Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2013

CaribDream is on a distinguished road
First centerboard vs. rock experience

3rd time out with my brand new boat (American 14.6)... On a reach moving along nicely and... BANG. Guys at a local club said they think a danger buoy drifted/moved. Anyway, I'm pretty sick about it Looks like it's just the gel coat at the tip of the board, but none the less a big disappointment. The affected area is about 3/4 of an inch square. Less than 1/2 inch of gel coat is missing, and the rest of the effected area is cracked.

What's the best way to fix this? Is it something I need to deal with immediately before taking the boat out again or can it wait a while?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2013

Michael K is on a distinguished road
Re: First centerboard vs. rock experience

Welcome to the joys of boating .. uh .. er .. um .. maintenance. An easy fix, fortunately. Years from now you'll look back on this repair and wish they all were so easy. And yes, you likely want to tend to this repair soon as the board's core may swell up and get stuck in its trunk if left unrepaired.

You want to grind back the damaged area to the undamaged surface, opening up the cracks a bit. Wipe down the area vigorously with acetone; by the time you've mixed up some epoxy without filler the acetone will have evaporated. This is a small area, so apply the wet epoxy with a toothbrush or one inch paint brush. Then add a thickener/filler to the remaining epoxy you've mixed and apply to the wet epoxied surface. Ever done a spackle job on drywall? Sort of similar. You want to build up the area a bit beyond what you originally had before. Let it cure at least a dozen hours.

Upon your return, the epoxy should be hard. Sand smooth back to the shape you had before the impact, reinstall the board, and go sailing.

Last edited by Michael K; 05-05-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-05-2013

Joel H. is on a distinguished road
+1......
Old 05-05-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Carib, you should also check the centerboard box to make sure there is no damage there. Hard grounding puts a lot of stress on the box. You do not want a leak there. Usually fixing it is no big deal but it needs to be done sooner rather than later.
A boat without dings is a boat without character!
Old 05-06-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

I can't add much to Michael K.'s post but I have just been doing some fairly major fiberglass deck work on my old, dinged up boat.

For a repair of such a small area you may or may not be adding fiberglass cloth. The silica thickener agent should be enough to repair the ding.
I successfully used some pieces of flashing (flat metal that is used on house roofs etc) to make a mold for a flat surface I was filling with epoxy. Making a mold that conforms to the shape of your repair should save on the amount of sanding needed to be done once the epoxy cures (1 day).
Someone else suggested they used tin foil as a release film with epoxy. I'd probably opt for the heavy duty foil over the regular stuff.
Also, some plastics, like the stuff they use to make gallon containers of milk etc., do not adhere well to epoxy and can be used to make pieces of a mold.
Welcome to the wonderful world of ... boating.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-06-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

making me glad all I ever had to deal with was mud... lots and lots and lots of mud

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 05-06-2013

CaribDream is on a distinguished road
Thanks for this. Is there a type/brand of epoxy to look for? Do I get it at a hardware store? Now the trick will be finding time - my worst enemy. I work 15 hours a day M-F and will be out of town for the next 3 weekends... Didn't take me long to mess up my relaxation for the few short hours of free time I have on weekends.

Old 05-06-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

I remember when I paid a guy to clean my bottom. He came up and said "Theres the problem, your centerboards been snapped in two!"
$1000 dollars later I have a very robust new centerboard.
Old 05-06-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Carib,

It is probably best to use a decent marine epoxy, not just any epoxy. There are a number of epoxies available: MAS, System 3, West System ...

For a small repair like what you are looking at I'd suggest getting a small starter kit like this one: West System Handy Repair Pack
or this slightly larger pack: West System Maxi Repair Pack

Some of the local hardware stores near me have begun to carry the West System products, so you might find these kits nearby.

West System also has a good diy instruction web page:
WEST SYSTEM | Use Guides

Everybody has one:

Old 05-06-2013
Mechsmith

Mechsmith is on a distinguished road

After sailing , fishing, and gunkholing in SW FL and the keys for several years I put a 1" X 1/4" stainless steel "sled runner" on my swing keel. Still looked pretty good after a couple years.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.