SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   How to mount a lateen to yard and boom (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/99245-how-mount-lateen-yard-boom.html)

MattMcc804 05-07-2013 04:02 AM

How to mount a lateen to yard and boom

Im a little confused here, I made the 70 sq ft polysail they show dimensions for on the polysail website, The tell you to round the luff and foot, I did all that and hollowed the leach too. How do I tie it to the yard and boom? Shound the roundest/furthest out point of the sail be touching the boom? Same question about the luff and yard.

MattMcc804 05-07-2013 01:07 PM

Re: How to mount a lateen to yard and boom

70 veiws and not one reply. BUMP. Ready to get to work on it

Frogwatch 05-07-2013 01:16 PM

I didn't see your post. You can make a sleeve over the spars in the sail material but I prefer to cut it the right size PLUS about 2", enough to fold over to have a double layer in which you can put grommets. Wal Mart and any hardware store sells a grommet tool. Put your grommets every foot or so. Use zip ties to attach thru these grommets to the spars. My sails do NOT extend beyond the ends of the spars.

My latest sail is made this way but I also sewed a 3/16" line in the fold to strengthen it. The sail is usable without sewing because the grommets hold it but sewing makes it look better and it is easy to sew on a machine (my wife never uses her sewing machine and I use it all the time).

I think the lower spar is joined to the mast via a thru bolt but I put a piece of wood inside the spar where the bolt goes to strengthen it.

This allows the entire assembly of mast and spars, halyard, mainsheet and sail to be rolled up in an easy to transport package.

MattMcc804 05-07-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frogwatch (Post 1026775)
I didn't see your post. You can make a sleeve over the spars in the sail material but I prefer to cut it the right size PLUS about 2", enough to fold over to have a double layer in which you can put grommets. Wal Mart and any hardware store sells a grommet tool. Put your grommets every foot or so. Use zip ties to attach thru these grommets to the spars. My sails do NOT extend beyond the ends of the spars.

My latest sail is made this way but I also sewed a 3/16" line in the fold to strengthen it. The sail is usable without sewing because the grommets hold it but sewing makes it look better and it is easy to sew on a machine (my wife never uses her sewing machine and I use it all the time).

I think the lower spar is joined to the mast via a thru bolt but I put a piece of wood inside the spar where the bolt goes to strengthen it.

This allows the entire assembly of mast and spars, halyard, mainsheet and sail to be rolled up in an easy to transport package.

Yes, I have gromments on it but what the point of the curves if its just gonna be tied tight to the yard

Frogwatch 05-07-2013 01:49 PM

I cut mine flat with no curves. I tried one with the curves and it performed lousy. I re-cut it flat.

jephotog 05-07-2013 02:26 PM

You might have better luck looking for proper forums for your questions. As I mentioned in your other post there is a kayaking forum where all they think and dream about all day are kayaks and kayaking. Likewise there are boat building forums, where the majority of the people spend their time talking and dreaming about hand made boats, wooden spars and home made sails.

Here most people spend the day dreaming and talking about boats usually in the larger cruising sizes. You might get someone here to give you a partial answer but will probably end up having to reinvent the wheel. If you find the right forum, you will find people with experience in making a broomstick and a plastic tarp power a watercraft. There a lot of them out there start with this one.
Boat Design Forums
or
byyb.org

jephotog 05-07-2013 02:30 PM

A few more resources

Kayak Building Forum - Message Index

messing-about.com Amateur Boat Building

Alex W 05-07-2013 02:44 PM

70sqft is huge for a kayak. You'll spend a lot of time upside down since you can't hike out. My fat and short sailing tender has a 35sqft sail and moves along nicely with that. It has a lot more form stability than my kayaks and still relies on me shifting body weight gor stability in over 10mph of wind.

I love kayaks and I love sailboats. A kayak doesn't make a good sailboat, and thus can only get away with small downwind sails. Rather than trying to make your kayak into a sailboat I would recommend looking for a small and cheap sailing dinghy.

MattMcc804 05-07-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex W (Post 1026834)
70sqft is huge for a kayak. You'll spend a lot of time upside down since you can't hike out. My fat and short sailing tender has a 35sqft sail and moves along nicely with that. It has a lot more form stability than my kayaks and still relies on me shifting body weight gor stability in over 10mph of wind.

I love kayaks and I love sailboats. A kayak doesn't make a good sailboat, and thus can only get away with small downwind sails. Rather than trying to make your kayak into a sailboat I would recommend looking for a small and cheap sailing dinghy.

Outriggers, and I dont care if that dinghy is free its not the point of what im doing, I want a sailing trimaran kayak that i can one day use in the everglades challenge, thats what got me into sailing. And its not really 70sq ft I scaled it down to 15sq ft, but said 70 to avoid anyone talking about problems with scaling it down. Eventually Im going to make 50 sq ft

jephotog 05-07-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex W (Post 1026834)
70sqft is huge for a kayak.

That's just for the mizzen mast of what's going to be a cutter rigged schooner kayak.:D