Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road
Performance Cruisers and Racer/Cruisers

There is definitely a solid market out there for more performance oriented cruising boats. For some it is the superior sailing qualities of a performance boat, and the ability to get to that weekend anchorage faster than the next guy. For others it is the ability to go out and race with the boys one weekend, and then take the family out cruising the next. It may just be the ability to sail reasonably fast even when the wind strength or direction is less than ideal. Many of us would never be satisfied with a big fat full-keeled slug that needs 20kts to get going, regardless of how comfy it might be, or how much junk you can stow on board.

Having said that, my wife and I both agree that it would be nice to have many of the cruising amenities that we don't have on our current boat. The trick is to find the right balance between creature comforts and sailing performance. When we upgrade our boat next we would like to find that balance in a 35-40ft boat.

So what is the ultimate production performance cruiser or cruiser/racer out there?
Hull#101
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2013

Cartgate is on a distinguished road
Re: Performance Cruisers and Racer/Cruisers

Beneteau First Series
Old 05-06-2013

We have a couple of friends with B36.7s, and they are nice boats, although the wife isn't too fond of the layout, and the head location. I raced on a 40.7 and I was really impressed with the cleverly designed removable cockpit lockers that opened the cockpit up for racing, yet provided extra seating and storage for cruising.
Hull#101
Old 05-06-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

We've done a lot of miles in the Caribbean on a 36.7 - it's a treat to sail and very responsive. It does lack some storage, the head access is a bit odd.. you have to fight your way around the table, and the galley is on the small side, but as far as a sailing machine I'd have one in a minute. The removeable cockpit locker/seats are an option there too. Also the one we were on is a rare tiller version, which makes the two aft cabins equal in size. We were able to easily accommodate 6 adults on board for a couple of weeks. (granted all were accustomed to living aboard in tight quarters)

The 40.7 would be a notch up, I'd expect and should be a good one too. I'm not sure that there's anything readily available in the NA market that would beat any of the 'Firsts' on that comparison scale (performance AND comfort cruising) except perhaps the J 109 and her larger sisters.. but cost is a big factor there.

If you're following PCPs thread you'll know there are plenty of Euro models that would suit.. shame they are not more widely marketed here though they'd likely be very expensive if they were.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-06-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

SHock,

My wife is teh same as yours. DOes not really like the layout of the 36.7, but does like the ones on the jeanneau's. If you can afford right now that sf35 for sale near you, go buy it! That would be my first choice of a 35' boat that I know I could fine, with the sf37 behind it. I can think of a few others I would prefer over the sf37, unless I could fine one cheap, and do some rerigging of it, ie a mast 3-5' taller to get it some more power, posibly even redesign the keel a bit too. I think the big key why the sf37 is probably the better cruiser per say, is it does have a deeper hull than the 35. Hence why also the 35 is a shade quicker than the 37, along with a whopping inch or two more WL. So the 37 will have a bit more carry capacity than the 35.

Marty
Old 05-06-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Take a look at the mid-80's era First 38, 42 or 456. You'll be impressed. I did an article on ours at Southwinds that you might find of interest. (There are some minor errors with dimensions due to editing errors but the overall summary is reasonably accurate.) My 4'11" 102# wife, who is definitely not a racer, loves the boat and has proven quite adept at handling it during her turns on watch, day or night.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 05-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
SHock,

My wife is teh same as yours. DOes not really like the layout of the 36.7, but does like the ones on the jeanneau's. If you can afford right now that sf35 for sale near you, go buy it! That would be my first choice of a 35' boat that I know I could fine, with the sf37 behind it. I can think of a few others I would prefer over the sf37, unless I could fine one cheap, and do some rerigging of it, ie a mast 3-5' taller to get it some more power, posibly even redesign the keel a bit too. I think the big key why the sf37 is probably the better cruiser per say, is it does have a deeper hull than the 35. Hence why also the 35 is a shade quicker than the 37, along with a whopping inch or two more WL. So the 37 will have a bit more carry capacity than the 35.

Marty
Yeah we both really like the Jeanneaus. I particularly like the "garage" storage that the 37 has on the port side, accessed through the shower stall. It is a huge space that would be ideal for extra sails, kayak and snorkel gear, etc. (do you know if the 35 has that?)
Unfortunately we are not in a position to snap up that SF35 right now. The wife says we can't get a new boat until we sell our 2nd house. (can you believe how unreasonable wives can be? )
Although we have zeroed in on the Jeanneaus, I wouldn't want to overlook some other good options. It is always good to be informed on what is out there. You never know when one of those rare gems might show up on the market, and it would be unfortunate to miss out on it when it did.
The Dufours look like nice boats. You don't see too many of them around here. The wife does not like the linear galleys that Dufour and Bavaria seem to be so fond of.
Hull#101
Old 05-06-2013

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough

My CS36 Merlin is very comfortable to cruise, fast, and a joy to sail. Fun to race too.
There are some up there for you to look at, and/or if you'd like to come sailing on mine, I'd be happy to help.

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown

Last edited by djodenda; 05-06-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-06-2013

mm2187 is on a distinguished road

How about a J/109?
Old 05-06-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

The J boats make a lot of sense for what kind of sailing your doing if you have no draft restriction. Seem to hold up with generally good resale as well.