Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Performance Cruisers and Racer/Cruisers

Yes great boat. Better only the J122, I mean in what regards J cruiser-racers but yes, in what regards price, being an older boat, it is probably difficult to beat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2013

svShearwater is on a distinguished road

True the J122 is a great boat. There are two things I don't like about it for cruising though, besides the price. One is the open transom. It looks cool, but you give up storage and a place to sit (the best place to sit on the J120). The second is there is no "garage". It has the dreaded 2nd quarterberth that I think is just silly on a 40' performance cruiser.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by svShearwater View Post
True the J122 is a great boat. There are two things I don't like about it for cruising though, besides the price. One is the open transom. It looks cool, but you give up storage and a place to sit (the best place to sit on the J120). The second is there is no "garage". It has the dreaded 2nd quarterberth that I think is just silly on a 40' performance cruiser.
I don't like it but you can have it with an option that closes the boat and adds storage. It is a removable closed back bench. The boat can also have two aft cabins or a aft cabin and a storage space, it seems you guys call it garage?

It is a bit small but you can see here the closed transom (with storage space) and the 2 cabin version:

The J/122 explained - Jellyfish Charters

For me the only problem is price but than the J120 as a new boat was also a expensive boat compared with a First for instance. It is unfair to say that the J122 is expensive...because it is new.

Regards

Paulo

Old 05-08-2013

svShearwater is on a distinguished road

I don't want to pick on the J122 because I like the boat and you are right about the aft seat. It is probably removable like with the J109. Best of both worlds. The garage space is still not my preference. It looks like they added a second head (gasp!) and the storage is accessed only from the cockpit. You can walk into the J120 storage bent over from the galley area and access everything plus the shaft, transmission, water heater, and battery charger without climbing over anything. It's a great feature of the design and I would think many people would prefer that over a 2nd quarterberth or 2nd head.

Old 05-09-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

I have done some racing on J120s, and they certainly are sweet sailing boats! They don't quite pass muster with the wife because she is set on having a large aft berth, and they are a bit over priced.

Speaking of over priced, I just looked on Yachtworld, and there is a 2008 J122 listed for $349,000! That is ridiculous! If I was spending that kind of money I wouldn't be looking at a used J Boat!
Hull#101
Old 05-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by svShearwater View Post
I don't want to pick on the J122 because I like the boat and you are right about the aft seat. It is probably removable like with the J109. Best of both worlds. The garage space is still not my preference. It looks like they added a second head (gasp!) and the storage is accessed only from the cockpit. You can walk into the J120 storage bent over from the galley area and access everything plus the shaft, transmission, water heater, and battery charger without climbing over anything. It's a great feature of the design and I would think many people would prefer that over a 2nd quarterberth or 2nd head.
You can have access to storage also by the by the head and you can skip the second head on the front cabin. That will allow a lot more storage there.

I know so much because I was very interested by that boat that I visited it as soon as it come to the market. Had a long talk with the guys about everything including price, extra tankage, options and stability. I was overall very impressed and the boat entered on my short list I was considering having. The only real problem was price.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 05-09-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
I have done some racing on J120s, and they certainly are sweet sailing boats! They don't quite pass muster with the wife because she is set on having a large aft berth, and they are a bit over priced.

Speaking of over priced, I just looked on Yachtworld, and there is a 2008 J122 listed for $349,000! That is ridiculous! If I was spending that kind of money I wouldn't be looking at a used J Boat!
Things are what they are and J boats are top boats, have a very good interior (at least the J 122 that is made in France, I don't know the quality of the American made boats) and its price is similar to boats like X-yachts, Luffe, Grand Soleil or Comet, IT yachts. The price is not ridiculous, it is what cost to make a boat with that quality the way it is done, building techniques and materials.

For having a less expensive boat you have to compromise more and make it in bigger numbers, like the First, Elan, Dufour, Salona and now Dehler. Anyway a top version of any of those boats will cost almost the price of the J 122. The difference is that the J122 is already a top boat in standard version.

Regards

Paulo

Old 05-09-2013

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough

A member of my club has a J36.. He cruised it to Alaska, and now has it down in Mexico. He was really happy with the boat, and liked to singlehand with just the main.

I looked for his blog, but can't find it..

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 05-09-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

David,

If you are thinking of Paul, he had a J37c, which was sold about a year or so ago in the SE US. Spouse wanted a bigger kitchen per say, so he went with some kind of slow slug of a boat. Almost total opposite of the J37c. It is a bit longer. Sheryl might have the blog somewhere. My LT died, so I am using another computer, other wise I had that blog saved on that on.

Marty
Old 05-09-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Things are what they are and J boats are top boats, have a very good interior (at least the J 122 that is made in France, I don't know the quality of the American made boats) and its price is similar to boats like X-yachts, Luffe, Grand Soleil or Comet, IT yachts. The price is not ridiculous, it is what cost to make a boat with that quality the way it is done, building techniques and materials.

For having a less expensive boat you have to compromise more and make it in bigger numbers, like the First, Elan, Dufour, Salona and now Dehler. Anyway a top version of any of those boats will cost almost the price of the J 122. The difference is that the J122 is already a top boat in standard version.

Regards

Paulo
Well if I had that kind of money to spend I would buy one of the "compromise" boats and then buy a Farr 30 to race with the boys!
blt2ski likes this.
Hull#101