SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   changing helm style (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/99131-changing-helm-style.html)

newfiedad 05-03-2013 12:35 PM

changing helm style

I am not sure if it is possible, or way too costly, but has anyone ever converted an Oday 25 from Tiller steering to a wheel helm? :):)

bobperry 05-03-2013 12:36 PM

Re: changing helm style

Why would you even consider that?

capttb 05-03-2013 12:38 PM

Why would, oh, never mind.;)

Faster 05-03-2013 01:11 PM

Really doesn't make much sense.. lots of weight added in the wrong place for a boat that size, pricey project too, and a lot of 'tiller intended' cockpits won't accommodate a wheel that's a decent size. Too small a wheel keeps the helmperson inboard with poor sightlines to jib telltales and waves when beating.

krisscross 05-03-2013 01:31 PM

Just get a boat with a wheel if you like steering that way. In return, you will get a lot more complicated system and almost no feedback from the rudder when sailing. On a small boat like that wheel steering is an overkill. And if you want to 'pimp your boat' so to speak, there are other projects that would make a lot more sense from a practical point of view.

overbored 05-03-2013 02:27 PM

Spend the money on a new set of sails and learn how to trim them and you will not need to pull so hard on the tiller. boat will almost sail it self.

Barquito 05-03-2013 02:36 PM

I think the answer to your question is: Yes it is possible, and yes it is way too costly. And as you can see, most think it is not such a great idea. I agree is can be frustrating having a tiller sweeping through the cockpit when it is full of guests. However, at least at anchor you can tilt the thing up and out of the way, unlike with a steering pedestal.

krisscross 05-03-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barquito (Post 1025233)
I agree is can be frustrating having a tiller sweeping through the cockpit when it is full of guests.

Making a short tiller that you put on when you have a lot of guests is a very easy solution. True, you have to push a lot harder on the short tiller to steer and the sheets may be harder to reach, but it does solve your basic problem.

overbored 05-03-2013 04:00 PM

the Oday 25 has an removable rudder mounted on the transom and the tiller pivots up behind the transom so at anchor it is not in the way of anyone. but connecting it to a wheel would be a very expensive project. it would cost more then buying another boat with a wheel.

arknoah 05-06-2013 08:03 PM

I agree with the general sentiment already expressed. I was kind of in your shoes after my ASA 101 and 103 courses a couple of years ago. The course was taught on a C&C 29 foot boat with wheel steering, and it was just so intuitive, that I thought it would be preferable to tiller steering. Well, it was very difficult to find a small boat, say 25 or so feet with wheel steering I just gave up. Once I got used to the tiller, which took all of about an hour, I've not felt the need to go to a wheel.

You may wish to search the Oday sailboat owners forum at OdayOwners.com - Home, since I am sure someone has made that modification at some time in the past and they can give you the pluses and minuses of the conversion.

Good luck!