hunter 33 Sailboat
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Looking at a boat tomorrow

I'm not an expert, but had a friend sell theirs for closer to 15k. That's just too big a difference to not have something wrong. Take a look at her and sign a contract subject to a full survey, if you think it is a find. Even the cost of the haul and survey and you should be miles ahead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-02-2013

That's what I was thinking...I'll add that this boat is in the water and the owner is willing to take it out for a sail tomorrow...I'll at least take a swim and check out the keel...
Old 05-02-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Sailboats are always money pits. The only way to make sailing affordable is to have the boat in your driveway, and do all repairs and upgrades yourself. A 33 foot boat in a slip will be expensive. But, if you are seriously in the market, check it out.
Old 05-02-2013

MarioG is on a distinguished road

I can't help but wonder what effect Sandy had on it that it seems to be selling very cheap. It might just be a great deal but I would go over it with a fine tooth comb.

Hope it works out

I am the Capt of my ship but sometimes I think I had more fun just being the cabin boy.
Old 05-02-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Seems TGTBT.. probably is.

A perhaps bigger question is - can you afford to support that size of boat? Not only moorage, but maintenance, upkeep/upgrades, the inevitable expenses that will creep up on you. Over time the purchase cost can pale in comparison.

Eyes wide open on this one.. but you never know....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-02-2013

It is going to be a financial stretch...I know to most the amount of money is nothing but I have a new mortgage and a wedding I'm trying to pay for...I recently moved away from the water and need a place to go on weekends...boating is in my blood so if any sailnet members would like to finance this for me I wouldn't turn you down...seriously though...I have an older 20' Cuddy cabin that will get sold to offset the first years expenses so that will help a bit...the only thing I can do tomorrow is check it out...winds are supposed to be 15-20 tomorrow so I'll see how much I can push her and go from there!
Old 05-02-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

It sounds like a nice 22' sailboat that is well maintained, sold for about the same price, and a lot cheaper to own would be a better choice than this boat.
Old 05-02-2013

The 22 is certainly affordable...but I'm looking for something I can spend a week on comfortably....
Old 05-02-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmeans View Post
should I go for it or am I looking at a money pit?
You're buying a sailboat so that's a given - it's simply a matter of degree.

At that price, be very careful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.