Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Increase in the number of Moderators

if nominated i will not run. If elected i will not serve.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2013
Taco Whisperer

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
if nominated i will not run. If elected i will not serve.
If placed in a nest, will not lay egg...
Old 05-06-2013

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
.....If elected i will not serve.
Didn't know you were already a Congressman.
CalebD likes this.
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Old 05-07-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Not that I will say how many, or do we need more mods........ the answer at times could be yes.....

As a note, I do mod on another forum with some 200K reg members, not that ALL 200K post, some probably have never posted, as has probably occured here, some have just plain dissappered.......but on that forum, one mod has a given sectin to deal with, so as an example, wingonwing would have this area, ie general. There are a couple three or 4 of the 15-20 mods that have a the ability to cover what the admin who is paid can do. I only have powers in my area. I also do not have the ability to delete a member, there are only the 3-4 plus the main admin that can do that. If the 3-4 volunteers get ahold of a spammer, they can delete that person. If it were smacky as an example, great guy to pickon in this instance, They can not delete him for any reason with out admins ok.

Could we use a few more mods. possibly....but I will not say any farther than I do. our current mods do a pretty good job, for having a pretty thankless job!

Another forum I mod on, I do have overall moding in any of the threads, but with 3-4K members.......usually only have to worry about a spammer here and there, I delete, send info to the owner of the site. There are 3-5 around the globe that mod, as the main persn is in the UK, another in Germany or sometimes the virgin island or equal....another that does the OZ section is from oz..... that is another story and issue......vegimite comes to mind from a horrible standpoint.........

Oh yes, Brian is NOT the best looking mod either! Porbably worst!lololol

marty
Old 05-07-2013
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

I feel the Mods we have are doing Okay. I have with a couple of posts, been chipped and occasionally squashed, at the time I was annoyed but when rethinking my heart felt posts, I realizes I had overstepped the mark. Grass is green.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 05-07-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

The way this discussion has been framed is a bit out of focus. In the end, the only question is whether the owner of the site wants to increase the number of moderators.

As the inmates, we could provide feedback on whether we would be more or less likely to contribute or whether we believe more or less members would be attracted, if there was greater moderation.

Otherwise, it's just not our call. We get what we pay for here. On another site that I pay for with dues to an association, I feel I have more say. I have no issues with the current level of moderation, nor have any concern over edited or deleted posts. I don't care. I'm fine, if others do care. They can go back and delete a couple thousand of mine and probably should.

I can't think of a single part of my life that is affected by what is or is not moderated here. It's just a conversation.
chef2sail likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-07-2013

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

Moderation in all things - including the number of Moderators.

I am very happy with the current level of board moderation.

Unless the mods themselves feel that they cannot maintain their present level of coverage, I would suggest that adding a new mod is not necessary.

Just my $0.02

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 05-07-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road

There are Moderators here?
Old 05-07-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

More moderators doesn't solve the problem that this is the internet and people will show up here and make personal attacks. Those people should be banned, but I don't find it necessary to prune such posts or constantly police every thread. That type of behavior is par for the course and you should be able to handle it without getting bent out of shape. It's also uncommon enough here that I wouldn't consider it a significant problem.

Also, it's worth pointing out the "Report Post" button. If you see a post that needs pruned or a user needs banned, report them, it makes the life of a moderator on a busy forum easier.

Being a self policing community goes a long way

Last edited by Shinook; 05-07-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-07-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Having served a sentence as mod at Anything-Sailing for a 2+ year stint I can tell you it's not fun. I started by trying to read every post on every thread, that lasted a couple months until 'business' picked up.
If any of you seriously expect a volunteer moderator to do that I'd like some of what you are smoking. If an offensive posts gets missed hit the report button and give a mod a hand.
I quit posting to anything but sailing threads for a reason - that other stuff consumes too much of my time and contributes too much to levels of animosity I just don't need. I'm able to discern pretty quickly in 'real' life who I can safely discuss various topics with and not have it degenerate into a name calling slap down contest.
Here, I want opinions and facts on matters pertaining to sailing. I can't afford to have a single possibly well informed and well communicated fact not be submitted because I called the potential poster a wanker in a off topic thread.

- EVERYONE: seriously, if you think we need more moderators then the moderation should start prior to clicking "Post", quit expecting someone else to tidy up behind us.
It's summer in most of the user's world (not counting you Aussies). Use it for sailing.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.