Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough
Re: 700% increase in Insurance!

Curious to see what you think about where your healthcare is going and who you blame for that?

Last summer we were doing 7000 ft vertical day hikes this summer my wifes RA kicked in high gear and she cant walk around the block

The rip off insurance company did not even blink about putting her on a 30,000 dollar a year medication that seems to be the light at the end of the tunnel

SO at lest in are case we kind of hope it keeps going like it is

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2013

pyewackette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
Curious to see what you think about where your healthcare is going and who you blame for that?

Last summer we were doing 7000 ft vertical day hikes this summer my wifes RA kicked in high gear and she cant walk around the block

The rip off insurance company did not even blink about putting her on a 30,000 dollar a year medication that seems to be the light at the end of the tunnel

SO at lest in are case we kind of hope it keeps going like it is
Based on chef2sail post that was the result of my response, in which you are referring to, according to chef2sail's mindset, why should my health insurance rates go up because you and your wife want to go hiking? Hmm?

Actually, I personally am glad it worked out for your wife. I don't like to see anyone suffer. But, it seems that there are those who out of one side of their mouth tell you that, hey, boating is expensive hobby if you can't handle it go some where else. And then there are others who try and fight the system to make it fun for everyone.

I would like to see ALL insurance companies dealt with so that they can treat everyone fair and everyone would have a chance to enjoy the funner things in life, boating and hiking.

I am sure you realize your wife's light at the end of the tunnel, has a price for others, but that's ok if I get the same chance.

The other thing is, obamacare ain't in full swing yet, so her pre-existing condition might not fair so well in the next few years, unless you are willing to pay for it. But then again, you may be able to afford to opt out, but what about those who can't.

Don't you realize that the $30,000 medication your wife takes is absurdly inflated to bring the fat cats at the top of the medical world more money from the insurance companies that charge all its customers ? It's value is not real and neither is most of the marine insurance quotes we face as boaters.
Old 05-04-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyewackette View Post
.Don't you realize that the $30,000 medication your wife takes is absurdly inflated to bring the fat cats at the top of the medical world more money
You seem to have a pessimistic view of their excess, I look at it differently in terms of maybe some day I can crew on their mega race yacht.

I used to work in a resort where Pfizer would send all the sales people and lab scientists to as a reward. It was amazing to see a group that size live it up. I was also able to enjoy some of their success in terms of significant tips. Sort of a trickle down economics.
Old 05-05-2013

Joesplace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
Just a wild guess but i am thinking your cost of living went down by at least $1845/year. Might even be closer to a 700%. I know I pay $5.99/lb for live crawfish in CA. I remember paying less than $1/lb in Nawlins.

I'm wondering how much it cost to get a boat from the Bay Area to LA?
Jordan - cost of living going down, HA! My auto insurance more than doubled, boat insurance went up by 700% and it cost $3200 just to register my two cars. The cost to move my boat from San Francisco to Slidell is about $6000 and that includes rigging at both ends. In CA we had a real slip but here it's 4 poles in the water you tie your boat to and that costs $7 a foot! The cost of renting a house is a little less as is the food so to sum it up, if I had done my homework properly, not sure I would have made the move . . .
Old 05-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesplace View Post
Jordan - cost of living going down, HA! My auto insurance more than doubled, boat insurance went up by 700% and it cost $3200 just to register my two cars. The cost to move my boat from San Francisco to Slidell is about $6000 and that includes rigging at both ends. In CA we had a real slip but here it's 4 poles in the water you tie your boat to and that costs $7 a foot! The cost of renting a house is a little less as is the food so to sum it up, if I had done my homework properly, not sure I would have made the move . . .
Hey Joe,
I grew up in the East Bay, I would love to live there if I could afford it, but can't. I lived in New Orleans for 5 years so I know the cost and quality of life difference. I used to pay $550 for a 3 room apt in New Orleans, could afford to buy and keep a boat in a slip. I can't imagine what that would cost in the bay.

I lost a truck, plane and business in Katrina, the only reason my personal possessions survived is they were on the second floor. Slidel was really hammered in Katrina and has been flooded at least once since then. Lots of people lost their homes in New Orleans and more so east of there. You are probably paying the cost of all these expenses. Lack of housing due to destruction and the reminder for the insurance companies of how expensive it is to replace everything in a 100 mile radius. When I lived there it was cheap, and fun, really fun. Why did you move, not humid enough in SF for you?
Old 05-05-2013

15 Chamale Cv E, Slidell, LA 70460 - Zillow

Wonder how much a house in San Francisco with your own dock would cost?
Old 05-05-2013

Jordan - my boat slip in Monterey Bay cost $250 per month and that included all utilities. The slip in Slidell cost the same but not close to the quality. Sailing the Pacific for years leaves many unforgettable memories and we are looking forward to cruising the Gulf but because of our cost of living has increased, other things must suffer.

We had an unexpected death in the family so we moved to BR to assist with family needs. . . .
Old 05-05-2013

Quote:
15 Chamale Cv E, Slidell, LA 70460 - Zillow

Wonder how much a house in San Francisco with your own dock would cost?
If you have to ask, you can't afford it . . .
Old 05-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesplace View Post
We had an unexpected death in the family so we moved to BR to assist with family needs. . . .
Got it. I assumed because you lived in SF and you owned a sailboat you were rich. I am surprised at how affordable Monterey Marina is, is Monterey still in California? I was offered a job in Santa Rosa and was amazed how expensive it was considering how far from the water it was.

So do you live in BR and commute to the boat in Slidell? When I lived in New Orleans I lived no more than 10 minutes from my boat. Does the boat have Air conditioning?
Old 05-05-2013

Quote:
Got it. I assumed because you lived in SF and you owned a sailboat you were rich. I am surprised at how affordable Monterey Marina is, is Monterey still in California? I was offered a job in Santa Rosa and was amazed how expensive it was considering how far from the water it was.

So do you live in BR and commute to the boat in Slidell? When I lived in New Orleans I lived no more than 10 minutes from my boat. Does the boat have Air conditioning?
Our marina in Monterey Bay was Moss Landing marina, a great place but get use to wind and waves. Yep, we will commute the 45 minutes to Slidell and nobody in Northern California has AC in their boat. Just wasn't needed with 70 degree days and 45 degree nights . . .

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.