Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Re: Singlehanding a 41' Hunter DS?

I know you are starting a new phase in your life and doing it on a sailboat sounds romantic. In truth being a liveaboard means you will do less sailing. Even a larger sailboat will have limited space but the more you pack a life into it the harder it is to unplug all the lines and go out.

Get a nice condo a bit away from the water and a nice used 35' sailboat in a nice marina. You'll have a home to live in and store stuff and a waterfront condo to spend weekends on, that will be easier to sail. If you are loving the boating waterfront lifestyle a year later then buy the right boat. There is lots of ways to learn to sail the boat, start reading, take ASA courses, hire a captain, or stock the boat with beer and let the other liveaboards know about it, I am sure you will find someone to help you sail the boat.

Here in SD there are Meetup groups, where I can sail almost 5 days a week on other peoples boats. I am sure there is places like that in Miami and SF also
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC1 View Post
The overwhelming majority of guys actually leaving the dock and sailing most weekends at my marina are folks on newer coastal cruisers, with comfy spacious berths, often with bow thrusters, in-mast mains, air conditioners and large wide open cockpits. The ones rarely leaving the dock....aren't.

I ain't no expert and I unfortunately didn't grow up sailing small, but I'm on my 'big' boat sailing the Bay most every weekend, April to November.

The OP does not need to get a power boat, simply because he isn't following your path. Different strokes.

Me? Hopefully I'll be out gunkholing. Or visiting a local yacht club.
Well, nice to hear that you're seeing so many folks in your marina out sailing... However, as jephotog has noted, weekend sailing is often a whole different ballgame from the type of sailing liveaboards in a marina typically do... Walk the docks in any marina in South Florida, the liveaboards are conspicuous by how tethered to the dock they have become, how much crap has piled up on deck, the prevalence of sun awnings that would take at least half an hour to dismantle and stow before getting underway, and so on... Not to mention, the amount of growth one sees on so many bottoms... The fact is, in my observation, the overwhelming majority of marina liveaboards in S Florida appear to do precious little sailing...

Living aboard fulltime, the OP will be in Cruisingdad's category of a boat laden down with 'stuff'... Much of the recent thread on Racers for Cruising boats seemed to justify how little sailing many liveaboards do as a result of the boat's performance being compromised by the additional burden, especially in lighter air, and his example of a friend who put his asymetrical spinnaker into storage because he needed the space for more household 'stuff' should be a cautionary one, for any prospective marina liveaboard who thinks he's gonna do a lot of sailing...

My recommendation of a powerboat was somewhat tongue in cheek, but for liveaboard comfort in boats of equivalent size, in general the choice of a powerboat will be a no-brainer... And since the OP claims money is not an issue, presumably the cost of operation will not be, either... A weekend trip over to Bimini would be in the cards, Key West and return could easily be done in a long weekend, as opposed to the week or more such a trip usually requires under sail...

It simply amazes me how many folks seem so eager to jump in with both feet with so little experience, and any real knowledge as to whether they are actually gonna wind up liking sailing, in the long run... Many people return from a charter in the BVIs convinced that the cruising life is for them, but the OP doesn't seem to have even gone that far, yet... Mind you, I'm not complaining that some do so, for the eventual realization that sailing was not really all that they thought it might be has provided me with plenty of delivery work over the years... (grin)
jephotog, Faster and casey1999 like this.
Old 05-09-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

To the OP,
Here is a lot of good single hand sailing information:
http://sfbaysss.org/tipsbook/SinglehandedTips.pdf
outbound likes this.
Old 05-09-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Singlehanding a 41' Hunter DS?

So Networker, what are your current thoughts? We've thrown a lot of info your way.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-09-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

I would also look at a Beneteau Oceanis 41 with "dock and go". Worth a look.
Oceanis 41 / Oceanis / Sailing Yachts - BENETEAU
Old 05-09-2013

Networker is on a distinguished road

Current thoughts are:

1. Going to spend a month in Miami starting Memorial Day to see if I like the place.

2. As part of that, going to take some charter cruises to see if I like sailing (i've done some in the past and have enjoyed it, but now that I'm considering owning a boat, will look at it differently).

3. If I like that, going to take the ASA courses in June.

4. In parallel, going to look at apartments on South Beach and near some marina's to compare that to living in a boat.

5. Going to look at some boats and see if I can actually live in it without feeling like a hermit. Also taking everyone's comments into consideration that I need to be careful if I live full time on a boat not to overload it with stuff, else I won't sail it, I will need to live a minimalist-zen lifestyle while on the boat which is ok with me.

6. After all that, I need to determine if Miami is the right place, and if so, what's the best way to pull it off. Seems single-handing a boat can be done, just need to determine if it's the right lifestyle for me for the next year or two while I get life back on track.

The appealing thing of doing this is I'd save so much living on a boat while potentially living in a vacation-like atmosphere. The downside is it's a completely foreign experience from what I'm used to. I'm only 35, so need to see if I can live a single lifestyle on the boat.
casey1999 likes this.
Old 05-09-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

all good nw. have fun and best wishes on your new life.
Old 05-09-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysails View Post
I would also look at a Beneteau Oceanis 41 with "dock and go". Worth a look.
Oceanis 41 / Oceanis / Sailing Yachts - BENETEAU
A lot of the new boat designs are going like the Oceanis 41- wide beam carried far aft. The boat looks like it has a relatively flat bottom- how does a boat like this go to weather? Does she pound?
Old 05-09-2013
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna

I live in Miami and on a Hunter 36, single hand my boat all the time and wouldn't trade it for nothing. It is a different lifestyle than dirt dwelling. No matter what size boat you have, YOU NEVER HAVE enough space. Living on a sailboat is compromise, after compromise. It is not for everyone. There are two types of liveaboards, those that take the boat out and those that are dockumimiums. Each one is done on a different style boats it seems. Just depends on what you want to do, Sail or live on the water in a boat.
AC is required in Miami most of the year but so do most places during the summer. I would say 3-4 months of the year I shut mine down. Hurricanes are the biggest problems on what to do with the boat but now so does the entire east coast seems to have that problem as well.
Now for Hunter, I would take it over most production boats if I was single handling due to all controls at the helm station vs over the cabin top. That alone is worth to me a million because I have total control over my boat at all times without leaving the helm station due to the arch set-up. The arch set-uo is a either you love it or hate it as far as general looks.
casey1999 likes this.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 05-09-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Current thoughts are:

1. Going to spend a month in Miami starting Memorial Day to see if I like the place.

2. As part of that, going to take some charter cruises to see if I like sailing (i've done some in the past and have enjoyed it, but now that I'm considering owning a boat, will look at it differently).

3. If I like that, going to take the ASA courses in June.

4. In parallel, going to look at apartments on South Beach and near some marina's to compare that to living in a boat.

5. Going to look at some boats and see if I can actually live in it without feeling like a hermit. Also taking everyone's comments into consideration that I need to be careful if I live full time on a boat not to overload it with stuff, else I won't sail it, I will need to live a minimalist-zen lifestyle while on the boat which is ok with me.

6. After all that, I need to determine if Miami is the right place, and if so, what's the best way to pull it off. Seems single-handing a boat can be done, just need to determine if it's the right lifestyle for me for the next year or two while I get life back on track.

The appealing thing of doing this is I'd save so much living on a boat while potentially living in a vacation-like atmosphere. The downside is it's a completely foreign experience from what I'm used to. I'm only 35, so need to see if I can live a single lifestyle on the boat.
I think thats some great planning. Very good approach.

And....remember this, at your age (any age) chicks love boats