Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2013

svShearwater is on a distinguished road
Re: Performance Cruisers and Racer/Cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
David,

If you are thinking of Paul, he had a J37c, which was sold about a year or so ago in the SE US. Spouse wanted a bigger kitchen per say, so he went with some kind of slow slug of a boat. Almost total opposite of the J37c. It is a bit longer. Sheryl might have the blog somewhere. My LT died, so I am using another computer, other wise I had that blog saved on that on.

Marty
Marty, pretty sure Paul bought an Outbound 44 or 46. Hardly a slow slug of a boat. That's about as performance oriented of an offshore cruiser as you can get in that size range.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-2013

It's curious all the focus on the J/122 when you can get a J/120 for half the price and give up??? A little bit of speed and newness, I think.

The J/120 used to seem like an expensive boat compared to others in that range, but if you look on yachtworld now, most of the 10 for sale are under $150k. That compares quite well to the B40.7 and B36.7. You would really be splitting hairs to call that a premium price for a J boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-11-2013

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by svShearwater View Post
Marty, pretty sure Paul bought an Outbound 44 or 46. Hardly a slow slug of a boat. That's about as performance oriented of an offshore cruiser as you can get in that size range.
Paul's Blog:
SV J Georgia

It's an Outbound 44
outbound likes this.

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 05-11-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by svShearwater View Post
It's curious all the focus on the J/122 when you can get a J/120 for half the price and give up??? A little bit of speed and newness, I think.

The J/120 used to seem like an expensive boat compared to others in that range, but if you look on yachtworld now, most of the 10 for sale are under $150k. That compares quite well to the B40.7 and B36.7. You would really be splitting hairs to call that a premium price for a J boat.
The focus on the J122 was only because someone said it was ridiculously expensive. The reason the J 120 is a lot less expensive now is precisely because the J 122 is a better top racing boat and at top racing has substituted by the J120.

I agree with you that difference in speed may not be important for someone that only uses the boat to cruise but for someone that uses it for cruising and racing it is and the J122 is a dual purpose boat.

There is a difference in PHRF of 30 points. That is the difference that separates a Catalina 400 from a First 36.7, a considerable one.

As with the J120 it will come the day that a new and faster J will come to the market to substitute the J122 and then it will happen with the J122 what happened wth the J 120: "The J/120 used to seem like an expensive boat compared to others in that range, but if you look on yachtworld now, most of the 10 for sale are under $150 000."

It will not take more than 3 or 4 years. Then it will be the time for a cruiser to buy a J122 unless money is not an obstacle and he can buy a new one now. As I have said it is not more expensive than similar quality new boats.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 05-11-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-11-2013

Greyhound37 is on a distinguished road

I don't think this boat has been discussed yet. I wanted to stay around 38 feet, large enough to do some offshore but small enough for minimum crew. Rates high 60's to mid 70's depending on boat specifics.
Since that slide show was taken the boat has been modified and dialed in more to the racing side. Delete the furling add twin foil
hydraulic back stay
delete shoal keel, add deep keel
lots of electronics
excellent glasswork and buil like a tank
heavy cruising gear has quick release like the windlass, dinette...
Old 05-11-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

I guess if you want to sell it maybe there is someone interested, it is a great boat....but as it is the only one in the States it is a bit difficult to find it on the used market

By the way what is the PHRF you have on that boat?

These guys had done well on the world ORCI championship with one.

Last edited by PCP; 05-11-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-11-2013

This boat came in with a 5'9" shoal keel so she was great off the wind but upwind forget it. At that point she was 75. Now she has a factory/Jason Ker LCG race keel that takes her to 7'8". Similar to doing laps at Watkins Glen on street tires then dialing in the suspension and switching to soft gummy slicks. Mmmmmm
PHRF has not assigned a new rating for this keel.
Old 05-11-2013

As mentioned above the J-120 is a great performer but the interior is very basic and small for her length I thought.
Old 05-11-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Well, Good to know paul bought something quick or at least on par with the J37. Somehow I thought it was a slower style but bigger boat.

Marty
Old 05-11-2013

I looked at the Salona 38 at the Dusseldorf Boat Show earlier this year and it was easily the stand out boat for the show for me. Nice exterior lines, well thought out interior, really one of the best interiors for a boat of that size regardless of performance orientation, and the price if I remember right, was quite attractive for a new boat. Winner in my book.

As for interiors, I would expect the interior of a performance cruiser to feel smaller than a comparable length slug boat. That's part of the trade-off. You can't have it both ways. It was an easy call for us though. We were looking for the interior of a 35-footer, we just wanted to go as fast as possible with that much space. There were a jillion other boats we could have gone for with more interior space in that size range, but none of them sailed as well.