Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2013

Networker is on a distinguished road
Singlehanding a 41' Hunter DS?

I'm recently single and selling my house. Considering moving to Miami and living on a boat in a nice Marina to save money. Since I'd be living there for 2 years, I'd want a brand new boat that's somewhat large so I can live comfortably, yet not so large that I can't sail it solo. Money isn't an object, rather getting a decent sized boat that I can sail and live on is more my consideration. I can get a 50 or 60' if I wanted, and they look quite livable, but they had 6 and 7 foot drafts which would limit my Keys and Bahamas sailing, and I sincerely doubt anyone can sail it alone?

So, after doing some research, the 2013 Hunter 41' DS looks big enough, has a 'master bedroom,' and a 5' keel so I could do some sailing in Keys and Bahamas. It has a shower, and if I find a nice marina, can pull up to luxury one with pool and facilities.

My question is if the boat is too big to sail on alone if I wanted to?

Thanks for any advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2013

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road
Re: Singlehanding a 41' Hunter DS?

Welcome to Sailnet, Networker.

Sailing a 41' boat singlehandedly can be done, but how well it can be done and how safely depends on the skill and experience of the sailor. Unless you have considerable experience getting any boat over 30' or so into and out of a slip singlehanded is going to be a handful in all but the calmest weather.
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Old 05-07-2013

Networker is on a distinguished road

Hi Andy, thanks for your reply. I don't have even a minute of experience on any boat larger than a canoe. Can't sail, but figured I could learn this summer. I was going to take ASA 101-104 lessons this summer, then get a boat this fall. If I can't do it on such a big boat, then its probably better to get a used starter boat and live in an apartment near the water. Or move up north with my friends and family and get some company on weekend trips. Just trying to look at what's realistic vs fantasy at this stage.

Thanks !!
Old 05-07-2013

ronspiker is on a distinguished road

Like bigdogandy says. Sailing is easy. If you can get the sails up, I'm assuming you are in good health. The issue is going to be getting into and out of your slip. You can get a bow thruster and that would help. The issue that might come up is if it is too hard to sail you won't. You will just sit at the dock and that would be a waste.
Old 05-07-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

If money is not anissue, it certainly eliminates most of the problems. Why bother go for a Hunter when you can get a 2013 Hallberg Rassy 412.

Hallberg-Rassy - Yachts - Aft Cockpit Boats

The boat was designed to handled by just one finger and occasionally may be two fingers. Make sure you watch the video .

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-07-2013

msogin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networker View Post
Hi Andy, thanks for your reply. I don't have even a minute of experience on any boat larger than a canoe. Can't sail, but figured I could learn this summer. I was going to take ASA 101-104 lessons this summer, then get a boat this fall. If I can't do it on such a big boat, then its probably better to get a used starter boat and live in an apartment near the water. Or move up north with my friends and family and get some company on weekend trips. Just trying to look at what's realistic vs fantasy at this stage.

Thanks !!
The first large boat I owned was a Beneteau 411. Admittedly I had experience sailing and racing dingy's like Flying Dutchman, Snipes, Lightnings and Thistles, but within a few weeks I was fully comfortable sailing the 411 single handed. In fact I found sailing the 411 to be much easier than any of the small boats that I previously owned. The biggest challenge was picking up a mooring line. If money is no object, buy a boat with a bow thruster to make docking relatively easy. You also will want a furling jib/genoa and furling mainsail. And of course a good autopilot is important.
Old 05-07-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

You might look at a Nonsuch 33 or 36. Very easy to sail since there is only one big sail to handle. Quite beamy so there is lots of room including a shower. Older boats but many have been very well looked after. A good idea to get a bow thruster installed.
Back to Grenada in early December. Not sure I will remember how to sail. Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 05-07-2013

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't have even a minute of experience on any boat larger than a canoe. Can't sail, but figured I could learn this summer.
If you have to ask the question, I believe in all sincerity and humility that you already have your answer.
Jumping headlong into a "Big Boat" without the years of experience that it takes to become a "Sailor" is not at all recommended.
Charter starting at 25' and sail solo,working your way up to 40+ and I promise you that your perspective will be altered, big time.
Dick
BTW, I'm 77 and have been sailing since age 12.
Old 05-07-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Thanks !!
If this is the case, why such a rush to buy a boat new or used. Learn to sail and take time to make the right decision. The wind and ocean will be there when you are ready.

YMMV.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-07-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

another advantage to learning to sail first is you can make a more informed decision on what you want in a boat. there is a huge spectrum of types of vessels at any given size and cost. depending on what aspects of the sailing life you are drawn to as you learn will have significant impact on what vessel you will choose.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.