Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2013
Retired Naval Architect

Roger Long is on a distinguished road
Anyone in Cape May?

I'm in Chesapeake City thinking of running down to Cape May tomorrow (May 8) with a group of other boats I know. They all have marina reservations but have been told the place is chock a block full of boats held up by weather and no more slips are to be had.

Does anyone know the situation out in the anchorage by the Coast Guard base? I've spent time there before but it can be a zoo when it's over full.

Any local knowledge about anchorage changes in Atlantic City due to Sandy also appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2013

gershel is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone in Cape May?

Hi, For the last several times I've been throuh Cape May, I've anchored behind the light( FR "14") where you turn for the canal. It's about 8' with good holding. In Atlantic City, many boats anchor by the CG station, but for better protection go across the inlet to Brigantine. The entrance is narrow and intimidating, but if you stay between the center and the left side there's plenty of water. Once you have the entrance lined up, use some landmarks behind you to act as a range, to keep the current from setting you sideways.
Marc

Last edited by gershel; 05-07-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-07-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Roger

The anchorage off of the Coast Guard can get "busy" Have you tried Utsches Marina? I would be surprised they have no room. Ask for Charlie or Wayne.

Also Atlantic City has the Farley Marina always slips but expensive in the summer maybe reduced rates now or Kammermans...inexpensive both are in Clam Creek.

As far as AC there are two anchorages we have anchored in..

The area west and slightly south of the Green 13 before the Brigantine Bridge was unaffected by Sandy. You will see 17-23 ft of water there, sandy bottom good holding. large current 2-3 knots and 7 ft tide change.

There is a great anchorage north of the Red 12 in the marshes and the channel leading to it is right before Rum Point. The directions for heading in are described really well in Active Captain as I recall. We used this, but have not since Sandy and this area may have been affected.

One last note: You could go to Cape Henlopen and anchor behind the breakwater. Lots of room there and Dave ( S/V Auspicious's favorite spot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-07-2013
Retired Naval Architect

Roger Long is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Have you tried Utsches Marina?
One of my friends got their last spot this afternoon. Cape May is choked with boats held up by this weird weather system that doesn't quit. That's why I'm concerned how full the anchorage may be.

I'm not in a great hurry. I might decide to run up to Philly just to do something different. Lots of marinas and an anchorage off the airport. I used to be a pilot so airport noise doesn't upset me too much.

Just a 38 mile run from here to Philly and then a doable 76 mile run down to Cape May. It might be a good way to kill time until the weather clears up.
Old 05-07-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

yes, it's been chilly at best here in South Jersey. Expecting rain the next couple of days too

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 05-07-2013

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road

There is always Lewes, DE across the bay. The city dock in right down town, and there is fine dining 1 block away. Of course you could also anchor a few hundred yards up the Broadkill, my home waters.
Dick
Old 05-07-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

What about behind Wildwood Crest or Wildwood proper? you would be at best only a couple of miles from Cape May

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 05-07-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Mad,

You cant get anchor back there with a keelboat. You d be in the navigational channel.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-08-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Mad,

You cant get anchor back there with a keelboat. You d be in the navigational channel.

Dave
Are you referring to Sunset Lake, just 3 n.m. north of the inlet on the Jersey ICW?

It is recommended as an anchorage by Schellenger in his classic "Cruising the Chesapeake" guide, with reported 7 to 29' depths. It appears there is a bascule bridge on my chart, so you should be able to make it.

Given the tremendous tidal current on Delaware River and Bay, I would not want to add mileage to the trek south by heading to Philadelphia. Seventy-six miles on the Delaware is quite a bit longer than seventy-six miles on the Chesapeake, when you consider an up-to-2 knot adverse current for at least 6 hours...

If you plan to sail north, Cape May is a good choice. It is a surprisingly long way across the Delaware Bay from Lewes to Cape May, with bloodthirsty flies, ship traffic and shoals in your path. (I would certainly defer to chef2Sail and S/V Auspicious [and JonEisberg and pdqair] as having more experience than most in that area of the world.)

Last edited by jameswilson29; 05-08-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-08-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

there are also docks and a marina in Wildwood Crest not far from the bridge. A couple of years ago I took a day charter on a tall ship out of there.

Sunset lake is another possibility. I think that was where Turtle Gut Inlet used to be