Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2013
Maine Dub

34crealock is on a distinguished road
Re: Oops!!!

I remember an accident caused when the travel lift went off the end of the pier and the wheels with the brakes were in the lead so there was no way to stop the carnage.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34crealock View Post
I remember an accident caused when the travel lift went off the end of the pier and the wheels with the brakes were in the lead so there was no way to stop the carnage.
At least a story like that would make more sense, if they were saying they couldn't stop it. The 90 deg wheel turn is hard to understand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-10-2013

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road

I don't buy the 90 degree argument either.
There is a rubber mark on the guard rail about 6-8 feet long and then the wheel went over the edge.
So what, the wheel turned 90 degrees and then was dragged down the side of the rail and then fell in the water.
Doesn't make sense.
What was dragging the crane with it's wheel turned 90 degrees for 6-8 feet?
Was a sling hooked on a boats gear?
It looks like the tires sidewall was rubbing the rail and then it mounted it and fell over the other side.
No slobbering on the charts.
Old 05-10-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about

time for clearlyme to threaten a lawsuit and get this thread pulled!!!
Old 05-11-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

What kind of remote control does it use? Is it wired or wireless? Either way, any time you are remote controlling something like that you are relying on maintaining a connection to the machine, and if you lose that connection, how can you stop it? Presumably they would have some fail-safes to prevent it going out of control, but things still go wrong.
Hull#101
Old 05-11-2013

First off, nobody will be getting sued. At least nobody here on this website.
As far as I know it is still legal to voice ones' opinion and ask questions.
This lift was radio controlled and so are many other pieces of heavy equipment.
I have run self propelled rock crushers, hogs and soil screening plants, all radio controlled and if I ever had a problem with a radio, usually it would either work or not.
If I were to have a radio that was not working properly it would simply not be used because it would be far too dangerous.
All radio controlled heavy equipment I have run have manual override controls and numerous panic stop buttons placed around the machine in various locations and so did this lift. If the machine were to loose contact with the radio the machine would either continue to do what it was last told to do or it would simply shut down, depends on the vintage. It would not start to do wierd stuff all by itself because of a lost radio signal.
If there have been issues with this machine in the past the operator can refuse to run until it has been properly fixed.
If the owner has said to run it anyway well thats a whole different story.
My biggest problem with all of this is the area in which this happened is an area that the boat owners are required to be during launch. This is not an employee only area. If they were running a faulty machine in a public area that's a concern.
Old 05-11-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Ship View Post
...Both my wife and I have watched, what I assume is the same operator, pendulum swing power boats out the end of the finger piers many times.
The operator will lower the boat into the water until it floats, then he will lift it slightly and run the lift along the finger piers with the boat suspended in the slings. He then abrutly stops the lift allowing the boat to swing forward at the same time he will drop the slings so the boats gear will clear the slings and the boat floats out the end of the finger piers.
Now if anything went wrong while doing this, ie; the operator's timing was off or the machine didn't respond as predicted, the boats gear could hook a sling and pull the crane over. 30-40 tons of boat doing 1-2 knots is a lot of energy.
I'm not saying that this is what happened but that's unsafe.
I am puzzled by this pendulum swing maneuver. It sounds like it's asking for trouble. Is this a common procedure at other boat yards around the country/world? I've never seen it before, and don't understand why a boat can't be allowed to leave under its own power, or be towed by a tender if needed? Why slingshot it out of there?

At my boat club they just lower the slings and have you power out. If you have a deep keel, rudder, or prop, they will detach one end of the slings and let them fall to the bottom before you motor out. All this happens while wind and current are potentially moving your boat, so there are helpers who hold lines to keep the boat centered if needed.

So maybe Clearlyme can explain this maneuver and the reason why their operator(s) do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 05-12-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I've never seen it done in 40 years of hanging around and working in boatyards.

In fact I've never even heard of it until now.

Definitely qualifies as "Cowboy".

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 05-12-2013

I've been around boat yards my whole life and no, I have never seen anyone else do this pendulum manouver either. That's why we were so surpized when we saw the guy do it.
I don't know if that's what he was doing when this happened but the lift is bent up pretty bad. They are disassembling it for repair.
It is sitting toe in about 18" and at least three of the bolting flanges have been pulled and distorted out of shape. One of the flanges even popped a bolt off.
It landed on it's engine and stuffed the entire engine compartment and it's contents up into the frame.
In the mean time they do have a stationary crane set up, but the Travellift will be down foe a while.
Old 05-13-2013
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

I think its one of them new fancy quick launch lifts.
Minnewaska likes this.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.