Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2013

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road
Re: Oops!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Was the TL in the pic remotely controlled?
Yes it is. er was
No slobbering on the charts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Ship View Post
Yes it is. er was
Well, nothing is fool-proof.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 05-08-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Everytime you make something fool-proof, a new breed of fools comes along and pushes the envelope

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-08-2013

Clearlyme is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to shed some light on what ACTUALLY happened and clarify ALL of your wrong assumptions.

All proper steps and procedures had been followed by the operator at the time of the accident. Nobody was rushing, cutting corners or doing anything dangerous or out of the ordinary. Safety has and always is number 1. There was mechanical failure beyond the operators control causing the machine to veer off its proper path during a routine launch. Nobody was hurt. The 50 + ft powerboat being launched was already floating at the time of the accident. It was easily moved free of the lifting area and taken to a neighbouring marina to be lifted for assessment, where only minor cosmetic damage was found. The lift spent the night in that position and was lifted by two large cranes today. There is no twist in its frame. It is designed with an articulating coupling/bushing to minimize damage in case of such an event. It will be thoroughly examined by a rep from its producer and several other companies that do routine evaluations and inspections. I feel the comment about the operator being a hot dog is unfair and unjustified. Probably stated by someone that has no experience or clue about machinery operation. But everybody has an opinion right? Furthermore, accidents happen. Thousands of accident free lifts occur annually at Canoe Cove. I'm sure that the pleasant experiences far outweigh the bad ones. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Hope it answers all your questions.
Capt Len likes this.
Old 05-08-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearlyme View Post
....There was mechanical failure beyond the operators control causing the machine to veer off its proper path.....
What failure occurred and why was the operator not able to stop the lift before it got too far off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-08-2013

Quote:
I feel the comment about the operator being a hot dog is unfair and unjustified. Probably stated by someone that has no experience or clue about machinery operation. .
This comment was made based on my knowledge as an operating engineer with over 60,000 hours/33 years of heavy equipment operation experience.
I have also witnessed this crane being operated by one person most if not all the time.
And yah, if the crane malfuctioned, why didn't the operator stop, Oh right he was busy and going too fast.
Most, if not all equipment accidents are caused by the operator not paying attention. That is a simple fact. Very, very few accidents are caused by the equipment failing, it does happen but it is extremely unusual.
After the crane was recovered it was sitting on fairly level ground and appeared to be bent. Even Brent from Blackline agreed that it looked bent. If you have since taken all of the required measurement to determine that it is not bent then sorry for "that" miss information.
Oh by the way. It is designed with that coupler so it can travel over uneven ground without lifting a wheel.

Last edited by Dog Ship; 05-08-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 05-08-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Just wanted to shed some light on what ACTUALLY happened and clarify ALL of your wrong assumptions.

All proper steps and procedures had been followed by the operator at the time of the accident. Nobody was rushing, cutting corners or doing anything dangerous or out of the ordinary. Safety has and always is number 1. There was mechanical failure beyond the operators control causing the machine to veer off its proper path during a routine launch. Nobody was hurt. The 50 + ft powerboat being launched was already floating at the time of the accident. It was easily moved free of the lifting area and taken to a neighbouring marina to be lifted for assessment, where only minor cosmetic damage was found. The lift spent the night in that position and was lifted by two large cranes today. There is no twist in its frame. It is designed with an articulating coupling/bushing to minimize damage in case of such an event. It will be thoroughly examined by a rep from its producer and several other companies that do routine evaluations and inspections. I feel the comment about the operator being a hot dog is unfair and unjustified. Probably stated by someone that has no experience or clue about machinery operation. But everybody has an opinion right? Furthermore, accidents happen. Thousands of accident free lifts occur annually at Canoe Cove. I'm sure that the pleasant experiences far outweigh the bad ones. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Hope it answers all your questions.
Good to know. I assume from your wording that you are connected with Canoe Cove in some way?

Glad to hear the lift is not as badly damaged as it appears in the pic. This would be the worst possible time of year for the yard to have the hoist down for an extended period.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 05-10-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

I have never seen the Canoe Cove travel lift operated in anything but a safe cautious manner. Last year they hauled a boat I worked on after it was on the hard - a Grand Banks 58. Canoe cove said it was their heaviest lift up to that time. Their tarvel lift has a 50 metric ton load limit. The Grand Banks was almost at max load and if the tanks had been full it would have been too heavy. It is always used with a remote as far as I know. I heard that the remote malfunctioned and one wheel did a 90 degree turn and over the track onto the wood walkway beside the track, which it fell through.
Old 05-10-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
....I heard that the remote malfunctioned and one wheel did a 90 degree turn and over the track onto the wood walkway beside the track, which it fell through.
Having witnessed a few thousand lifts over a lifetime, I'm having a hard time visualizing this. First, how does only one wheel allow for this? If the other side of the lift didn't turn, they would have been fighting each other. Also, I usually see lifts move so slowly that a Stop button should have done the trick before it got off the track.

I'm not condemning the marina, I've never heard of them. But, the story just sounds off, if the operator wasn't able to notice a wheel turn 90 degs in time to stop everything.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
I have never seen the Canoe Cove travel lift operated in anything but a safe cautious manner.
For the most part yah, it is operated in a safe manner. But I saw what I saw. Both my wife and I have watched, what I assume is the same operator, pendulum swing power boats out the end of the finger piers many times.
The operator will lower the boat into the water until it floats, then he will lift it slightly and run the lift along the finger piers with the boat suspended in the slings. He then abrutly stops the lift allowing the boat to swing forward at the same time he will drop the slings so the boats gear will clear the slings and the boat floats out the end of the finger piers.
Now if anything went wrong while doing this, ie; the operator's timing was off or the machine didn't respond as predicted, the boats gear could hook a sling and pull the crane over. 30-40 tons of boat doing 1-2 knots is a lot of energy.
I'm not saying that this is what happened but that's unsafe.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.