SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Increase in the number of Moderators (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/99222-increase-number-moderators.html)

chef2sail 05-06-2013 02:51 PM

Increase in the number of Moderators

I am starting this in the General Discussion area as I believe its relevant to our whole Sailnet Experience and will receive comments by most SN participants vs. the OTH area in which many don't even look in. If the MODS determine that it needs to be moved so be it

As a long time member of SN I have huge respect and admiration for the MODS and their volunteering to " police" and "preserve" the integrity of our site. They are diligent, work together, and have seemed IMHO to be evenhanded. In addition their is enough balance among them to ensure a good decision.

Recently there was a thread which created a fair amount of controversy where there was an obvious personal attack and violation in terms of our rules and TOS. It stood visible for a fair amount of time. A couple of hours at least if not more.

As it was handled and eventually disappeared from view some of the MODS comments were that they had real jobs ( like I do ) and did get to it right away. That plus the difference in time zones our MODS live in have lead me to conclusion that having a few more MODS may help decrease the burden and share the load we have put on them.

None of this is meant to imply on any level that I think they don't do a good job or am criticizing their decisions. In fact nothing can be further from the truth. They do a great job. I just think having a few more may help increase coverage and prevent a long gap in time passing when something of importance needs to be addressed quickly.

In this spirit....drumroll.... I nominate Wingnwing. She may not be available or certainly will longer be my friend as I haven't consulted her before posting this, but what the hell she'd make a great MOD. She also represents a segment of our community mainly the live aboard one, which needs to be represented.

blowinstink 05-06-2013 02:57 PM

Re: Increase in the number of Moderators

When one of the overworked Mods makes it here and skims this - COULD YA PLEASE MOVE IT TO OT! :)

TY! :)

(you coulda started it there too Chef :))

chef2sail 05-06-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blowinstink (Post 1026359)
When one of the overworked Mods makes it here and skims this - COULD YA PLEASE MOVE IT TO OT! :)

TY! :)

(you coulda started it there too Chef :))

With all due respect....how come you have decided to pick on my posting. I noticed you didn't ask to have the " Donations to Smackdaddy" moved to the OTH category. I think I detect a personal bias.:)

I thought it was relevant to sailing and the site, so I started it here. If others object I understand it being moved. I think I stated that. I think this is small minded.

That's not the issue of the thread though

Keep up the good job of monitoring threads and where they belong and hope you will apply your criteria to all who post now:):)

bljones 05-06-2013 04:25 PM

I'm entirely unsure that this will end well.

But, it's gonna be SPECTACULAR!

PCP 05-06-2013 05:04 PM

This forum, as many have noticed, is a very agreeable place. That has to do with a good work that is provided by the moderators. It is not only a not paid job but one where it is needed an unusual those of patient. Cheers to all of them and to the great job they have done!!!

Cheaf, it is ok to express our own opinion but proposing someone for moderator, not kidding but in a serious way it is very awkward to that person and the moderators themselves. It is them that should judge the ones that they seem more fit for the job and the ones that they want to work with.

Saying that I purpose Smackdady:D We need more fun around here:D

SolSailor 05-06-2013 05:08 PM

Would seem to be a perfect thread for the "Announcements and Suggestions Box".

CalebD 05-06-2013 05:26 PM

And I nominate BL Honez (that is spanish for Jones).
He has never offended anyone on this forum nor has he ever caused anyone to get banned. His sense of humour is appreciated by all members and he represents a niche of us sailors who are cheapskates, diy rum drinkers sailing old boats.

Seriously though, I thoroughly endorse the current level of moderating.

killarney_sailor 05-06-2013 05:50 PM

I think the Moda earn every penny (nickel in Canada and Oz) they earn. Seriously, I think they do a first rate job.

PalmettoSailor 05-06-2013 06:26 PM

First I'll say the mods do a great job, and are a wealth of sailing and sailboat experience. Kudo's for all you do.

However, I don't think we need more mods and the ones we have should not be expected to referee grudge matches between personalities. For the most part, they have not had to do much of that over the years I've been frequenting this site. It just seems that every few years a few folks can't help but get hyper-sensitive to anyone that disagrees with their point of view, or poo-poo's their sailing resume, or some other offense that gets them wrapped around the axle to the point that everything is "personal". This is the internet folks. Nothing is personal. Life is way too short to get emotionally involved in an internet forum. Contribute, lurk or don't participate if your sensibilities are offended, but attempting to bend the internet to your will is a loosing proposition.

As it might be summarized on another un-named sailing site, HTFU.

chef2sail 05-06-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalebD (Post 1026432)
And I nominate BL Honez (that is spanish for Jones).
He has never offended anyone on this forum nor has he ever caused anyone to get banned. His sense of humour is appreciated by all members and he represents a niche of us sailors who are cheapskates, diy rum drinkers sailing old boats.

Seriously though, I thoroughly endorse the current level of moderating.

Ha...BJ has tweaked me a few times...but I would agree.