Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2013
Windseeker

theonecalledtom is on a distinguished road
Re: Singlehanding a 41' Hunter DS?

if you do buy a big new boat get some lessons in a rental - ding the dock with someone else's boat first...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2013

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networker View Post
Hi Andy, thanks for your reply. I don't have even a minute of experience on any boat larger than a canoe. Can't sail, but figured I could learn this summer. I was going to take ASA 101-104 lessons this summer, then get a boat this fall. If I can't do it on such a big boat, then its probably better to get a used starter boat and live in an apartment near the water. Or move up north with my friends and family and get some company on weekend trips. Just trying to look at what's realistic vs fantasy at this stage.

Thanks !!
There are lots of good people with lots of experience on this site that will be happy to share their knowledge.....and so will I!

It would be good to get some experience before plunking down the cash for a brand new boat, in my opinion.....the ASA courses are a great way to get the boat handling experience and chartering is a way to get a look at some different boats, but you could wind up owning a boat that isn't really suited to what you want to do with it if you don't take some time to learn about the amazing variety of boats that are available out there.

Another great way to get experience on a range of boats is to join a sailing club and volunteer as crew for races or as deck help on weekend daysails -whatever it takes to get out on the water!

Any way you go, best of luck in your adventures.
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Old 05-07-2013
Windseeker

theonecalledtom is on a distinguished road

At the very least smack into the dock with a rental a couple of times before you scar some brand new gel coat.

Old 05-07-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Keep in mind it's not just 'buying' the boat, it's the upkeep and maintenance ever thereafter. A 40+ footer is going to cost big on an ongoing basis. Also have you actually researched the costs of 'living aboard cheaply'? Moorage rates can be high, there may be liveaboard surcharges if indeed living aboard is even permitted, city/municipal taxes if so,... contrary to what many believe 'cheap' may not be the right buzzword.

Sorry, but with self confessed zero experience you're putting the cart before the horse.. rent, beg rides, charter, take courses, read, ask questions.. after a year or so of that sort of thing you'll have a much better idea of what's realistic vs whats imagination.

And if indeed money is no object, spend some time looking around at what many would consider more premium brands.. Hunters are OK but there are much nicer/better boats out there for someone with some (or a lot of) cash to spend.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-08-2013
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

Yes you can 41' is not that big and within a short period of time you will be wondering what you were worried about, in fact you may wish you had gone a bit bigger. If you stick with a sloop then 45' is about max to be able to move sails on and off the boat as they do get heavy with size. If you go bigger get a ketch, this would also mean you are a recluse and don't plan on having contact with others of you species . Getting sail on and off the boat is not an every day occurrence and you should be able to get help with that at the time. You will need an auto pilot and that it. Bow thruster, well I would love to have one but as I don't, I do without. The other thing is things happen slower on bigger boats. Get the boat you like and can afford and enjoy,

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 05-08-2013
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
...Since I'd be living there for 2 years, I'd want a brand new boat that's somewhat large so I can live comfortably, yet not so large that I can't sail it solo. Money isn't an object, rather getting a decent sized boat that I can sail and live on is more my consideration. I can get a 50 or 60' if I wanted...
I wonder why a catamaran isn't mentioned? There are no better sailing live aboards than a catamaran, and a 40' cat equals the interior space of a 60' monohull. Scale up as required 1.5 to 1.

All it takes is a check with a few zeros after the first digit, and he says that's not a problem.

Puzzling....

Old 05-08-2013

BCC1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Yes you can 41' is not that big and within a short period of time you will be wondering what you were worried about, in fact you may wish you had gone a bit bigger. If you stick with a sloop then 45' is about max to be able to move sails on and off the boat as they do get heavy with size. If you go bigger get a ketch, this would also mean you are a recluse and don't plan on having contact with others of you species . Getting sail on and off the boat is not an every day occurrence and you should be able to get help with that at the time. You will need an auto pilot and that it. Bow thruster, well I would love to have one but as I don't, I do without. The other thing is things happen slower on bigger boats. Get the boat you like and can afford and enjoy,
I agree.

First boat was a 38, second a 47, third a 41. All new.

The selling yard will give you an orientation. Hire a delivery Captain to help/ teach you on the trip to your marina,

Get a bow thruster. Autopilot. Put fenders or rubber trim on your dock (preferably floating dock).

I had no sailing experience when I bought my 38. IMO, a bigger boat is easier to learn on because it is more forgiving in wind gusts and to beginner trimming mistakes.

I singlehanded the 47 footer all the time. With the bow thruster docking was much easier than the 38 without. The 41 with thruster is easy.

Have fun. A 41 is a great size for a livaboard and new Hunters are great coastal cruisers. Mine have been Catalina and Beneteau, but the 3 brands are similar.
Old 05-08-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Can't sail, but figured I could learn this summer. I was going to take ASA 101-104 lessons this summer, then get a boat this fall.
This is a good approach. Right now it's all theoretical and pictures in brochures. By the time you finish the 104 course you'll have time sailing boats in the 30-40 foot range and a better idea of what it means to handle a boat that size.

A good stop in the fall is the Annapolis or Miami boat shows. You'll get a chance to step aboard new boats from a lot of different manufacturers. If you're buying new there are also some very good deals to be had at the shows on both boats and all the gear you'll need to equip yours.

Best of luck, you'll enjoy the ASA courses.
bigdogandy likes this.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 05-08-2013

lajimo is on a distinguished road
Singlehanding a 41' Hunter DS?

A new hunter 41 will be easy to singlehand once you get the hang of it. I went a similar route 18 months ago with a 1985 Hunter 40 (money is an issue!) and single hand frequently.

Your plan for ASA courses is sound, that's a good start. I spent a year taking courses and then renting a variety of boats for daysails from the place that gave the courses - sailed everything from a Watkins 27 to a Beneteau 39, including single handing. Helped immensely but I found that the first 20 trips on my own boat was the real education.

On my boat the most important things for single handing are the autopilot and preset dock lines for entering and leaving the slip. If I could add one thing it would be an electric winch to help raise the mainsail - but if you get mainsail furling then not so much of an issue. I don't understand all the comments about bowthrusters - with a little practice docking becomes second nature, even singlehanded.
Old 05-08-2013

flandria is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to flandria

I believe that Beneteau has devised and demonstrated a boat handling system that allows very good and tight control in confined areas/marinas on their new boats. Since money is no object, why not check it out before you"give up".

Spend some time and money learning to dock (in and out) NOW. Perhaps a
Boat dealer can find someone you can hire for that?

Good luck!