SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Seeking WARATAH yacht plans please (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/99288-seeking-waratah-yacht-plans-please.html)

djaustralia 05-08-2013 04:49 AM

Seeking WARATAH yacht plans please

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/member...ll-1975-76.jpg This is the "modified" Waratah twin bilge keel masthead sloop built by my grandfather in the 70's. My mum passed the plans down to me but I bought a dog many years ago and it chewed up some of the sheets. I would like fresh copies of sheet's no: 2, 4, 7.. If anyone has these plans I want to hear from you. The Waratah is a Dennis knight design @ 21ft. I'm also keen to find the yacht pictured above. Then named ORION 3 @ 23ft in length, sold in Tasmania in the late 70's and sailed to King Island, Bass strait.

Classic30 05-08-2013 10:49 PM

Re: Seeking WARATAH yacht plans please

DJ,

It appears you've been trying very hard for a long time to find these plans and it would seem that no-one knows of the yacht or the designer else surely they would have replied by now.

The late '70's was a boom-time in backyard boat-building in Australia and many budding designers appeared - inspired by the "rags-to-riches" stories and books of yacht plans produced by famous Aussie and Kiwi designers like Alan Payne, Joe Adams, Bob Miller, Bruce Farr and Richard Hartley (to name a few) - and hoping to follow in the footsteps of their heroes. It seems likely that Dennis Knight was one of the many who tried, and failed.

To continue the search, I'd suggest you contact the Australian National Maritime Museum and ask them to check their archives.. If this guy was better than most, you might be lucky. :)

djaustralia 05-09-2013 03:51 AM

Are you saying that I should no longer post threads on this site regarding the yacht in question?. There is no harm in this in my opinion. Even re-posting the same info should be acceptable as after a while, and many new threads, our post's slowly go down the list. Most people don't read or reply to threads that are more than a couple of weeks old as the assumption is that the thread starter has aquired the information they seek. In other forums I have actually been wrapped on the proverbial knuckles for bumping old theads to the top again. You say 'no-one knows' of the plans or the yacht I seek, so what if someone should happen to sign up for the first time and read my thread and have the info' I'm looking for? Are you a moderator on this site? As I would expect a suggestion such as yours to come from a person in such a position. I have my reasons for being here as I'm sure you do too. So do me the courtesy of not peering over my fence if you don't like whats being said over here. I will also inquire with the ANMM so thankyou.

SimonV 05-09-2013 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djaustralia (Post 1027592)
Are you saying that I should no longer post threads on this site regarding the yacht in question?. There is no harm in this in my opinion. Even re-posting the same info should be acceptable as after a while, and many new threads, our post's slowly go down the list. Most people don't read or reply to threads that are more than a couple of weeks old as the assumption is that the thread starter has aquired the information they seek. In other forums I have actually been wrapped on the proverbial knuckles for bumping old theads to the top again. You say 'no-one knows' of the plans or the yacht I seek, so what if someone should happen to sign up for the first time and read my thread and have the info' I'm looking for? Are you a moderator on this site? As I would expect a suggestion such as yours to come from a person in such a position. I have my reasons for being here as I'm sure you do too. So do me the courtesy of not peering over my fence if you don't like whats being said over here. I will also inquire with the ANMM so thankyou.

Well that's one way to endear yourself to someone who may have put some serious effort into solving your problem. Not a good move, but thats just my opinion,:eek:

krisscross 05-09-2013 04:09 PM

DJ, that boat looks like it is made of plywood, which is not very durable even when fiberglassed over. After 40 years it is most likely gone. I do not want to dampen your spirit, but a chance of finding it is slim to none. You might be able to find the plans and build a new one.
Best of luck to you, my friend.

deniseO30 05-09-2013 04:41 PM

Looks like your getting scolded pretty well over in Wooden Boat Forum DJ.
OLD YACHT PLANS.What are they worth, can I sell copies to the public?

Classic30 05-09-2013 07:31 PM

It looks like there's nothing more for me to say that hasn't been said already many times by many people.

A sad case indeed.. :eek:

djaustralia 05-09-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deniseO30 (Post 1027840)
Looks like your getting scolded pretty well over in Wooden Boat Forum DJ.
OLD YACHT PLANS.What are they worth, can I sell copies to the public?

That thread was closed weeks ago!

djaustralia 05-09-2013 10:11 PM

I'm suprised by all the negativity here. I'm simply trying to seek answers. Isn't that what people sign up on forums for? Your all so busy jumping in to add your opinions that you havn't stopped to consider wether you actually should should. As I said, someone new could sign up here any time and have the answers I seek. The yacht existed so someone must know about it. Just keep your opinions to yourselves and leave me and my threads be. If I break any rules on this forum I'm sure the mod's will let me know. So far i've not heard from them.

djaustralia 05-09-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hartley18 (Post 1027904)
It looks like there's nothing more for me to say that hasn't been said already many times by many people.

A sad case indeed.. :eek:

Here's my point...if you've nothing to add, why leave another comment????