Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Re: Oops!!!

True, it's probably safer out of the water too, less rocks to hit. (If you read this Jens, )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

I've always wondered why travel lifts don't have more such mishaps. Even if everyone is trying to be careful and attentive, it only takes a momentary distraction ......
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 05-07-2013

Jd1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
True, it's probably safer out of the water too, less rocks to hit. (If you read this Jens, )
Yup, it's a lot safer where it is
The story as of this morning is that they are not sure what happened but one wheel of the lift mounted the guard at the edge and drove over it into the drink (a large drop!). Apparently they have had occasional issues with steering. Basically at this time they do not know if it was operator failure or mechanical failure. They had a large power boat (50 ft?) in the slings and were attempting to splash it. Apparently it was already in the water (so it didn't fall) and they were trying to give it a push out. It is now at a nearby marina after having received substantial damage.
It is unknown at this time if the lift can be salvaged - lots of broken bits and twisting. The boat yard is up the creek without a lift (or paddle) and may have to bring in a mobile crane to launch boats that are currently in the yard. It is too early for any decisions. My boat wasn't supposed to be splashed until sometime next week. I am not sure if I will be trapped beyond the time needed for the repairs
Old 05-07-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
I've always wondered why travel lifts don't have more such mishaps. Even if everyone is trying to be careful and attentive, it only takes a momentary distraction ......
There is a pre-stressed piling manufacturer where I live that has several of them and use them to move hundreds of huge concrete pilings a day. They have had several fatal accidents, mainly from trying to do things too fast.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 05-07-2013

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road

We just got back from Canoe Cove and the hoist looks pretty bent up. Even if they are able to use it again it will need a serious going over and some obvious heavy repairs. The main cross beam is twisted and bent.
You can see the tire marks on the guard rail where it went over the edge.
Too bad for the marina, I really like the guys down at Canoe Cove. Really easy to deal with.
No slobbering on the charts.
Old 05-07-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I worked in a yard for a short time and have spent a LOT of time in them. The only really safe way to handle a straddle carrier is with 3 people - one driving and two spotting.

I've seen people running them alone and it's just ASKING for trouble. If they didn't have side guides at least as high as the sidewall of the tires they were just waiting for this one - especially if they have a cowboy driver.

Those things are dangerous heavy equipment - nothing to get casual with. It's very lucky no-one was killed.
Faster likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 05-07-2013
Senior Slacker

One of the yards at Marina Del Rey has a travel lift with a remote control. It allows the operator to get a much better look at things as the TL moves around, AND it should keep the operator much safer.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 05-07-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

when I was much younger, the local yard had a lift, the son of the owner used to run it. To this day I do not know how he managed -not- to splash the lift

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 05-07-2013

Jd1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
One of the yards at Marina Del Rey has a travel lift with a remote control. It allows the operator to get a much better look at things as the TL moves around, AND it should keep the operator much safer.
Canoe Cove and Westbay Marine both use travel lifts with remote control. The operator can go wherever he wants to get the best viewing position.
Old 05-08-2013
Senior Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
Canoe Cove and Westbay Marine both use travel lifts with remote control. The operator can go wherever he wants to get the best viewing position.
Was the TL in the pic remotely controlled?